Old 02-28-2019, 06:01 PM
Lefty Activist

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 37 Times in 13 Posts
Default Dealing with severe elbow pain

Hello all. It's been a LONGGG time since I've started a new thread, or been daily-active on here, but I still love this site, and this sport, and all you degenerates that were around when I was a regular

I'm dealing with a significant amount of pain in my throwing/left elbow now, and for the past while. Some days it's more manageable; some days I can barely drive with my left arm. I wear a brace on my forearm and rarely take it off, I TRY to limit what I do with my left hand and arm but I now realize I am lefty-dominant in EVERYTHING that I do, even unloading the laundry with my right arm feels strange to me. God forbid if you ever saw me THROW with my right arm...

Would love to hear any advice or stories or whatevers about dealing with elbow pain. Specifically for me it's on the outside joint(tennis elbow). Excercises, pain reduction/management, mental techniques, any advice or info at all.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2019, 06:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,022 Times in 553 Posts

Go to the carnival, track down Dr. Elmex, buy some of his magic elbow elixir, rub it on your sore elbow.

Or........

Go to a real friggin doctor or therapist and get it checked out, especially if it's significant.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-28-2019, 06:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.7
Courses Played: 111
Niced 19 Times in 12 Posts

Hi just got diagnosed with tendinitis and it hurts all the time. Prescription: rest, ice three times a day, anti inflammatories daily, and a few exercises. If it isn’t better in three weeks doctor will do cortisone injections. Damn. Get yours checked and get specific treatment recommendations.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-28-2019, 06:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.7
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,794 Times in 780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegraham View Post
Hi just got diagnosed with tendinitis and it hurts all the time. Prescription: rest, ice three times a day, anti inflammatories daily, and a few exercises. If it isn’t better in three weeks doctor will do cortisone injections. Damn. Get yours checked and get specific treatment recommendations.
While on regular doses of anti inflammatory meds, please make sure you are taking these with food.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,597 Times in 1,648 Posts

Just don't throw through the pain. Seek some real advice and make sure it's back to 100% or close to it...and try to figure out what part of your throw was hurting you at that point when you can do the motions without causing it to get worse again. Also be smart about figuring it out, don't just chuck in a field or play 3 rounds in a day and find out later if you are sore. Better to throw a couple shots and look at video of it, see if you can figure it out. If not, post and get advice. Basically work smarter not longer. I have realized that it doesn't matter if I film 2 throws or 20 throws, they will likely be about the same unless I'm actively changing something. So just throw a couple times and try to figure it out rather than overdoing it with more throwing.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:41 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 506 Times in 209 Posts

TheraBand Flexbar exercises worked for me.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,444 Times in 2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettUA View Post
Hello all. It's been a LONGGG time since I've started a new thread, or been daily-active on here, but I still love this site, and this sport, and all you degenerates that were around when I was a regular

I'm dealing with a significant amount of pain in my throwing/left elbow now, and for the past while. Some days it's more manageable; some days I can barely drive with my left arm. I wear a brace on my forearm and rarely take it off, I TRY to limit what I do with my left hand and arm but I now realize I am lefty-dominant in EVERYTHING that I do, even unloading the laundry with my right arm feels strange to me. God forbid if you ever saw me THROW with my right arm...

Would love to hear any advice or stories or whatevers about dealing with elbow pain. Specifically for me it's on the outside joint(tennis elbow). Excercises, pain reduction/management, mental techniques, any advice or info at all.

Thanks in advance
I think your problem is... that you throw with the wrong arm.

Seriously though, I had bad elbow problems when I first started playing. I eventually figured out a different way to throw that didn't bother my elbow but... I think that is what eventually caused the shoulder injury I have now. Get it checked out. There might be something simple like bone chip/spur that can be dealt with quickly and then in a month or two you can pick it back up without changing your throw and risking further and/or new injury.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,991 Times in 1,824 Posts

I used to get some golfer's elbow from gripping the disc too hard. Flexbar definitely helped and switching to a relaxed fan grip.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-28-2019, 10:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 154
Niced 644 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegraham View Post
^^^This is what I did when I got tendonitis a year and a half ago. It started with a little pain after the round, progressing to pain by the time I got to hole 7 or 8--that was when I went to the Dr. He told me to do what Joe suggested above, and not to play ANY disc golf. I was out for about 4 months (luckily it was winter) but I haven't had any elbow problems since. Also, now I wear the "Band-it" brace below my elbow during every round, and even during work parties and yard work--anything that causes extra stress on your tendons. Good luck, here's a link for that brace:
https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Band-Spor...gateway&sr=8-5

Old 03-01-2019, 07:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,590 Times in 1,554 Posts

OPTION 1 - Go straight past the doctor to an orthopedist, find out what's really wrong.

OPTION 2 - Hope it's tendonitis, go with anti-inflammatories and rest. And I mean, complete rest, no throwing 4-6 weeks. If that doesn't work, go to orthopedist.

OPTION 3 - Self-diagnosis, internet diagnosis, trial-and-error, until you eventually are resigned to go to the orthopedist.

OPTION 4 - Tough it out, man. Be a gamer. No pain, no gain. And so on, until you wind up with an orthopedist telling you that it's too late, you should have come to me sooner.

I had tendonitis in the bicep tendon; one day I couldn't lift a full glass of water with my throwing arm, without severe pain. After about a couple of weeks I went to the ortho, who diagnosed it, and prescribed some industrial-strength anti-inflammatories and about 6 weeks off.

That, or face the fact that you should be throwing right-handed to begin with, since 85% of courses are designed for RHBH throwers.