Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 11-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Tips to avoid losing your disc - Tips to find/retrieve your disc.

There are lots of threads on this forum about calling about lost discs. I say find your own discs and forget about calls. Share some tips to avoid losing discs and tips on finding/retrieving discs. .

When I first started playing, if I had a bad throw into weeds or bounced off a tree, I would look away in disgust. Now I always watch until it stops. I try to make a mental note of an object that it is in line with - tree, bush, etc.

If my throw does out of sight before it stops, I try to decide if could have rolled or skipped when it did land.

We always use a spotter on blind holes when playing in a group. Also when playing when it is close to dark. Also when playing a new course.

I usually avoid playing alone when it is getting dark.

I carry a baseball in my bag for getting discs out of trees.

I also carry a tape measure. I learned this tip from this forum. I don’t remember who posted it but thank you. It has helped me get one out of a tree and one out of water.

I carry a couple throwaway discs for water holes. I still try to retrieve them if I throw them in if at all possible. I just don’t like to lose a disc.

I let people play through if I need more time to look.

Anyone else have any tips?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2009, 11:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

Use a spotter on courses that are mostly open but have a few old growth trees...you get more skip and bounce on the flat land, and those trees just EAT discs.

Baker Farm in Chili comes to mind here.

I would also suggest running ahead of your group if your shot goes somewhere wonky that you're not likely to get hit, especially if you can run to it without taking your eyes off the area. Sometimes you start walking and just can't find the right path the disc took anymore.

\/\/
Old 11-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 66
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Apothecary

this seems like a really obvious piece of advice but know your discs flight plans. i turn my star destroyer over sometimes and i KNOW that when it takes that flexy flight path that its going to be a long hike.

also mentally note no-no areas like water or thick brambles that are to be avoided at all costs when you set up your shot.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 1091
Niced 68 Times in 32 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140

Don't throw on courses where Apothecary plays!

Seriously though, it isnt that hard if you watch it to the end, too many people get pissed and look away. ALWAYS DO NOT FORGET TO LOOK UP! There are a lot of discs lost because people are only looking on the ground and in the tall weeds/grass.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 20
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

I smear my discs in catfish bait, and bring my basset hound with me. Haven't lost one yet.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 66
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Apothecary

Quote:
Originally Posted by harr0140 View Post
Don't throw on courses where Apothecary plays!
hell be good to go as long as he plays with me...im like a rabid dog searching for someone to bite when someone on my card loses a disc. NOBODY loses a disc on my watch.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

walk that line immediately. and keep your eye directly on where you think your disc is. it doesn't matter if the next person in your group gets an ace. if you want to find your disc quickly and relatively painlessly, that's what it takes.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 47
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I have found as long as I keep my eye on my disc I can pin point the general area where it landed and find it. I have taken my eyes off it before and it is never good.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 156
Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic

A few Ive learned....be a man and use solid bright colored discs.....pinkies, oranges, purples, magenatas, anything that won't match foliage or camouflage.
Try not to play alone
Watch your friends disc and have them watch yours
Always help others look for their disc as they will return the favor(this includes a group ahead or behind you)......one of the truly cool things of our sport is the search and rescue camaraderie
Do more than make a mental note of your discs landing...you have to almost have a doggy go fetch attitude because as soon as you merely look away even if you watched it fly directly into the bush...your mind will play a trick on you and when you look back your apt to go where your mind thinks you should look and not where it went!
For instance if someone steals a purse and then goes into a crowd and ten people saw it and only one person watched the person the entire time and followed him visually into the crowd.....9 out of 10 would be guessing which person had the purse while the lone person who tracked and never lost visual eyesight would find the purse snatcher!

Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 569
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Here's a few:
- LISTEN. When I see a bad tee-shot heading toward a blind landing area I always tell everyone to listen. What did it hit? How big was the tree... or was it the vines? They sound different.

- The VERTICAL disc. Sometimes discs stand up in tall grass and are not laying flat. Change your angle and scan the ground horizontally.

- SHORTER. If you've searched an area and haven't found it yet... it's probably shorter than you think. Search 50' closer to the tee.
DSCJNKY