Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,756 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBaartman View Post
Like fo sho? How can you tell?
It has the Roc3 tooling?

I'm not 100% on what the Roc3 tooling is like since I don't throw them, but it's 100% NOT the Rancho Roc tooling.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 309 Times in 176 Posts

Just what exactly is/are the real difference(s) between a Roc and a Roc3, anyway?
Old 07-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,263 Times in 1,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
Just what exactly is/are the real difference(s) between a Roc and a Roc3, anyway?
The Roc3 uses the "3" top part, making the top very flat. Some Rocs may be relatively flat, but the Roc3 has a different top that makes it intentionally flat.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:40 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 309 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
The Roc3 uses the "3" top part, making the top very flat. Some Rocs may be relatively flat, but the Roc3 has a different top that makes it intentionally flat.
Is it really that simple, though? Exactly the same as a Roc, but with a top that has less dome? Same shoulder? Is it exactly the same as a “flat top” Roc? Flight the same? Break-in pattern the same?

Seems that there are some Roc purists who look down their nose at the Roc3. Is it because the regular Roc is in fact superior, or at least tangibly different, in some way? Or is it most likely because some of the Roc purists who look down their noses at the Roc3 also happen to be the kind of people who look down their noses in general?
Old 07-08-2019, 01:44 PM
*Super Moderator*

So...I can really only speak for me, but IMO Rocs are an overstable mid with good glide, so they respond well with some air under them so that the glide kicks in. I can power down on it and range it well, especially after it is seasoned to beat a lot of the LSS out of it. It's really workable for the way I throw (which admittedly is nose up like a n00b but whatever.)

A Buzzz is a basically stable mid that's faster and doesn't glide as much, so you pound it on a low line and it goes as far as you throw it. It doesn't work as well for me, but it works really well for players throw that way. The discs cover more or less the same shots but get their in slightly different ways. Some people prefer one over the other and some can throw both. The Roc3 was an attempt to copy the Buzzz flight pattern, more of a low line power disc. Some people like me notice the difference (for me it's because of the previously mentioned nose up thing that the Roc tolerates well and the Roc3 does not.) Some people notice no difference at all because they more or less cover the same shots.

Your experience may vary.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,263 Times in 1,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
Is it really that simple, though? Exactly the same as a Roc, but with a top that has less dome? Same shoulder? Is it exactly the same as a “flat top” Roc? Flight the same? Break-in pattern the same?

Seems that there are some Roc purists who look down their nose at the Roc3. Is it because the regular Roc is in fact superior, or at least tangibly different, in some way? Or is it most likely because some of the Roc purists who look down their noses at the Roc3 also happen to be the kind of people who look down their noses in general?
It's as simple as the Roc3 is a Roc bottom piece with a "3" top piece, the "3" top piece being flat. That's the "by definition" difference. Actual differences in feel and flight are different matters.

Yes, the Roc purists look down upon anything that is not a Roc, and that's their prerogative. I personally prefer the Roc3 because I like the feel in the hand the flat top provides, and that provides more fun for me. To each, his/her own.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:59 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
So far as my experience goes (and it's not at all comprehensive) the flattening of the 3 discs makes the discs by comparison a tad faster with less glide, so they respond better to power. So for my weaksauce throws the 3 discs don't work; I need the glide to get them to go anywhere. Guys with stronger throws love the 3 discs because they go where they throw them and don't have the unknown distance factor the glide presents to them.

Of course the exception for me (because there has to be an exception) is the Mako3, which just seems more stable and predictable than a Mako to me. Mako3's seem to like my weaksauce throws just fine. So nothing is set in stone, but as a general rule if I have a TL and a TL3 or a TeeBird and a TeeBird3, the 3 version isn't going to work as well for me.

Niced: (1)

Old 07-08-2019, 02:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 163
Niced 1,183 Times in 583 Posts

Quote:
It's as simple as the Roc3 is a Roc bottom piece with a "3" top piece, the "3" top piece being flat. That's the "by definition" difference. Actual differences in feel and flight are different matters.

Yes, the Roc purists look down upon anything that is not a Roc, and that's their prerogative. I personally prefer the Roc3 because I like the feel in the hand the flat top provides, and that provides more fun for me. To each, his/her own.
You're an idiot. And a victim. And have no useful info to share about Rocs.

Rocs have different tooling (each of the three classic molds have their own tooling) from a Roc3. So they are obviously not using the same Roc bottom piece(s). That said, the bottom and lower wing on a Roc3 don't feel much different than the Rancho bottom. You're right about the "3" top though -- Roc3s should come out of the mold flatter, while flat-top Rancho Rocs are flattened after they come out of the Rancho mold.

As a Roc "purist", I don't look down on the Roc3, or the Buzzz, or whatever mid mold works for the way a person throws and think through their game. But a Roc3 isn't a Roc, and it doesn't fly like a Roc (as Threeputt notes above, Rocs like to be thrown like putters to some extent, and work glide and nose angles while Roc3s are a driver's mid).

Niced: (2)