Old 01-06-2019, 12:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 737 Times in 576 Posts
Default Roc3 vs VRoc

I ended up putting a star VRoc in the bag for a couple rounds yesterday alongside my champion Roc3. I guess I wanted to see what the difference between the two discs was.

The VRoc definitely appears slightly different. The rim bulges out more and almost seems sharper than the Roc3. The VRoc also feels a little clunkier in your hand.

Flight-wise they were pretty similar. The VRoc had a touch less fade. Very straight flier. If you started the VRoc right of the target it would stay there. Not even a slight fade.

Once I figured out the VRoc I started putting it almost right on top of the Roc3. Both discs fly the same distance. Only difference was the Roc 3 would fade out a little more.

Overall I think I prefer the Roc3 more. It feels better in the hand and I feel like it handles power a little better. The 2 discs were similar enough that I'd never feel a need to bag both molds.

Anyone else have input on which mold you think is better, and why?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2019, 12:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 459 Times in 332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I ended up putting a star VRoc in the bag for a couple rounds yesterday alongside my champion Roc3. I guess I wanted to see what the difference between the two discs was.

The VRoc definitely appears slightly different. The rim bulges out more and almost seems sharper than the Roc3. The VRoc also feels a little clunkier in your hand.

Flight-wise they were pretty similar. The VRoc had a touch less fade. Very straight flier. If you started the VRoc right of the target it would stay there. Not even a slight fade.

Once I figured out the VRoc I started putting it almost right on top of the Roc3. Both discs fly the same distance. Only difference was the Roc 3 would fade out a little more.

Overall I think I prefer the Roc3 more. It feels better in the hand and I feel like it handles power a little better. The 2 discs were similar enough that I'd never feel a need to bag both molds.

Anyone else have input on which mold you think is better, and why?
My basis of my comparison is off of both Rocs and Roc3s as well as a VRoc3 and a Vroc.

The feel of the Vroc(3) just isn't right for me (I feel that the feel of the VRoc3 caused me to griplock my only OB drive of a tournament, leading to its removal from my bag) whereas I've almost always had a Roc or Roc3 since the very beginning of my disc golfing. The VRoc was flippy and the VRoc3 refused to turn or would turn and burn without warning. I personally bag Rocs over Roc3s because of KC Rocs (didn't like my McPro Roc3s), but I bag a Champ Roc3 for winter to save the KC and DX from winter abuse. I found the VRoc and VRoc3 to be similar to my VCobra, which is to say they were mostly straight, but unpredictable and awful feeling.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:29 AM
* Ace Member *

I didn't really like the hand feel of the VRoc either. I won't call it a bad disc. I actually threw it pretty well. I just don't feel it did anything the Roc3 wouldn't do.

BTW, my VRoc wasn't a 3, but it still has a very flat top. The reason I bagged the champion Roc3 in the first place was because it doesn't turn over. I throw that thing hard and it remains straight.

The VRoc seemed to be more prone to turning. Not a lot, but enough to question throwing it hard.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:30 AM
Par Member

Niced 119 Times in 79 Posts

The v roc has the v mold, meaning the rim is slanted. Some prefer the feel of one or the other.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:55 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,267 Times in 1,666 Posts

When the VRoc first came out, my nearby PIAS made the mistake of ordering a ton of them and they didn't sell after an initial burst, so it was months before they finally discounted them and I bought one. My VRoc was (and is) a FR Champion with the protostar stamp.

I only have Glow DX Rocs, and they're okay, and I've always preferred the Roc3 to them, as the Roc3 grip feels much better in my paw. I have Champion and Star Roc3s, and while the Star Roc3s are a bit more board-flat, the Champs and Stars would fly about the same: very straight with a modest but reliable fade at the end.

My Champ VRoc flew very nicely when I tried it out, but it faded a bit more at the end and never went quite the distance of my Champ Roc3 that I tested it against. The VRoc had a better hand feel, being a convex V-Tech underside rim while the Roc3 was the concave underside rim, but the Roc3 performed a little bit better in the overall. I ended up with neither, as the Ti Buzzz beat 'em both out.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,468 Times in 1,874 Posts

The VRoc isn't even a Roc...it's just a cash grab on the Roc name. The Roc3 also may be that, but at the very least it shares a piece of the Rancho Roc mold.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-07-2019, 11:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 551 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethamphetamine View Post
The v roc has the v mold, meaning the rim is slanted. Some prefer the feel of one or the other.
You're thinking the Roc+

The VRoc, and VCobra and etc have the convex (puffy) lower wing with a bead - i.e. VTechtm

Niced: (1)
Old 01-08-2019, 01:23 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 90 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
The VRoc isn't even a Roc...it's just a cash grab on the Roc name. The Roc3 also may be that, but at the very least it shares a piece of the Rancho Roc mold.
vroc has 3 variations that use all 3 different roc tops
Old 01-08-2019, 01:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerth_vader View Post
vroc has 3 variations that use all 3 different roc tops
The Roc is definitely a confusing mold. I've only just recently started throwing them. I figure it would take me half a day to read up about all the Roc variants. I probably won't end up delving that deeply into it.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:30 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,267 Times in 1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
The Roc is definitely a confusing mold. I've only just recently started throwing them. I figure it would take me half a day to read up about all the Roc variants. I probably won't end up delving that deeply into it.
Yep, a ton of Roc variations and permutations, and that's before encountering the near-religious cult fervor of some Roc purists on these boards. I was lucky; the Roc3 came to my attention first, and it's an awesome mid, so I didn't need to get into the weeds of the various Rocs.