Old 09-04-2020, 03:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 222 Times in 112 Posts

Something like the NCAA coaches or AP polls?

I'm not sure how that scales to Disc Golf without becoming a popularity contest.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2020, 09:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 574 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle pennybags View Post
Something like the NCAA coaches or AP polls?

I'm not sure how that scales to Disc Golf without becoming a popularity contest.
And those sports have spent a lot of time and effort to develop a more objective ranking system.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 155
Niced 723 Times in 318 Posts

Overall: Surprise surprise, higher rated players do not necessarily produce higher rated rounds.
MPO: Nice and stable starting at 13 competitors.
FPO: A bit of drift through the day. More data points are always better.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:07 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 399 Times in 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
nice. Reading your descriptions of the process and seeing it in action, it seems like a pretty well designed system.

I've seen comments about the ratings being skewed in different ways (up or down), but I like what I saw someone else say--something like 'I'm 950 rated and guys that are 1000 rated usually beat me'. To me, that means the arrow is pointed in the right direction--higher rated players have better outcomes in general over the course of a tournament and subsequently a season.

Since Paul apparently feels we need a true "ranking" system--any idea what he or anyone else is proposing as an alternative? Without detailed alternatives, I don't know what they are suggesting or how it would be "better".
You could go with a system similar to the world golf rankings. That would at least get rid of any arguments about whether scores were properly rated, since it's based solely off of tournament finishing position.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-06-2020, 10:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,936 Times in 2,284 Posts

We have a World Champion (though most competitors are from the U.S.) and a U.S. Champion (though some competitors are from outside the U.S., and a Pro Tour Champion and a National Tour Points winner. We have a highest-rated player and a highest-ranked player (based on ratings). We have an overall points champion and a top-earnings winner.

I'm not sure we need more ways to decide who's the best. Or how much recognition a new system---even a better system---will get, with the existing clutter.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-06-2020, 11:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 20
Niced 1,856 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
They have a financial vested interest in their opinions. They don't really stand for the good of the entire game
What does that even mean..."they (pros) don't really stand for the good of the game" ?
Old 09-06-2020, 11:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
nice. Reading your descriptions of the process and seeing it in action, it seems like a pretty well designed system.
maybe...maybe not... Two divisions play the same course, shoot the same scores, as long as the divisions are rated separately, the division with the avg higher rated players get the higher rated rounds.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:40 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.7
Courses Played: 433
Niced 2,362 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
maybe...maybe not... Two divisions play the same course, shoot the same scores, as long as the divisions are rated separately, the division with the avg higher rated players get the higher rated rounds.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

If the higher rated bunch got the same scores, it means conditions were tougher for them. They had to play better to get those scores, so they should get higher round ratings.

Right?

Niced: (2)
Old 09-06-2020, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing.

If the higher rated bunch got the same scores, it means conditions were tougher for them. They had to play better to get those scores, so they should get higher round ratings.

Right?
If conditions were tougher for one division, of course. But that's the flaw imop, if all things being equal, the division with the higher avg rated players will have higher ratings. But I don't want to thread drift too much, this was already discussed and proved in another thread.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=137064

Old 09-06-2020, 03:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,936 Times in 2,284 Posts

The big flaw isn't in the ratings system---it's in the application of it.

As a system to group amateur players into divisions of similar skill levels, it works fine. But that takes into account that while it's not an exact measure of any given round, when multiple rounds are averaged together the variances average out.

When it's applied to anoint a particular excellent round as one of the best, it's doing so without the benefit of that multiple-round averaging. When it's used to rank the top players, it's a bit better, but that still puts too much weight in differences of a few points.

Niced: (2)