Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-27-2015, 01:57 PM
captainamerica captainamerica is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Fairly new player looking for a new disc

Hey guys. Like the title says, I am a fairly new player, and I need a new disk. I have been doing research, but there are so many options for types of disc and types of plastic that I am overwhelmed with options, and I was looking for opinions from experienced players. Right now, I am thinking I should get the Boss, Destroyer, or Wraith. Are these good options? Which is best? (I don't have a ton of arm strength, I can only get like 200 feet right now. What other info do you need?) What type of plastic should I get it in?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-27-2015, 02:01 PM
jcassidy1990's Avatar
jcassidy1990 jcassidy1990 is offline
Reptilian Disc Golf
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,740
Niced 580 Times in 221 Posts
Default

*Step away from the long wing drivers*

New players need just a few discs to start the addiction and rapidly improve their games.
The best advice I can give you is to pick up a Wizard and a Roc.
The Wizard is widely regarded as the best putter out there. The Roc, the best mid. These are subjective but there is no one out there that will tell you that either mold isn't a good building block.

Take these discs to the course and work on throwing them high, flat and hard. Once you can start pushing these discs out further and further you will notice that your ability to throw any other disc will enhance.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Halcón's Avatar
Halcón Halcón is offline
Free at Last
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,006
Niced 1,190 Times in 605 Posts
Default

Don't get a Boss, Destroyer, or Wraith.

Stick with understable fairway drivers, straight midranges, and a putter that feels great in your hand. Speed 7 discs and below is where you want to be.

What are your discs right now?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-27-2015, 02:04 PM
captainamerica captainamerica is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
*Step away from the long wing drivers*

New players need just a few discs to start the addiction and rapidly improve their games.
The best advice I can give you is to pick up a Wizard and a Roc.
The Wizard is widely regarded as the best putter out there. The Roc, the best mid. These are subjective but there is no one out there that will tell you that either mold isn't a good building block.

Take these discs to the course and work on throwing them high, flat and hard. Once you can start pushing these discs out further and further you will notice that your ability to throw any other disc will enhance.
Right now, my putter is a Rhyno and my mid is a Panther. Are those ok? I would like to get a Roc but they seem to be hard to find now.

Side note: I see a lot of Tern recommendations for farthest distance. Is this a disc that only people with a lot of power and distance could use well?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-27-2015, 02:05 PM
captainamerica captainamerica is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
Don't get a Boss, Destroyer, or Wraith.

Stick with understable fairway drivers, straight midranges, and a putter that feels great in your hand. Speed 7 discs and below is where you want to be.

What are your discs right now?
Putter: Rhyno
Mid: Panther, Gator (use Panther)
Driver: Beast, Valkyrie (Beast for straight throws, Valkytire for throws angled to the left)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Moose33 Moose33 is offline
Salient/Yikun Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 5,309
Niced 1,112 Times in 718 Posts
Default

I would probably reckoned you getting a more neutral putter in a baseline plastic like a Pro D Challenger, SS Wizard, DX Aviar, Karbon Touch or the new DGA Steady. It will help your short range game a lot and won't subject you to the hard fade or a Rhyno.

Panther will probably get floppy for you in time, but is fine. Roc, Buzzz, and Truth are all good stable miss that are good in any plastic.

What plastic is your Valk? A Star Valkarie is a fine driver if you feel you need one, I'd also look at a Leopard, View or anothe fairly straight speed 8 or less disc.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-27-2015, 02:22 PM
captainamerica captainamerica is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
I would probably reckoned you getting a more neutral putter in a baseline plastic like a Pro D Challenger, SS Wizard, DX Aviar, Karbon Touch or the new DGA Steady. It will help your short range game a lot and won't subject you to the hard fade or a Rhyno.

Panther will probably get floppy for you in time, but is fine. Roc, Buzzz, and Truth are all good stable miss that are good in any plastic.

What plastic is your Valk? A Star Valkarie is a fine driver if you feel you need one, I'd also look at a Leopard, View or anothe fairly straight speed 8 or less disc.
I have been looking at getting a Leopard. My Valkyrie is Champion.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,363
Niced 4,475 Times in 1,878 Posts
Default

@Captain - you will literally get 100 of different disc recommendations. Instead do yourself a favor and check this thread out.

How to Build a Bag

Garu goes through an excellent way to build a small beginners bag that will teach you a lot about throwing and golf lines.

Also, the Technique subforum should be your friend, not the Equipment.

O and at that arm speed stay away from MVP/Axiom.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Broken Shoulder's Avatar
Broken Shoulder Broken Shoulder is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Minnesota
Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 19
Posts: 3,630
Niced 1,248 Times in 547 Posts
Default

Unfortunately, the hard truth is that until your throwing form improves any of those wider rimmed drivers won't fly well for you. They will not go far and dump hard at the end and frustrate the crap out of you. It's entirely likely the Panther will go further.
We've all started in the same place and many of us rushed out and bought wide rimmed drivers and struggled with them, so our attempts to dissuade certain purchases are an attempt to save you much frustration. Ultimately it's up to you and what your goals are.
If I were you, I'd keep throwing that Panther. I'd mix in a more neutral putter like a beadless Aviar or a Magic and probably a DX or Pro Leopard as a driver.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 06-27-2015, 02:32 PM
captainamerica captainamerica is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
@Captain - you will literally get 100 of different disc recommendations. Instead do yourself a favor and check this thread out.

How to Build a Bag

Garu goes through an excellent way to build a small beginners bag that will teach you a lot about throwing and golf lines.

Also, the Technique subforum should be your friend, not the Equipment.

O and at that arm speed stay away from MVP/Axiom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
Unfortunately, the hard truth is that until your throwing form improves any of those wider rimmed drivers won't fly well for you. They will not go far and dump hard at the end and frustrate the crap out of you. It's entirely likely the Panther will go further.
We've all started in the same place and many of us rushed out and bought wide rimmed drivers and struggled with them, so our attempts to dissuade certain purchases are an attempt to save you much frustration. Ultimately it's up to you and what your goals are.
If I were you, I'd keep throwing that Panther. I'd mix in a more neutral putter like a beadless Aviar or a Magic and probably a DX or Pro Leopard as a driver.
Thanks guys. I will go check out that thread.

Any tips on how to throw a disc? Nobody ever taught me, so maybe I'm just doing it wrong, and that's why my distance is bad? Let me know, thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fairly new; My bag for 2012 TraviRamone Bag Suggestions & Feedback 2 02-10-2012 03:34 PM
Fairly new player seeking advice on how discs should act. SybotCB Technique & Strategy 2 08-04-2011 05:37 PM
Looking for a fairly new SSS wizard walkersfriend-sd Discs 12 07-26-2011 01:03 AM
Fairly New - Need advice/help PopeHodge Bag Suggestions & Feedback 8 06-03-2011 12:40 PM
Can some one explain this to me. Im fairly new to disc golf.... gcanter2376 Technique & Strategy 35 08-28-2010 10:55 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.