Old 09-22-2016, 08:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,663 Times in 2,451 Posts
Default 2017 Amateur Championships at Bowling Green

PDGA site says the date has been set for April 21-23...

...hopefully I get to go this time.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2016, 08:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 1369
Niced 804 Times in 282 Posts

Mandabear and I will be there!
Old 09-22-2016, 11:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,889 Times in 816 Posts

Given the new point qualification thresholds for Worlds, and the seemingly, likely mid season change again next year, this should be an even more popular tournament. Sadly this could mean a mad interwebz scramble to get in?
Old 09-22-2016, 11:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,663 Times in 2,451 Posts

When they added the extra rec pool last year, the three main divisions still had open slots when the registration ended. Didn't have all the rec players stuck in INT and INT guys stuck in advanced.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:04 AM

Courses Played: 38
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Such a awesome event. Last year was my 1st year. Looking to go again this year and expand it to a 2 week vacation. Do the Ams and then head out to the GBO!
Old 09-28-2016, 10:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 75
Niced 33 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
When they added the extra rec pool last year, the three main divisions still had open slots when the registration ended. Didn't have all the rec players stuck in INT and INT guys stuck in advanced.
yeah last year the registration was no where near as competitive as I thought it might be. Still plenty of open spots in March even. As long as you register in January I'd say you'd be good. That's if HB keeps the same format with 10 pools.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 6
Niced 13 Times in 10 Posts

Any advice for a 925 rated ohioan considering signing up and making the trip?
Old 09-28-2016, 01:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 133
Niced 58 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdschrock1 View Post
Overall, it's definitely worth the trip.

Normally I would say play the division commensurate with your rating, but once you see the courses for intermediate vs. those for advanced you may decide to play up. In any event, the player's pack is worth more than your entry so you will definitely get your money's worth even if you reduce your chances of cashing by playing up. Personally, I really like the courses they usually play in advanced (BG Tech, Kereaikes) so there's that.

Accommodations should be made relatively early to get exactly what you want. Lots of people camp and it sounds like a blast, but I'll let someone else comment on best options there as I'm old and prefer the comfort of a hotel. There are tons of convenient hotel options, with most of the popular ones off exit 22 (Scottsville Rd.). That said, I found over time that the traffic around there can get really annoying so I prefer to stay off exit 28. It may not be as "happening" up there, but if you hate traffic as much as I do it's a better option.

If you can, go with someone. There's the obvious financial advantages, and because so many of the courses are close to each other if you happen to be in a different pool from your companion(s) the logistics are not a problem (and there's always someone who will give you a ride if need be).

The flymart is awesome so if you like to buy plastic or other stuff save up some cash.

If you can swing it, I'd definitely go a day or two early. Of course you can practice the courses you will be playing, and there are also many events leading up to the tournament that are lots of fun.

Overall, the tournament is extremely well-run, the courses are decent to very good, and you meet tons of great people. Very highly recommended.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 523
Niced 758 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
I made the trip last year all the way from California and I thought it was worth it. I wanted to go for years, when I lived in Iowa and Minnesota, but I never found the time. When you live north, going to Bowling Green in the spring often means warmer weather (unless it is rainy and windy).

Anyone, anywhere that has been thinking about going to this event needs to go. It is an incredible tournament that hosts 300 more players than Am and Junior Worlds. Even though there are over 800 players, it runs like clockwork! The experience was well worth it even without the over-the-top player's package! Since they use 10 different courses for the event it is very easy to add 10 new courses to your "played" list.

If anyone is deciding between Bowling Green or Glass Blown Open....Bowling Green wins hands down with a better location, better variety of courses, more lodging options and a better flymart. While the block party in Emporia is amazing, the Bowling Green flymart is held during the event, not after it is over.

Niced: (1)

Old 10-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 68 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Do it! Make it happen! Last year was my first time out and I had a blast. If at all possible, I'll be back this year. My best tip would be to plan it out as best you can. Talk some other locals to make the trip with you so that lodging is affordable. Make sure to snag a room as early as you can. The website provides the "official" hotel of the event and many of the area's businesses give discounts to disc golfers. Get an extra day or two off work so you can practice and/or participate in some of the events leading up to the tournament. Budget your money so that you can be comfortable in BG. It's not an expensive town to visit, but a few days of lodging and meals (and beer) adds up pretty quick. You'll also want some spending money for Fly Mart & mini-games.

If you're not sure what division to enter, I suppose you have a couple options. Keep in mind that winners of this event tend to play well above their ratings. Stick to INT if you want a shot at some serious prize money. Move up to ADV if you want the extra challenge. The real decision might stem from what courses are played. I enjoyed all of the ones I experienced last year in INT: Tech, Phil Moore, Hobson, and Preston Miller all were enjoyable and provided a full range of layout designs. The division you play in won't matter much. Your player's pack will be worth twice the entry fee!

Niced: (1)