Dollar calling out the TD on FB, wonder what happened

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...content_filter
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2019, 11:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,329 Times in 952 Posts

About 30 seconds of "investigation" on FB yields the result that there were discraft employees as well as more than one sponsored player out getting that stuff done. Doesn't really sound like they just took it on themselves to do it with no guidance. Tourney staff definitely late getting the course set up though.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,926 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Kind of sounds like the TD wasn't doing his job...
This is assuming that whatever it is Paul did on the course was something that was supposed to be done. As others have said, it's not up to the players to "do the TD's job" primarily because they don't know what the TD's job even is. The players aren't privy to everything the TD wants/needs to be done nor how he wants it done. For all we know, maybe what was left "undone" was that way for a reason. Or wasn't supposed to be done at all.

Or maybe the TD set out a task for his staff then bugged out for the day trusting they could handle it without him, and then those involved found themselves short-handed and enlisted Paul to help because he happened to be there. Could be the TD is unaware that the task he delegated ended up in the hands of a player.

Bottom line is we have no idea the real story here.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:41 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 73 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Good on Paul to go out and take proactive steps to fix the situation. Not cool at all to blast the TD on social media.

Then again, I don't think we know enough information from this one article to make any sort of accurate assessment of what is going on. Maybe the TD was taking a break and was planning on finishing things up after a few brews? Maybe the TD quit? Who knows. I'd really like to hear from the TD...
Lol. It's perfectly reasonable for one of the events most visible competitors to put its TD on blast for failing to execute the most basic functions of his job.
Your standing up for dude is not cool at all. Competitors who travel deserve better than this.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.8
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,058 Times in 404 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynorwegian View Post
Lol. It's perfectly reasonable for one of the events most visible competitors to put its TD on blast for failing to execute the most basic functions of his job.
Your standing up for dude is not cool at all. Competitors who travel deserve better than this.
Competitors who travel should be volunteering more often, not expecting more from others, who volunteer their time, because they're "traveling pros".

Old 07-05-2019, 11:47 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 840 Times in 404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Near-future conspiracy theory: At least one of Hannah's or Paul's throws will end up a centimeter or two in-bounds on a line Paul painted.

Haha. I can see it now.

Paul's new What's In the Bag video:

Some McBigbreakerZ Lunas, a couple Jurassic Park Buzzz, the new Onyx/Anax (whatever!), a pile of Zuuls ... and a can of spray paint?!

"Not only do I own these new molds, I own the fairway."

Niced: (1)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,401 Times in 1,181 Posts

While I play in a league with the TD and one of the Assistant TD's, I really can't say what they were (or weren't doing) during the 4th of July.

What I can say is: the only OB I've ever seen on Toboggan is:
#17: The asphalt road on the right side of #17 = OB for all events. It's pretty obvious if the disc is completely surrounded by asphalt (i.e. OB), or partially in the grass (i.e. IB).

#18*: Left side of the fairway (i.e. on to the left of the wire running through the post down the Toboggan run, approaching #1's fairway - see pic).

There's no other OB to mark anywhere on the course. Strictly speaking, it's possible for someone to overthrow an approach shot that comes to rest on asphalt (#'s 2, 7, 9, 11, 18), but...
> The only one of these that's somewhat likely is a hot approach on #2 that that turns on edge and rolls OB.
> Again, very obvious if the disc is surrounded by asphalt, or not... nothing to mark.

During last year's DGLO, they ran 1 ft tall banner (or something to that effect) along the ground with stakes right under the wire, so it was 100% clear as to which side of the barrier the disc was on. The barrier was substantial enough to prevent discs that hit it on a skip to from going OB. But even without it, the posts/wire make it obvious enough FOR A PRACTICE ROUND, to determine if you went OB... or if your strategy for attacking that hole is has you consistently flirting with the OB.

I'd hope everything would've been taken care of prior to Thursday's scheduled practice rounds. on the other hand, I don't know whether the course was officially closed for casual play on the 4th... could be they didn't want anyone messing with the tee markers or #18's OB border. I can't say for certain because I wasn't out there.

That said, marking OB for one hole, and installing the tee signs would be something the staff could do pretty quickly before 1st card teed off this morning.

*Just for reference: #18 only has OB for this event... not for USADGC).

I plan to get out there after work today and watch the last few cards finish up... might spot if they still need people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toboggan 18.jpg (101.6 KB, 284 views)
Old 07-05-2019, 12:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Niced 3,926 Times in 1,619 Posts

Watching the FPO coverage so far, I'm already seeing that there have been some changes to the course, primarily new OBs and mandos. Just in what I've watched so far, there's a brand new mando on hole 6 that's never been there before and brand new OB on hole 7 (left side).

No idea when those changes were decided or who made those decisions, but those sorts of things strike me as ripe for poor communication and misunderstanding. Like if some area that's never been OB before is decided to be made OB at the last minute due to some unexpected reason, that could lead to some painting of lines the day before a tournament through no ill planning or laziness on the part of the TD.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 38
Niced 403 Times in 162 Posts

I don’t really have an issue with Paul taking his grievances to social media.

I recently had an issue with a company and handled things the “old-fashioned way” by writing an email. Their response was abysmal but improved once I put them on social media blast.

Now, I don’t see the TD as a company but the DGPT is. Maybe Paul picked the wrong target? The DGPT needs to adhere better to standards of operation across all its tournaments. Though I’ve surely buried the lede here: trying to get by on volunteer labor to run tournaments isn’t a winning formula going forward. Yes, tons of great TDS out there. Yet, it’s not a good model for creating and applying standards and holding anyone to expectations.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,582 Times in 906 Posts

Again they pick a struggeling FPO feature card

Niced: (1)