Old 09-11-2009, 02:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 21
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rules clarification, artificial devices

So I am try to bone up on the PDGA rulebook before a tourney later this month, and saw in a section on artificial devices, that GPS or other range finding items are illegal to carry. My iPhone has a GPS built into it, so does this really mean I can be penalized for having my phone in my bag, even if I don't use the GPS?

Quote:
802.04 Artificial Devices

A. During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may assist in making a
throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape,
bandages, gauze, etc.) and medical items (such as knee and ankle braces, etc.). Items used to prevent slipping on the teeing surface are also allowed. A player is specifically prohibited from using any artificial device that changes the position of the disc in the player's hand or artificially lengthens any of the player's throwing levers (fingers, wrist, arm, shoulder, etc.). The use of devices which assist in determining distances over 10 meters , such as range finders and GPS devices are prohibited. Measuring devices such as a tape measure may be carried and used to determine distances 10 meters and less for the purpose of rules enforcement.

B. A player shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if, during any portion of a
round, he or she is observed by two players or an official to be using or carrying an artificial
device that is determined by the director to violate section 802.04 A. A player who uses an
artificial device after it has been determined by the director to be in violation of 802.04 A
has also violated 804.05 A (3) and shall be penalized accordingly.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

actually while I'm at it, I'll go ahead and ask if your PDGA number needs to be on all the discs you use in the tournament? I saw this claimed in another thread and want to prep my discs ahead of time if this is the case so I'm not scribbling away at the start of the tourney when I should be warming up.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 112
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

technically carrying the phone with GPS is illegal according to the rules. I guess you might have to leave it in the car. I will forget you started this thread though and think nothing of it come the start of the JRM Tourney.

As far as writing on your discs, you only need to have some kind of identifying mark. It could be your PDGA number but it could also be your name and/or phone number. It could even be as simple as a little symbol that you put on your discs as long as it then can be identified as yours.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:24 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info! I don't mind putting my phone in the car during play. I just wanted to know ahead of time because I don't want any confrontations with rule nazis.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 86
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good to know
Old 09-11-2009, 09:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 131
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalbotTrojan View Post
As far as writing on your discs, you only need to have some kind of identifying mark. It could be your PDGA number but it could also be your name and/or phone number. It could even be as simple as a little symbol that you put on your discs as long as it then can be identified as yours.
Thats it
Old 09-11-2009, 09:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,561 Posts

As a practical matter, unless you're using the GPS on your phone, there's virtually no chance anyone will call you on it. There's about 100 times greater chance that the phone will get you a courtesy violation.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy

The rule says USE not possession. I wouldn't worry about the phone. Besides...I know my ass wouldn't make a better shot if I knew the distance.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 70
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, I would worry much more about getting the courtesy violation than someone trying to call you on using a GPS.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 831
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

I've carried my iPhone (ring turned completely off, in my bag) in every tournament I've played, and nobody has ever had an issue with it.