Old 02-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 37
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I have a dream

I want to propose a course but...........
1) Are seasonal courses realistic / appropriate? (ie: closed Oct.- Mar.)
The proposed location would be within 2 -3 miles of an existing, rural and highly regarded course which is somewhat under fire for its meer existance as well as ongoing erosion. I see this proposed course as a way to relieve pressure on the existing course as well as a way to reduce congestion on the other course during peak season. This proposed course is near a small community which would surely benefit greatly from the influx of players, but currently sees little, if any benefit from visitors of the already existing course.
2) Is the Army Corp Of Engineers (Oregon) an approachable group?
The proposed location, which is already an established park, is managed / owned by the ACOE and sees very little use. It has an established parking lot and a permanent bathroom.

I have done some research regarding course proposals and design but I'm clearly lacking knowledge about this process. At this time, I'm very passionate about disc golf and the establishment of new courses in an area that, in my opinion, is severely lacking. I'm a new member of the local club who seem to have other, albeit legitimate, focus. I've never played a tourney and I suspect I have minimal credibility when it comes to DG stuff in general.

As I writ, it is a dream and I just don't know where to begin.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seasonal courses do exist, mainly in areas where snow forces course closure in the winter and nearby snow-free venues exist. A good example of this is Wrightwood and Yucaipa - they shuttle the baskets up and down the mountain twice a year.

The idea of a "pressure-valve" course is good though - De La Veaga has suffered ongoing erosion issues to the point where at least one really classic hole was pulled entirely. The problem I see, of course, is that if the course is that good to begin with, the "relief" course would have to be stellar in its own right to draw players.

My 2 - don't spend it all in one place
Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,736 Times in 794 Posts

Robert Chard in Grants Pass, OR at: bchard at charter.net and Brad Huggins in Salem, OR at: bdhuggins at gmail.com are members of the Disc Golf Course Designers group. Contact either of them for some help. Yes, there are several courses on ACOE properties including the courses at PDGA HQ in Georgia, near Des Moines and in New England for some examples.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't been able to fully walk the proposed course. I tried yesterday but recent, heavy rains made it inaccessible, hence the reason for winter closure I suspect. I think the proposed course could be better than the existing course (go figure). The existing course is Dexter in Oregon.
Here is a rough representation of the proposed park. The right side boundary of the park is in question and may be much closer to the Y in the nearby roads, IDK. The right side portion contains most of the elevation change so I'm hoping the park would / could extend closer to the substation not visible on the far right - outside of my red line.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Robert Chard in Grants Pass, OR at: bchard at charter.net and Brad Huggins in Salem, OR at: bdhuggins at gmail.com are members of the Disc Golf Course Designers group. Contact either of them for some help. Yes, there are several courses on ACOE properties including the courses at PDGA HQ in Georgia, near Des Moines and in New England for some examples.
Thanks.
I saw their names from some of your other references to the DGCD.
Should I start there or should my local club be the first step?
Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 PM

I would start with either of those guys so you can plan your approach to the ACOE to see about feasibility first. There's an outside chance someone in your club may have connections with the ACOE so I wouldn't overlook that possibility at some point.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 02-17-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.8
Courses Played: 101
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think starting with those that Chuck suggests is the best place to start...along with the local club. What I've learned over the years is that a lot of local players (players in general) want more courses but are lacking the knowledge of how to get things done.

The first course I ever proposed was back in '92 and Chuck helped me along the way (do you remember Chuck?) with that proposal and speaking in front of a board. We didn't get it done that time but a course is now in the very same park...I like to think I got the ball rolling, with Chuck's help, of course.

Anyway...call or email. No matter what you are told by the ACOE, keep trying. A course I first proposed in 2007 was turned down three times before selling in 2009. Now, a year and a half later we're finally getting baskets in the ground. It takes time.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 831
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

I've played a few courses on ACOE managed land, so they very well might be open to it.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks All.
I've sent an email to Brad Huggins and also discovered he is a personal friend with one of the members of our local club, whom I will contact next.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
The first course I ever proposed was back in '92 and Chuck helped me along the way (do you remember Chuck?) with that proposal and speaking in front of a board. We didn't get it done that time but a course is now in the very same park...I like to think I got the ball rolling, with Chuck's help, of course.
I think that was the original Plymouth Creek wasn't it? There were two designs before the current one with "real" baskets. We started with posts. That eventually was revamped when someone put in homemade wash basin baskets. Then, their new domed tennis facility shifted the course layout into the woods where we originally wanted to go anyway to get 18 holes.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 02-17-2011 at 07:12 PM.