Old 08-11-2018, 10:32 AM

Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default Release direction, new problem

Hey guys, I have developed a new problem and it seems I cant correct it. And it is driving - me - nuts. I have been improving my long distance game and I am better at navigating gaps and hitting landing zones from 150 - 300 feet. But I really struggle with early trees and lines close to the teepad, I will hit them. In general, atempted annys usually start to far lest and hyzers right, but the other way around also happends. I have tried to correct this for two weeks now, but just cant seem to get it. Any advice?

I recently disced down from mainly throwing fairways to mainly throwing mids, if thats any clue. Anyone?

Normally I would just think that I should go out and practice more, but I feel like I am just cementing this bad form the more I play before I correct it.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2018, 03:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,650 Times in 1,103 Posts

Make sure you aren't rounding your throw, and you are keeping your upper arm/elbow out wide. If your upper arm collapses you're very likely to get early releases on annies...that extra angle I find really causes the disc to rip out before your intended hit point.

On hyzers maybe make sure your stance is offset the right amount, and you aren't lining up too straight/parallel so you are "griplocking" right when in actuality you may be releasing correctly but aligning your body/stance wrong.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:40 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 133 Times in 105 Posts

Sounds like a mental block just seeing trees in front of the teepad. This might sound crazy, but try playing that same course at night. Oddly, if you can't see the trees to the sides of the fairway, you are less likely to hit them. I've seen this at my local course. During night rounds we are all hitting the gaps without thinking about it. It's all about your focus. If you focus on the trees being there, you are more likely to hit them. If you concentrate on the gap you are trying to hit, you are more likely to hit it.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 101 Times in 68 Posts

A mental note that has helped me be able to hit the gaps I intend is to try and focus on the empty space in the gap, not the tree. By this mean say in your head say "i'm going to pure that gap" envision the disc flying through the space on the angle you want. Don't come up the the tee and say in your head" I'm not gonna hit that tree this time" It's put your mental focus on the tree and inevitably you drive right into the tree.