Old 03-11-2015, 10:19 PM

Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default CA roadtrip...

Hello all,
Been Playing DG now for a few years, use this site often for reference, but never posted till....wait for it....now.

I'm currently putting together an itinerary for a DG road trip from southern CA to Northern CA. I'm located in Orange County and am looking to travel to the San Fran, Petaluma, Sacramento, Grass Valley,maybe even run over to Tahoe areas. looking for some course recommendations, by some locals, for those areas and anywhere in between, as I will be driving. I already have golden gate, Stafford, Taylor mtn., Skyline, Sunrise, Rocklin in mind as courses to play. Truckee area is still pending.

I will most likely travel the coast (because why not, it's California) and stop at courses along the way, then head south via inland.
Are there any discers in CA willing to meet up and tour some courses? also some breweries...

I will be doing a mixture of camping and hotel/house staying, so suggestions as to those points would be appreciated as well.

Oh, this will be about a week - 2 weeks trip, so no real need to rush through courses or other points of interest.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2015, 10:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 27.6
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

Coyote Point at Lake Casitas, between Ventura and Ojai. Great course and camping on site.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:33 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would definitely recommend going to Tahoe area as it has some truly awesome courses. South Tahoe area specifically has a great group of courses not too far from each other.

Turtle Rock - 6th/118 best rated course in Cali with 10+ reviews
I love this course. Absolutely amazing. about 40 min south of south lake tahoe. Also the best rated course in cali that isn't pay-to-play and/or private. They take amazing care of it. Also there is a campground on site that you could camp at.

Bijou - 11th/118 best rated course in Cali with 10+ reviews
This is my local course in South Lake Tahoe. 27 holes. pins change all the time. Lots of people to always play with. Dubs on sunday.

Zephyr Cove - #1 rated course in Nevada with 10+ reviews
Super elevation change course. Rarely busy. 15 min from South Lake Tahoe. Awesome views of Lake Tahoe at certain holes.

Kirkwood - 15th/118 best rated course in Cali with 10+ reviews.
This course is one of my favs but depending on when you go it could be closed. It's on a ski mountain so they put the baskets in after enough snow has melted. Just shoot em a call before you try to go.
One 1200 foot par 5 downhill from the top of a ski run. Awesome rip hole.

Those are the best/my favorite in the area. Also, If you go up the north lake there are 4 courses you hit up quickly in Incline Village, Tahoe Vista and Truckee. But the South Shore courses are definitely the ones to hit first.

Also all these courses are free to play and public.

South Lake Tahoe also has 3 breweries and there are 3 others around the lake. Shoot me a PM if you want anymore details or have any questions about anything.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:42 PM

Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Sansho for that information. it will definitely be put to use.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 34
Niced 345 Times in 217 Posts

Through the Central Coast area there's a really nice 27 hole in Santa Maria called Waller Pines. And by Los Osos you can play a ball golf course with golf cart rentals and all called Sea Pines. Golden gate park is fun, but busy course. Lake casitas is ok too, really dry (even though it's on a lake) really nice if you wanted to camp.

Central coast area may be a nice stopping point in the 5 cities area (half way between Orange County and Frisco)

Have fun!