Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 06-27-2015, 01:57 PM

Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Fairly new player looking for a new disc

Hey guys. Like the title says, I am a fairly new player, and I need a new disk. I have been doing research, but there are so many options for types of disc and types of plastic that I am overwhelmed with options, and I was looking for opinions from experienced players. Right now, I am thinking I should get the Boss, Destroyer, or Wraith. Are these good options? Which is best? (I don't have a ton of arm strength, I can only get like 200 feet right now. What other info do you need?) What type of plastic should I get it in?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 580 Times in 221 Posts

*Step away from the long wing drivers*

New players need just a few discs to start the addiction and rapidly improve their games.
The best advice I can give you is to pick up a Wizard and a Roc.
The Wizard is widely regarded as the best putter out there. The Roc, the best mid. These are subjective but there is no one out there that will tell you that either mold isn't a good building block.

Take these discs to the course and work on throwing them high, flat and hard. Once you can start pushing these discs out further and further you will notice that your ability to throw any other disc will enhance.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,190 Times in 605 Posts

Don't get a Boss, Destroyer, or Wraith.

Stick with understable fairway drivers, straight midranges, and a putter that feels great in your hand. Speed 7 discs and below is where you want to be.

What are your discs right now?
Old 06-27-2015, 02:04 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
*Step away from the long wing drivers*

New players need just a few discs to start the addiction and rapidly improve their games.
The best advice I can give you is to pick up a Wizard and a Roc.
The Wizard is widely regarded as the best putter out there. The Roc, the best mid. These are subjective but there is no one out there that will tell you that either mold isn't a good building block.

Take these discs to the course and work on throwing them high, flat and hard. Once you can start pushing these discs out further and further you will notice that your ability to throw any other disc will enhance.
Right now, my putter is a Rhyno and my mid is a Panther. Are those ok? I would like to get a Roc but they seem to be hard to find now.

Side note: I see a lot of Tern recommendations for farthest distance. Is this a disc that only people with a lot of power and distance could use well?
Old 06-27-2015, 02:05 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
Don't get a Boss, Destroyer, or Wraith.

Stick with understable fairway drivers, straight midranges, and a putter that feels great in your hand. Speed 7 discs and below is where you want to be.

What are your discs right now?
Putter: Rhyno
Mid: Panther, Gator (use Panther)
Driver: Beast, Valkyrie (Beast for straight throws, Valkytire for throws angled to the left)
Old 06-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,112 Times in 718 Posts

I would probably reckoned you getting a more neutral putter in a baseline plastic like a Pro D Challenger, SS Wizard, DX Aviar, Karbon Touch or the new DGA Steady. It will help your short range game a lot and won't subject you to the hard fade or a Rhyno.

Panther will probably get floppy for you in time, but is fine. Roc, Buzzz, and Truth are all good stable miss that are good in any plastic.

What plastic is your Valk? A Star Valkarie is a fine driver if you feel you need one, I'd also look at a Leopard, View or anothe fairly straight speed 8 or less disc.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:22 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
I would probably reckoned you getting a more neutral putter in a baseline plastic like a Pro D Challenger, SS Wizard, DX Aviar, Karbon Touch or the new DGA Steady. It will help your short range game a lot and won't subject you to the hard fade or a Rhyno.

Panther will probably get floppy for you in time, but is fine. Roc, Buzzz, and Truth are all good stable miss that are good in any plastic.

What plastic is your Valk? A Star Valkarie is a fine driver if you feel you need one, I'd also look at a Leopard, View or anothe fairly straight speed 8 or less disc.
I have been looking at getting a Leopard. My Valkyrie is Champion.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,475 Times in 1,878 Posts

@Captain - you will literally get 100 of different disc recommendations. Instead do yourself a favor and check this thread out.

How to Build a Bag

Garu goes through an excellent way to build a small beginners bag that will teach you a lot about throwing and golf lines.

Also, the Technique subforum should be your friend, not the Equipment.

O and at that arm speed stay away from MVP/Axiom.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,248 Times in 547 Posts

Unfortunately, the hard truth is that until your throwing form improves any of those wider rimmed drivers won't fly well for you. They will not go far and dump hard at the end and frustrate the crap out of you. It's entirely likely the Panther will go further.
We've all started in the same place and many of us rushed out and bought wide rimmed drivers and struggled with them, so our attempts to dissuade certain purchases are an attempt to save you much frustration. Ultimately it's up to you and what your goals are.
If I were you, I'd keep throwing that Panther. I'd mix in a more neutral putter like a beadless Aviar or a Magic and probably a DX or Pro Leopard as a driver.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:32 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
@Captain - you will literally get 100 of different disc recommendations. Instead do yourself a favor and check this thread out.

How to Build a Bag

Garu goes through an excellent way to build a small beginners bag that will teach you a lot about throwing and golf lines.

Also, the Technique subforum should be your friend, not the Equipment.

O and at that arm speed stay away from MVP/Axiom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
Unfortunately, the hard truth is that until your throwing form improves any of those wider rimmed drivers won't fly well for you. They will not go far and dump hard at the end and frustrate the crap out of you. It's entirely likely the Panther will go further.
We've all started in the same place and many of us rushed out and bought wide rimmed drivers and struggled with them, so our attempts to dissuade certain purchases are an attempt to save you much frustration. Ultimately it's up to you and what your goals are.
If I were you, I'd keep throwing that Panther. I'd mix in a more neutral putter like a beadless Aviar or a Magic and probably a DX or Pro Leopard as a driver.
Thanks guys. I will go check out that thread.

Any tips on how to throw a disc? Nobody ever taught me, so maybe I'm just doing it wrong, and that's why my distance is bad? Let me know, thanks!