Old 01-16-2020, 11:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default Driving Putter Grip

I've always had trouble throwing putters off the tee. My biggest hurdle is the depth- even some putters that aren't so deep like Aviars are problematic for me. When I throw with a fan grip, it's not firm enough and the disc slips out early. If I try a more firm grip, my fingers get caught on the inside of the rim.

I know it's tricky without a video showing my form/grip, but I'm curious- how do people throw driving putters? I've always wanted to be able to throw deeper putters for finese and glide, but just can't get the grip down. My form is not the (biggest) issue here- I can throw shallow putters and understable mids just fine without OAT or wobble.

***I AM NOT looking for disc recommendations. I love my Pilots, Envys, and Proxys. I just want to be able to throw a different kind of disc for flexibility***
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2020, 02:47 AM
Par Member

Niced 60 Times in 42 Posts

I throw a lot of putters and have small hands. I use kind of a modified fan grip for lack of a better description. Kind of hard to describe but I can try to get you a picture in the morning.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:53 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 893 Times in 742 Posts

I have very small hands too and when I threw a #2 Upshot in Prosyle I would use a power grip with pointer/first/index finger out on the rim touching the bead. I would also not recommend using the same mold you putt with as a main driving putter unless you use a less deep mold Aviar type or less or a no on an odd wing in the case of the Magnet/Titanic, Clutch or Hydra possibly other wing/nose that prevents a good rip on the disc. Deep wing putters are hard to get flying further without having to put max all out power on such a slow disc, same of too OS putter and to US of putter is going to be too touchy.

Currently I use a Shark for Driving putter slot, domed discs are best and Star is my choice for driving plastic right now.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 01-17-2020 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:07 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 18
Niced 196 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1discChallenge View Post
I've always had trouble throwing putters off the tee. My biggest hurdle is the depth- even some putters that aren't so deep like Aviars are problematic for me. When I throw with a fan grip, it's not firm enough and the disc slips out early. If I try a more firm grip, my fingers get caught on the inside of the rim.
I had a similar issue. I hated throwing my scale because it just felt so uncomfortable as deep as it was and then to compound things, while I liked throwing a fan grip, I was rubbing raw the knuckle of my middle finger every time, so I kind of just stopped throwing putters and would only flick them.

That said--and the reason for this post-- is that I tried out a friction glove about a month ago and that opened up a whole new world of grip for me. I got it to try in the cold and wet weather, but honestly, the grip I get and the slight abrasion protection on the knuckle--without having to put on a bandaid that just falls off (or tape which throws off the finger flex)-- has transformed my game. Now I actually really like throwing putters.
I know you're looking for technique, but if you get a chance to try friction gloves (or there are knockoffs as well), you might find that your "weak" fan grip is actually spot on with those.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:17 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 356 Times in 244 Posts

Probably need to push down with your thumb more
Old 01-17-2020, 08:32 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 114 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1discChallenge View Post
If I try a more firm grip, my fingers get caught on the inside of the rim.
Have you tried a three-finger power grip? That might work if it's your pinky getting caught.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:06 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 62
Niced 284 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bogey View Post
Have you tried a three-finger power grip? That might work if it's your pinky getting caught.
That was going to be my suggestion as well.

I use a three finger power grip with the disc ripping off of my index pad...the middle and ring finger lay down at a more shallow angle, and the pinky is tucked into my palm.

I'm only about a 225' putter thrower, but I can usually hit pretty accurately now at that distance whereas before I was all over the place with my putters.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 106
Niced 235 Times in 112 Posts

I've never heard the "three finger power grip" before today, but that's what I do with index, middle and thumb gripping the putter. I always called it a pinch grip. My pinky and ring fingers are tucked into palm. I also do this grip with a Roc, but not with shallower mids like a buzzz where I can use a full power grip. Good luck OP (hey, Ann Arbor, that's my hometown!)
Old 01-17-2020, 11:06 AM

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 20
Niced 13 Times in 8 Posts

Try the birdie (looks like you are flippin' the bird) grip Sepo demonstrates. Not the "putting" grip at the very beginning but the throwing grip he demonstrates starting around 1:10.

I currently use this on all my putter and midrange (even some fairway) shots. Currently throwing Wizards but I've used Ions, P2s, and other not-shallow putters. It really helps situate my hand for a clean release on deeper discs as well as increasing angle control.

Sounds like it would also be a good middle ground for you between fan and power grip.

Last edited by mjdepue; 01-17-2020 at 11:09 AM.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 14
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I'll try some stuff out in the field once the weather warms up a little bit. Trying some of these grips out on deeper putters I have already feel a lot better, so I'm hopeful

Niced: (1)