Old 10-02-2019, 12:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,000 Times in 531 Posts

I flip flop almost every year between champ Sidewinders and Valkyries.

I've been mostly going with Valks lately as they stay just a tad more stable when broken in.

I currently bag a champ Mamba for my super flippy spot, but my ideal disc there is a SUPER beat champ SW. Man, I had a couple of those that were just MONEY. Basically mamba level US SW, but I like the rim on SWs better than Mambas.

But I lost them, and then it's a total pita to replace a disc like that, so I just starting going with Mambas as they are at the right under-stability out of the box.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-02-2019, 12:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 48
Niced 879 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post

I've been mostly going with Valks lately as they stay just a tad more stable when broken in.

I currently bag a champ Mamba for my super flippy spot, but my ideal disc there is a SUPER beat champ SW. Man, I had a couple of those that were just MONEY. Basically mamba level US SW, but I like the rim on SWs better than Mambas.

But I lost them, and then it's a total pita to replace a disc like that, so I just starting going with Mambas as they are at the right under-stability out of the box.
Can a Valk keep up distance wise?
Old 10-02-2019, 12:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,602 Times in 1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Anyone thrown CD2s vs Sidewinders? I hear they are pretty similar, maybe CD2 a couple notches more stable?
I've only thrown a few CD2's and they were all S-line, likely molded a couple seasons ago. So what I'm saying is I don't know how much they can vary.

But to me the CD2's were like a beat in Thunderbird that is very workable, or the flight shape of what McBeth smashing a Thunderbird looked like but for a normal arm speed. Like a -0.5/2 flight...it would pop up but still have a fade. Also, lasers on FH shots for me that would drift a bit on a hyzer flip and have enough LSS to come out of it well.

The SW is shaped more US in the rim, so if you turn it over it will stay that way. When they beat in they will slowly turn for the whole flight and the fade will help pan it back to not cut roll, but it won't flex out of that flight. Even Champ SW that are really beefy for a SW will fly similar to a CD2 on slight hyzer flips, but my gut feeling is if they get turned from torque/anny/wind they show their underlying US characteristics more.

I could see a less stable SW and a CD2 of the stability I have thrown working very well together. Just my experience is champ SW are far more stable than expected, like -1/2 in flight...great discs and tons of glide on golf shots, just not a turnover flippy driver if that's what you're expecting. I think if you want the disc to hold its line if you're off your game or the conditions are a bit windy then CD2 is better, and if you want the disc to be capable of left to right lines then SW is better.

SW's are so good, they go so far and are very forgiving. They should be one of the most popular molds out there, and if they were re-marketed the glide number should be 6.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,174 Times in 455 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post

I have some champ SWs pfn that might fit this for you. I'm at work now but this evening I can show you what I have. They are in the upper 160s in weight.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 135
Niced 1,000 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Can a Valk keep up distance wise?
Yeah, they are only a touch more stable, comparing new ones (the new champ SWs are pretty beef compared to older or used ones). Honestly, at my distance (like max 375' on a crush), there's only a slight difference between them. They may give up a few feet to a SW, but on the other hand, they have a touch more fade so I can crank on em a bit more.

It's a toss up, which is why I flip flop so much. When I lose the one in my bag, I replace it with whatever I have on hand, whichever mold it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I have some champ SWs pfn that might fit this for you. I'm at work now but this evening I can show you what I have. They are in the upper 160s in weight.
I may be interested...hit me up.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-02-2019, 03:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 223
Niced 2,164 Times in 1,228 Posts

which sw they vary so much

my buddy throws a new run champ as a fh roller disc and for a overstable control driver

i got a gstarrr sw in the bag that i use for hyzerflips

ive only thrown early runs of gstarrr but those have been the closest to the pfn champ sw flight which imo was the "true" sw flight
Old 10-02-2019, 03:03 PM
* Ace Member *

also i started a thread back in the day about sw changing the nose

something like "champ sidewinder variation" or whatever
Old 10-02-2019, 03:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Niced 986 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
also i started a thread back in the day about sw changing the nose
Innova molds the Orion LS (OLS) for Millennium. The OLS is the Sidewinder mold with an added nose spacer. The OLS is more evenly stable than the Sidewinder. Don't expect much turn out of them at all, especially if they are new.

Some of these OLSes have been accidentally (?) mis-stamped as Sidewinders. In know this is true because I have at least one of them. Some people are probably disappointed to find out their new "Sidewinder" is even more overstable than a normal new Sidewinder. Overall, OLSes are great discs... but won't fly like the 9/5/-3/1 flight numbers.

That is the only "nose change" I know of. I have since bought new Sidewinders and they are the proper mold configuration. It's always a good idea to buy discs in person when you can
Old 10-02-2019, 03:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Innova molds the Orion LS (OLS) for Millennium. The OLS is the Sidewinder mold with an added nose spacer. The OLS is more evenly stable than the Sidewinder. Don't expect much turn out of them at all, especially if they are new.

Some of these OLSes have been accidentally (?) mis-stamped as Sidewinders. In know this is true because I have at least one of them. Some people are probably disappointed to find out their new "Sidewinder" is even more overstable than a normal new Sidewinder. Overall, OLSes are great discs... but won't fly like the 9/5/-3/1 flight numbers.

That is the only "nose change" I know of. I have since bought new Sidewinders and they are the proper mold configuration. It's always a good idea to buy discs in person when you can
i got gggt in the area

ill peep my buddies disc i admittedly havent bought any new sw cuz of the mess up

so current run champ sw are back to the "true" sw flight

Old 10-02-2019, 03:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Niced 986 Times in 439 Posts

This link will break in a few weeks because the image is on Facebook. The extra parting line is an accidental artifact from the injection molding process. This is the easiest way to visualize the added nose spacer and differentiate between the OLS and the Sidewinder.

If you want an overstable (relatively) Sidewinder, look for that second parting line. Or just buy an OLS