Old 03-02-2014, 04:35 PM

Courses Played: 11
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Russ has been busy adding more positions to the course. I will get out and map those soon.
I also mapped Bijou and North Tahoe DGC. All of the maps will be out in a month or two. Same look as the Zephyr map, unless someone gives me input.

Here is a 3d point cloud view of hole 15, looking up from the basket.
On my laptop, I can fly around the course, through the canopy like a bird.

and here is hole 10 from across the ridge.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by pineappaloupe; 03-02-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:22 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I have been busy today. Finished first draft for the final 2 courses I have data for.
Maps can be found here:
https://sites.google.com/site/zephyrcovedgc/maps

Bijou

Tahoe Vista: I like the way to contour lines came out, and like the dark red for the lines. label density is high in some places.... not much I can do about that unless I leave some out
Old 03-12-2014, 04:57 PM

Courses Played: 81
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

These are absolutely amazing. Can you describe how I could do this, possibly with an android phone? If I just got pointed in the right direction, that would be enough, I don't want to take too much of your time.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:33 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

You can collect points using a phone and an app called GPS Averaging. You still have to write down the coordinates manually. I don't know of any way to collect points on a phone in a way that would create a shapefile/kml. There might be a way. The point averaging is the important part. Even with averaging points will be off by 7-20 feet, even when the app says it is much less.
I imagine one of those modern hand held GPS units could average and collect points that you could export as a text file, which could then get you to a kml easily. Which could then go into google maps.
tl;dr: To collect points, yes you can use a phone, but it is not the best tool. The imagery is a whole different set of problems.

I updated the base imagery again, using a transparent intensity image. It added more texture to trees and shows roads, paths, etc, so that I don't have to digitize them
Old 03-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are any of the new positions/holes playable yet? Wasn't Russ adding some extra holes after 6 or 7? Any update on those?

This CRAPTASTIC snow season in Tahoe is getting me ready for some serious DG this summer. Still gotta recover a bit more from a shoulder injury in Groove Park, then it'll be ON!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:33 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Russ has been busy this month. New basket positions already added to 2 (right) and 5 (left). Tees on 6 and 7 are going to be moved up hill. He is doing something with 8 that I didn't quite understand, maybe moving the basket back to take away the right hyzer line. And as far as I know 3 more holes will be added before 9.
I am going to be bugging the south tahoe DGA for money to get some 'next tee -->' signs for zephyr.
And www.southtahoeDGA.com is live. We are adding content and will have the maps hosted there.
I got in a few good days this year on the mountain, but I am completely over it now. I've been buying new discs, so that is where my mind is.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:57 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 48
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks man! Appreciate the update.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 101
Niced 40 Times in 30 Posts

These maps are amazingly accurate. My only comments are :

- Show the actual paths from tee to basket rather than straight lines. Like you did for Tahoe vista.
- increase the visibility of the contour lines. They are getting lost behind all the foliage graphics.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:20 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I was showing someone the map earlier today and noticed that the contour lines are not pronounced enough. Now that the vegetation has 2 black and white transparencies over it, it has taken on a darker shade. It looks better than when it was bright green, but now it hides the lines too much. I might go to a 10ft interval, like I did with Zephyr, and make them more of a light gray , maybe even go with brown/tan. What I learned from this is that contour lines are hard, I didn't even try to label them. Cartography is an art and a science.
I found a new add in for ArcMap that allows for bezier curved lines and figured out how to force them to be straight and branch out at good points. The curved lines on the tahoe vista map were me trying to do this without the add in, and I didn't like it at all so I stopped. All maps have been updated and they look so much better. All distances are still based on line of sight.

I just talked to the guy who runs the South Tahoe DGA and he fully supports the 'Next Tee' signs. I found some for $8.50 each when you order a lot of them, left or right arrows.
http://www.compliancesigns.com/PKE-17166.shtml
I will have an order in for 40 of them on Monday. This will be such a massive and simple improvement to Zephyr, making it more friendly for the people who visit.

Here is Tahoe Vista with the updated hole lines. I have one person looking over the map to make sure the lines make sense, and welcome more.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:35 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Cleaned up the maps, got them all up on the website.

Tahoe Vista was changed for 10ft contours and the colors were adjusted. It is hard to find the sweet spot with too visible and cluttered and visible with contours. The change to 10ft helps.

The South Tahoe DGA site is in its infancy. More content will be added. Input is welcome (adding content even more so).

http://southtahoedga.com/maps
Go there, click the links for the high res pdfs.