Old 04-19-2017, 12:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 26 Times in 20 Posts
Default What exactly do you focus on when throwing?

Basically, where is your focus in your throwing motion? I've been having a lot of trouble with my timing and overall form, and I am rethinking things. Everyone talks about getting power from your feet through your hips and shoulders, but what do you consciously think of to make it happen? Surely you don't think of your hips while throwing?

I feel like I'm missing something. I try to just reach back and have a straight pull, but I'm inconsistent and always doubting myself. So now I'm wondering what you skilled discers out there focus on for clean, successful drives.

I'll eventually get a form crit video up here. I just wanted to talk some disc golf theory and see what's going on.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2017, 12:45 AM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 515 Times in 205 Posts

I think this one that is going to vary 100% dependent on where your form is at. I've at times focused on:
1. Not letting my back heel touch the ground.
2. Staying loose
3. Not dropping my chin
4. Keeping my hand on the outside
5. Squaring my shoulders up in the back swing
6. Keeping the nose down
7. Keeping my off arm from flailing around
8. None of the above
9. All of the above including 8 (which was tricky)

Niced: (2)
Old 04-19-2017, 01:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Thanks! I know I have a lot of work to do and I'll see about taking some videos. It's a lot to bring together in just a second of action. I throw my putters a lot to work on my form, but I've always had trouble ripping big, consistent drives.

Looks like #8 is where I'm at!

Old 04-19-2017, 01:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,042 Times in 1,854 Posts

^^ Yeah, I've focused on probably everything at one point or another, and if things are all working then focused on nothing(except sending the disc to its apex).

If I catch myself swinging early, I focus on slowing down and crushing the can. Sometimes I focus on my thumb or swing arc, other times it might be my balance or posture or rhythm.

As a swing theory - Snap 2009 - throwing the disc more like a hammer or stick would be the primary focus.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-19-2017, 01:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 76
Niced 179 Times in 111 Posts

During a tourney whenever my drives are off I focus on slowing down my run up. It might just be me but I always seems to be more accurate & consistent when my run up is slow/smooth. I spend quite a bit of time each week (4-8 hours a week) on field work so I trust my form. I just need to find my rhythm in competition. Nine times out of ten that means running up slower on drives. Same thing with putting. If my putting stroke is off, I usually have to remind myself "slow to fast".
Old 04-19-2017, 01:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

I appreciate it! I have been trying to slow down my run up in order to bring things together. Sidewinder, I haven't heard the hammer analogy before. I'm trying to imagine how to rip a hammer . Do you curl your wrist?

Sounds like field work is the prescription for my woes. Can't wait to get back out there and throw! Hi, DiscinFiend. How have you been?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate View Post
I appreciate it! I have been trying to slow down my run up in order to bring things together. Sidewinder, I haven't heard the hammer analogy before. I'm trying to imagine how to rip a hammer . Do you curl your wrist?

Sounds like field work is the prescription for my woes. Can't wait to get back out there and throw! Hi, DiscinFiend. How have you been?
There's a video in the advice section. You treat the far edge of the disc like it's the head of the hammer.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,198 Times in 606 Posts

I agree with what HyzerUniBomber said.

Currently, my main focus(es) are timing my preswing correctly, reaching back lower, and staying off my heel on the push leg. The lower reachback is becoming more natural but I still have to remind myself sometimes. The other two I think about prior to the actual throw.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:10 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 80
Niced 267 Times in 102 Posts

When you have lots of mechanical thoughts in your mind as you try and perform an athletic movement, your timing is going to get worse. So i try to make sure i compartmentalize the way i think about technique between technique specific practice and course time.

When doing field work i focus on ONE mechanical thing i am trying to improve and spend as many field sessions as I think I need trying to improve that aspect of my throw. If i try to focus on multiple things I inevitably do all of them worse.

I try to not entertain any mechanical thoughts about my throw when actually on the course trying to score well. I try to trust that the work I have put in on form will become ingrained in my movements and focus only on the shape of the shot i'm trying to throw. Once i pick out my line on the course, my only thought is moving my body smoothly on that line through my follow- through.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 356 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
I think this one that is going to vary 100% dependent on where your form is at. I've at times focused on:
1. Not letting my back heel touch the ground.
2. Staying loose
3. Not dropping my chin
4. Keeping my hand on the outside
5. Squaring my shoulders up in the back swing
6. Keeping the nose down
7. Keeping my off arm from flailing around
8. None of the above
9. All of the above including 8 (which was tricky)
Nasty Nate, I can very much relate and ^this^ is the answer: there's a lot to think about and it's totally dependent on where your form is at. I try to focus on 2-3 things at most and hope the others align. For me, it's about finding those two that help you the most where you're at..(hopefully some of the others are ingrained). For example, I first found my biggest gains when I focused on staying balanced and upright while keeping hand on outside of disc while throwing. Now, I'm focusing on keeping left hand at my pocket/swim move and crushing the can which is helping me get my legs into it. Hopefully those will become ingrained and then I can work on other stuff.