Old 09-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The smoke is infinitely better here in the tahoe basin. Smoke-free days are here! Kirkwood, Turtle Rock, Bijou, and Zephyr are all must plays. Tahoe vista would be next for me.

Incline and Tahoe Regional have kinda screwy layouts and are just meh overall imo. They're more for if you have some extra time to bag a course.

I've heard sierra college is better than those two but haven't played it. And haven't played squaw since it's so expensive, and you can play kirkwood for free.

So you could do kirkwood, turtle rock, and bijou one day. And zephyr, tahoe vista, and sierra college the next. Or vice versa.

There is a really nice campground at the Turtle Rock course. There is one in south lake tahoe right across from the lake. Always see RVs and campers there, but I would assume they have tent sites.

And there is also camping in the Zephyr Cove area.

Oh and bijou is technically "no dogs" but no one would ever know that since there is a dog park and all the locals have their dogs playing with them during casual, doubles, and bag tag rounds. So you'll be good everywhere. Tahoe is one of the most dog friendly areas I've ever been around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlee View Post
Are these all fairly easy to navigate? I just played seatac in Seattle and wanted to shoot myself..
Most are pretty easy. First time I played Zephyr I had a hard time, since no map. (Although recently this happened http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=90789)

For the others I just suggest printing the maps from the course pages on this site to be safe and not waste time looking for tees/pins. Especially if you're playing alone.

Or if you're like me and have a decent smartphone but no printer, just save all the pdfs/jpgs/etc to your phone to pull up on the course.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 146
Niced 421 Times in 184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlee View Post
I live in Grass Valley and play condon park, penn valley and channa(ard) regularly. I really want to head up the hill and play some of these courses! Are these all fairly easy to navigate? I just played seatac in Seattle and wanted to shoot myself..
Loved the "valley" courses. Browns Valley (Harmon 9 holer and Splat Hill), Grass Valley, and Penn Valley. Never had a chance to get up into Tahoe during the summer.

SeaTac is a freaking disaster as far as navigation goes. Even with a map I had a damn hard time finding my way around the first time there. After that it was all good.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:15 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 831
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

I think I'm going to be able to do Tahoe this weekend, driving up Friday night, playing all day Saturday and a little more Sunday and driving home Sunday afternoon. I have a few quick questions, people said that all the courses around Tahoe are dog friendly, does that include Squaw Valley (I assume we'd have to hike up if we bring the dog). Also, the course page for Squaw Valley only has hours through September 6 for the course, will it still be open this weekend?

My tentative plan is to play Squaw, the two North Tahoe courses and Zephyr on Saturday, then Bijou, Turtle Rock and Kirkwood on Sunday.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:56 PM
*Super Moderator*

One more question, I'd like to camp both nights in a spot on the south side of the lake, any recommendations on cheap primitive camping near Bijou? It doesn't have to be fancy, and we prefer places that aren't popular with the RV crowd that run their generators all night. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 227
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

How much travel time are you willing to do in exchange for the RV's and primitive camping. There is seperate section for tent campers at Bijou.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Great campground at Zephyr Cove and the beach is one of the few that is dog friendly in Tahoe.
Dogs @ Squaw might be a problem if you ride the tram up. You should call and check.
Dude that Saturday lineup is going to be rough - that's a LOT of tough DG. We recently played Bijou, Zephyr, and Incline in one day. Another we played Sierra College, Truckee, and Zephyr. Needless to say we were beat up. Good luck man hope you hit an ace this weekend while up in the amazing Tahoe area.
By the way~post here next week on how it went. I hope you'll agree that Turtle Rock is flat-out the most secluded, beautiful, BAD A$$ course you've played yet. Have fun Bro!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:36 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMONEY View Post
How much travel time are you willing to do in exchange for the RV's and primitive camping. There is seperate section for tent campers at Bijou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain_ape7 View Post
Great campground at Zephyr Cove and the beach is one of the few that is dog friendly in Tahoe.
Dogs @ Squaw might be a problem if you ride the tram up. You should call and check.
Dude that Saturday lineup is going to be rough - that's a LOT of tough DG. We recently played Bijou, Zephyr, and Incline in one day. Another we played Sierra College, Truckee, and Zephyr. Needless to say we were beat up. Good luck man hope you hit an ace this weekend while up in the amazing Tahoe area.
By the way~post here next week on how it went. I hope you'll agree that Turtle Rock is flat-out the most secluded, beautiful, BAD A$$ course you've played yet. Have fun Bro!
Thanks, I'll look at both of those, it doesn't have to be away from everything we just prefer not to listen to somebody's music all night when we're camping.

I wasn't planning on taking the tram, we figured we'd do the hike and save the cash, do you know if they allow dogs on the property in general? I'll definitely post after the trip, I'm excited to get back to some mountain golf.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know for sure about Squaw but if you guys are making that hike up you should be OK. For the most part, everyone in Tahoe loves dogs. We're mountain people! Tear it up man. We couldn't make it last weekend, but our club just ran a tag round up there. Everyone I talked to said it was an amazing, very tough course.

There is a B-Tier at Zephyr this weekend on Sat & Sun. NV State Championships. 3 rounds - there is still room but you've got busy schedule!!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 1020
Niced 51 Times in 22 Posts

The hike on Squaw will take 2.5-3 hours. All uphill and really long, but a few cool waterfalls along the way. I've played 5-6 courses in Tahoe in one day. Just manage your time wisely. Bijou and zephyr are easy to follow and a pretty quick play and close together kinda. I would play those early and then squaw and then the two north Tahoe courses. Turtle rock is best played on your way home since its going that way.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 1020
Niced 51 Times in 22 Posts

How long will it take to play the Lemon lake courses solo? Noticed u played them and I'm thinking of playing them on a Thursday in October.