Old 05-09-2019, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 484
Niced 72 Times in 22 Posts

Indeed, the mystical part of the show was great; knowing as little as the characters themselves really helped to relate with them and get invested. Now it's Bran knows all, good luck everybody else (including the audience).

I think my favorite scene is still when

the Cartstarks (sp) burst into the room with the young Lannister cousins. The young lads say "is this a rescue??", before one of them gets immediately stabbed. No pomp, no emotion, just - that's how things work around here! Welcome to Westeros!

And they've completely gone away from that. Plot armor has become the norm these days, which the show was renowned for avoiding.

The kid in me is hoping this season so far has been a distraction, a deception to lull us into a state of general disinterest so they can BLINDSIDE us in the last episode or two.

The adult in me almost knew they would chicken out and make the most Milquetoast, unoriginal, lowest common denominator ending.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 148
Niced 291 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notapro View Post
Ha, I just necro-bumped the other thread, when the party was in here!!!

I want them to do something crazy with Bran, or something equally mind-bending and original. But it seems likely that they are going with Sonic's #2 scenario above. The easiest of the easy way outs...

But, if they DO go with something like scenario #1, it could be the greatest story ever told. I put the odds at 0.5%.
There are a number of great possible directions to go, though at the moment they're running short on time to pull any of them off. Even the 3ER as evil story. I think that they could have a fantastic finish
with Dany going full on mad queen, Jon falling in at her heels, and the story being all about every effort to break the wheel being futile. I'm not saying it's a happy ending - but it'd be a strong way to bring the entire theme full circle. I was reading last night about GRRM's relationship with Tolkein and how Tolkein represented power in his writing - GRRM's main quibble is "what about all those times you don't get the 'good king'?" He stated that Benioff/Weiss guessed the ending he had planned, and this would fall in line somewhat with his pessimism. All told that's one thing I like about GRRM (and Orson Scott Card when he does fantasy) - he writes from the pessimistic perspective. Usually in fantastical writing the pessimist drifts toward horror and not swords and sorcery.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 121 Times in 33 Posts

I agree 100% with Sonic's assessment ::shudders::

I'd hold out hope that Bran is indeed the bad guy, but the writing has been so terrible lately that there's no indication it can possibly end up that way.

Shame, was such a great series for so long.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 135
Niced 1,000 Times in 531 Posts

Y'all are making me want to drop my plan of binge watching this whole show once it's finally over.....

Niced: (1)
Old 05-09-2019, 02:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 27
Niced 121 Times in 33 Posts

Still binge worthy, IMO. The ending is probably not as bad as we're making it out to be either. I mean, I'll still be glued to the TV on Sunday night.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:06 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 127
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 315 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscgolfStu View Post
Still binge worthy, IMO. The ending is probably not as bad as we're making it out to be either. I mean, I'll still be glued to the TV on Sunday night.
It shouldn't be as bad as Seinfeld's ending. Or more recently, How I Met Your Mother. Both shows I love(d) (Seinfeld more than HIMYM), but just had lackluster finale's that made me go, "Really? This is what we're left with?"
Old 05-09-2019, 03:26 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,144 Times in 741 Posts

I have hope that their is one more good twist of the knife yet to come.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Banned but not forgotten

Niced 597 Times in 318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Y'all are making me want to drop my plan of binge watching this whole show once it's finally over.....
Binge worthy but damn, it’s a lot of hours of programming. Probably take less time to read all the books once the whole thing is written.

But yeah, there are better shows but definitely worse shows as well. You almost have to watch GoT for the cultural zeitgeist. How have you had an office conversation without watching it?
Old 05-09-2019, 03:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 135
Niced 1,000 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Binge worthy but damn, it’s a lot of hours of programming. Probably take less time to read all the books once the whole thing is written.

But yeah, there are better shows but definitely worse shows as well. You almost have to watch GoT for the cultural zeitgeist. How have you had an office conversation without watching it?
Yeah, it's a long show, but I got through all of Sopranos in like a month. That's my plan with GoT.

I don't care about spoilers, so people talking about it doesn't bother me. And I think I know enough about it from hearing all the conversations that I can get through a conversation about it with no one realizing I've never seen it.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:41 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 41
Niced 743 Times in 423 Posts

With this binge conversation starting I just need to say two words: The Wire.

SO. DAMN. GOOD.

I'm with Moose...no way these last few episodes are complete and utter ****. Does an ending [royal] you weren't looking for still count as good if it's done properly?