Old 03-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.7
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 392 Times in 172 Posts
Default Online retailers who sell by "range"

In this ever competitive landscape for online disc sales, why do companies still sell in ranges? Example - Gotta Go Gotta Throw has you choose between a weight range, preference and then write in color options. DGU does the same and so do a few other retailers.

Each time I place an order I will typically get a phone call or email saying they don't have the preferences I am looking for. I end up backing out of the sale and this has now made me less inclined to do business with said retailer. I am now at the point where paying the up-charge from smaller retailers or waiting on free shipping from DGC is worth it to know exactly what I am getting.

What are your thoughts on selling discs this way? Do you think they need to shift towards listing each disc out?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2016, 09:37 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,110 Times in 745 Posts

Its not THAT big of a deal.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:39 AM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 28.8
Courses Played: 58
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

Yeah no doubt, I order from DGC a bunch if I don't make it down to GGGT area for a while. I live in the sticks by BRP though so it's a drive. Sometimes I buy from BRP too, but they up charge a couple bucks plus tax, so really a few bucks more per disc.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 29
Niced 208 Times in 131 Posts

The only thing I have ever ordered from GGGT was a Decodye, so I knew what I was getting. Otherwise, I pretty much stick with DGC, Infinite, or Community. Their prices are equal or better and I know exactly what I'm getting. If GGGT had way better prices, or something else to incent me to buy from them, I would shop there, but there's nothing they're offering I can't get elsewhere with better options.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:57 AM
FROLF OFF!

GGGT Rewards program is legit. Most people dont care that much about exact color/wt. I fill preorders like this all the time and dont get complaints. DGCR users are the most picky really lol.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 270
Niced 84 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinosaurThunder View Post
In this ever competitive landscape for online disc sales, why do companies still sell in ranges? Example - Gotta Go Gotta Throw has you choose between a weight range, preference and then write in color options. DGU does the same and so do a few other retailers.

Each time I place an order I will typically get a phone call or email saying they don't have the preferences I am looking for. I end up backing out of the sale and this has now made me less inclined to do business with said retailer. I am now at the point where paying the up-charge from smaller retailers or waiting on free shipping from DGC is worth it to know exactly what I am getting.

What are your thoughts on selling discs this way? Do you think they need to shift towards listing each disc out?
It does not bother me but I think it could cause confusion when an inventory audit is conducted or worse an IRS audit unless they just count each disc by mold and plastic and record the information in quickbooks and scan the packing slips. I have been to GGGT which is the largest dg store I have ever been in. The back room had more misprint discs than many retailers that claim to be dg stores. Some of these retailers may not have a sufficient inventory software which would probably make the process less frustrating for consumers and increase efficiency for the staff. When I was at GGGT three years ago, two guys were going back and forth from the computer to inventory looking for specific discs and weights for online orders which did not seem efficient but it seemed to work for them.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:03 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 97
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

They also have a cartload of "not for sale" discs. Those are ones that have been set aside for online retail. It pisses me off, as that is often where the max weights end up.

I remember trying to buy a Z Zone that was on the cart, they told me I could purchase it online. Really. That was always a head scratcher to me.

Last edited by THUGNIFICENT763; 03-28-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:11 AM
FROLF OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUGNIFICENT763 View Post
They also have a cartload of "not for sale" discs. Those are ones that have been set aside for online retail. It pisses me off, as that is often where the max weights end up.

I remember trying to buy a Z Zone that was on the cart, they told me I could purchase it online. Really. That was always a head scratcher to me.
Those are not even added to the store yet generally...? Its new stock stuff. They will remove ebay listings if being sold online and hand you the disc at the store to purchase in store.. Ive had them check a few times to find a single ebay disc and theyve turned around and sold it to me no problem.

You find the "cool" stuff often on their ebay listings which are exact discs being sold..
Old 03-28-2016, 10:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Its not THAT big of a deal to order from somebody else.

fixed

Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 97
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Those are not even added to the store yet generally...? Its new stock stuff. They will remove ebay listings if being sold online and hand you the disc at the store to purchase in store.. Ive had them check a few times to find a single ebay disc and theyve turned around and sold it to me no problem.

You find the "cool" stuff often on their ebay listings which are exact discs being sold..
Maybe they just like you better than me? It is entirely possible, I talk a lot, and presumably, annoy the employees haha.

I go to GGGT because I like knowing exactly what I am getting. This is also the reason why I will not order discs online unless it is the only means of acquiring a certain disc. So, the prospect of anything inside of the store's walls being "not for sale" seems counter-intuitive to me, to say the least.