Old 07-07-2019, 10:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 405 Times in 163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I agree. I wasn't trying to badmouth PP earlier, just observing that she had a slow start, was peaking now, and maybe the reason was she took some time off in the off-season. IIRC, she and her family worked on her live-in van during the off-season.

Anyhoo, she looks to be back on track. And when she's on track, the rest of the FPO isn't even boarding at the station...
I had a part at the beginning of my post along the lines of “not implying that you are criticizing her.” Should have left it in there and saved you the second post.

She did that XMAS group trip to Croatia(?) I know.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-07-2019, 10:03 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,736 Times in 794 Posts

Hypothesis (untested): Paige's success is influenced by the type of course played in the event. Toboggan is relatively open with lots of elevation where power is rewarded. In addition, there's very little OB in comparison to several of the courses played earlier in the year.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:11 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,270 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentmatters View Post
Paige is getting hotter as of late but it’s sad to see Catrina self-destruct. I was at the final round of Beaver State Fling and watched the FPO lead card start. Cat was talkative and excited in the beginning but on the third hole (if my memory serves me) and missed a putt. There was a little girl there who was a little restless and Cat begrudgingly spoke out loud to no one in particular to not move when she is putting. It was a short putt she missed and blamed a little girl. She was sullen the rest of the 5 holes before I left to see the men finish up. I really thought she would have a hot year but her emotions keep getting in the way. Sad because she is very talented.
IIRC, Catrina missed a very short put at this tournament, as well. Not sure what happened, but it went am-side (left) and barely even touched the chains. It wasn't like she just thoughtlessly flicked it at the basket, either; she lined up and threw the putt. That had to hurt, and missing a putt like that can really haunt a person for a few holes...
Old 07-07-2019, 10:59 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,190 Times in 605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Hypothesis (untested): Paige's success is influenced by the type of course played in the event. Toboggan is relatively open with lots of elevation where power is rewarded. In addition, there's very little OB in comparison to several of the courses played earlier in the year.
Yea, but the DGPT has been shortening ("Paige proofing") the courses for FPO to take away her advantage, right?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,446 Times in 1,199 Posts

Sometimes I forget how big Kensington Metropark is.

Talking to some friends who played in the DGLO Am event (which took place at both Kensington Black Locust courses... 2 rounds Sat, 3rd round this morning). They had a downpour Sat afternoon.

The very same afternoon, Toboggan had some clouds and it was humid as hell, but I never felt a drop in the 7 hours I was out there. probably about 2 miles apart as a bird flies.

Today's weather was easily the best of the event.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-07-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:46 AM
Par Member

Niced 51 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
How old is JohnE McCray. 45? 47?
Say what you want about his grumpiness, but the guy can just play disc golf.
His Round 2 hot score was tied with the likes of PM, KJ, & ZM. This puts him in rare company with guys half his age. He had more birdies (12) than anyone, but one bogie. JohnE was only player in top 15 to bird #12. All very remarkable.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,598 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
Yea, but the DGPT has been shortening ("Paige proofing") the courses for FPO to take away her advantage, right?
In a way yes. . but in another way no

By shortening the tee they have in many cases made it so that Paige is the only one in the field that can reach the basket in one.
From the long tee no one in the FPO field can reach in one but most can in two

Old 07-08-2019, 10:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.7
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,806 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
In a way yes. . but in another way no

By shortening the tee they have in many cases made it so that Paige is the only one in the field that can reach the basket in one.
From the long tee no one in the FPO field can reach in one but most can in two
So, the scoring separation is likely better for the FPO from the long tees? What is the benefit, other than giving PP an advantage? Maybe round times?
Old 07-08-2019, 10:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.7
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,806 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynorwegian View Post
It is an even more amusing indictment of disc golf that you say what you are saying in this, and then daring a touring professional who is on the road for several months of the year to work your 50 hour a week job.
Huh.
No, I think I did not express myself well. I am not touting how hard my job is, simply trying to emphasize that they are playing the game we love, full time. I also don't want to be interpreted as stating that it is an easy job. There are lots of time consuming work and hours put in, outside of the game itself, for many of the top touring players.

I really just get a bit salty at the keyboard warrior happy drama. The innuendo, supposition and just plain wrong information are simply an accepted part of this.

In addition to the dismissal of the fact, that the foundation of their ability to tour and make any money, is built upon the backs of thousands of volunteers and probably tens of thousands of volunteer hours. Biting the hand that feeds them seems like a bad idea.

With the continuation of that kind of nonsense, we are going to just see big, wide open golf course, one course tournaments, more often. The logistics of putting on an event at this type venue is infinitely easier than the work to prepare a disc golf course.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,598 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
So, the scoring separation is likely better for the FPO from the long tees? What is the benefit, other than giving PP an advantage? Maybe round times?
I do think PP have an advantage what ever they do. . . on "shorter" holes she can disc down and on long ones she can outdrive the field.

On the shorter holes you often see PP throw mids and putters just as far as others can throw fairways. . . so it´s hard to punish PP for her distance. . but then, do we really want to?