#61  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:33 PM
johnrhouck johnrhouck is offline
.:Master Course Designer:.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin TX
Years Playing: 43.9
Posts: 616
Niced 244 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorent View Post
John, I live in the area and have played with several people who are pretty plugged in to the local scene that say that the course was redesigned without you having been there and actually walking the course. Could you comment on this?
Gotta love disc golf rumors. This one is almost Hall of Fame quality

Other than the 80-100 hours that I spent on site, and the 20+ hours off site, this rumor is absolutely, 100%, completely true.

I can assure that the parks guys cursed every time they saw me coming. We joked about it, and they would always say, "We're going to be done after today, right?" And the answer was always "Nope, sorry, see you soon." Truth is that they were amazing. And still are. Work continues.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:58 PM
moorent moorent is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Courses Played: 34
Posts: 557
Niced 12 Times in 3 Posts
Default

That's what I figured; good to hear. I hope to get over there sometime in the next week and try the new course first-hand.

I appreciate the response and will be sure to correct this story if I hear it again.

Last edited by moorent; 03-18-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:58 PM
Greg Hensley Greg Hensley is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I believe the old course was laid out lot better than what is there now.......first view holes are crammed together and now you have to wait for people to get out of the way before teeing off and they are not even on the hole you are playing, you need to keep looking for Disc so you don't get hit in the head.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-19-2019, 01:10 AM
mark996's Avatar
mark996 mark996 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,486
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhouck View Post
Gotta love disc golf rumors. This one is almost Hall of Fame quality

Other than the 80-100 hours that I spent on site, and the 20+ hours off site, this rumor is absolutely, 100%, completely true.

I can assure that the parks guys cursed every time they saw me coming. We joked about it, and they would always say, "We're going to be done after today, right?" And the answer was always "Nope, sorry, see you soon." Truth is that they were amazing. And still are. Work continues.
I can attest that John was on site and walking the course with range finder and tablet in hand several times. He even texted my number on a few discs that I had lost to let me know he turned them in to the parks dept so I could pick them up.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-19-2019, 01:11 AM
mark996's Avatar
mark996 mark996 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,486
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hensley View Post
I believe the old course was laid out lot better than what is there now.......first view holes are crammed together and now you have to wait for people to get out of the way before teeing off and they are not even on the hole you are playing, you need to keep looking for Disc so you don't get hit in the head.
I can agree with this actually. Hole 1 and 2 I think are fine, it's 3,4,5 that are gonna create some bottlenecks. I'm playing the A tier this weekend there and will report back what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-19-2019, 02:07 AM
johnrhouck johnrhouck is offline
.:Master Course Designer:.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin TX
Years Playing: 43.9
Posts: 616
Niced 244 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
I can attest that John was on site and walking the course with range finder and tablet in hand several times. He even texted my number on a few discs that I had lost to let me know he turned them in to the parks dept so I could pick them up.
Mark, are you serious? That was you -- who knew?
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-21-2019, 03:35 PM
mark996's Avatar
mark996 mark996 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,486
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Andy and the parks crew are doing a lot of work at the park today, branches getting trimmed, mulch getting laid, trees getting planted (was actually kind of neat watching them plant a cedar at 5's teepad, that truck is a beast).

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-22-2019, 12:12 AM
cydisc's Avatar
cydisc cydisc is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ames, IA
Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 240
Posts: 994
Niced 34 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Y'all plant cedars? On purpose?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-22-2019, 12:42 AM
johnrhouck johnrhouck is offline
.:Master Course Designer:.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin TX
Years Playing: 43.9
Posts: 616
Niced 244 Times in 60 Posts
Default

First time for everything, I reckon. But these are not the Ashe Junipers we all know and don’t love in central Texas.

These are Eastern Red cedars, I believe. And they definitely serve a purpose.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #70  
Old 03-23-2019, 02:19 PM
eegor's Avatar
eegor eegor is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DFW...Tejas
Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 131
Posts: 3,633
Niced 183 Times in 95 Posts
Default

The course lost a lot of trees during the droughts since it was first installed. The cedars endure the changing North Texas weather really well.

Losing the big tree at the bottom of the gully on old #2 is probably why we lost that hole. It prevented drives from going left to the sidewalk. You can't really replace a tree that was over 40 feet tall.

Change is going to happen. I'm glad they're planting the trees.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HOD 10/9/2017: Harry Myers DGC Hole 8 in Rockwall, TX fritothedog Hole of the Day 20 10-22-2017 08:39 PM
HOD 4/18/2016: Harry Myers DGC Hole 18 in Rockwall, TX fritothedog Hole of the Day 28 04-29-2016 10:05 PM
Harry Myers, Rockwall, Tx - New Pin Placements? sayhellotolane Course Development 0 09-07-2014 11:23 PM
Harry Myers Park - Rockwall, TX ntxdiscgolf Disc Golf Courses 20 08-29-2013 11:23 AM
Rockwall Texas - Harry Myers Club? Marty McFly Disc Golf Courses 30 01-02-2010 12:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.