Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 12-05-2018, 10:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 281 Times in 181 Posts
Default Anyone switch over from predominantly backhand to forehand?

I never had a forehand until this year - the more I work on it, the more I like it. I feel like eventually I could have more distance and accuracy with it as opposed to the backhand as I dial it in.

Just wondering if that kind of switch ever happened to anyone.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2018, 11:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,330 Times in 952 Posts

I did the opposite years ago- made it all the way to the open division based almost solely on forehand and overhand then realized there was no way to compete without a backhand.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-05-2018, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,597 Times in 1,648 Posts

I didn't throw FH for the first 2 years I played. I'm 50:50 now, however the shot is shaped I throw it, although I will throw all upshots FH if I have the option. I basically just avoid the anny or full turnover line if I can, unless the anny with a soft landing is definitely the best line.

I've worked on BH so much, and barely ever do any field work FH because I don't want to overcook myself. Just some warm up throws and lots of upshot practice, and then throw drives on the course. I've put maybe 10% the technique time into my FH as my backhand and can throw within 20' of my BH distance very easily. Kind of frustrating, but the BH is still better at straight or mild shots under 325' for me since I can throw slower discs with less movement and no fade/skip in that range.

So yeah...some courses I play are set up that I'm throwing like 70% of the tee shots FH and people think I'm FH dominant then. It just happened, even though I want to be a BH player. I just would never want to be all FH, I don't get any FH pain but I do feel like I have to put more late effort into powered FH shots and I wouldn't want to have to do that off every tee all day.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 567 Times in 347 Posts

I did for approach shots.

I played my first couple of years backhand only. After developing a good forehand game, I found it a lot more accurate for upshots. FH approaches are my go to now, usually with a stable putter or mid like my Particle or Vector.

I use it when driving every round too, but when throwing off the tee I let the hole dictate whether I throw backhand or forehand more than anything.

I can get them out there, but my backhand has always had more distance than my forehand. Kind of frustrating being able to backhand a putter as far as I can flick a driver.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,597 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

I can get them out there, but my backhand has always had more distance than my forehand. Kind of frustrating being able to backhand a putter as far as I can flick a driver.
That number is probably like 400' for you though? I imagine the putter needs another 15-20' of height too.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-05-2018, 02:15 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 64 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
I never had a forehand until this year - the more I work on it, the more I like it. I feel like eventually I could have more distance and accuracy with it as opposed to the backhand as I dial it in.

Just wondering if that kind of switch ever happened to anyone.
This exact thing happened to me about 10-15 years ago: I always had a wonky, erratic backhand that I could place where I wanted it *MAYBE* 1 out of every 10 drives, I started observing other players' forehand form because I was getting frustrated with sucking, wanted to give a new shot form a chance, I quickly picked it up, and the FH soon became my go-to drive - I've gotten consistently better distance and location with a forehand off the tee for many years now. Upshots, touch shots, and putts, I still prefer the BH though.

I know that at their respective peak effectiveness, a backhand will always beat a forehand, but I've never, even with extensive fieldwork, tons of form experimentation, and the like, been able to really get my backhand to be anything better than "equal" in distance/accuracy to my forehand, and even that takes a ton of work to maintain, while I've always been able to go out onto the course and drop that FH drive where I want it to go at a reasonably consistent clip. Decent enough distance too, where I'm only going to get shellacked by the longest of courses.

You aren't alone, is what I'm saying.

Last edited by Kegelexercise; 12-05-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 281 Times in 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I did for approach shots.

I played my first couple of years backhand only. After developing a good forehand game, I found it a lot more accurate for upshots. FH approaches are my go to now, usually with a stable putter or mid like my Particle or Vector.

I use it when driving every round too, but when throwing off the tee I let the hole dictate whether I throw backhand or forehand more than anything.

Mike, I am finding the same thing - though my forehand is not a finished product, I am amazed at how often I park shots with it. Maybe it's because it is a simpler technique with fewer moving parts, but I developed a touch for these shots pretty quickly compared to backhand.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 2
Niced 457 Times in 331 Posts

I was throwing BH about 330 at one point, and my FH was your typical torque monkey FB flex shot. That was that until I tried to FH a PD, just to see what it would do. I ended up turning it over and having it go 400'+. My game gradually became FH dominant and was that way for almost a year, until something happened and I was feeling pain in the inside of my elbow. I had also recently acquired a Konopiste Open CD3 that flew at least 350' while everything else wasn't getting over 325'. I ended up getting it to 375' before a headwind decided to feed a pond that I shoukd easily clear. After that it was back to the drawing board and it took me a while before I was back at 375' BH. I had taken the oppourtunity of losing the CD3 to disc down and as a result I ended up working on throwing the slower stuff almost as far as wjat I had been throwing. I happen to pick up a Shryke after I had put my Destroyers back in the bag and the first round I had it, I threw it 400', which allowed me to take my Pre-Avery DS out of the bag. I gradually have worked the FH back into my game, and it has taken most of my shots from inside 200', except for the obvious BH hyzers. So I've gone from BH to FH to BH for drives, but my approaches have gone from BH to 50:50 to FH.

I need to go back and do some more work with that Chally now.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 95 Times in 49 Posts

I didn't throw forehand for my first 3-5 years of playing. Now on drives, it's probably a BH/FH split of 60-40.

The biggest difference for me is approaches. If I have a forehand hyzer or straight line available then that is what I am throwing.

Adding the FH really improved my woods game too.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,107 Times in 1,195 Posts

i throw roughly 50 50

most reasons i see people for switching a primary throwing style is because of physical limitations