Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Travel & Meets > Vacations & Road Trips

Old 12-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 98
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 221 Times in 122 Posts

Branson Trails would be considered extreme golf by most. I would not take non disc golfers there. Plus, it's basically someone's backyard. I honestly think that Treehouze is an interesting enough property with some pretty views on rolling hills. The place is some type of resort so if I were you I'd look that place up and see what all they have. It's more than disc at that place.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2018, 05:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 182
Niced 39 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jablewokeez View Post
are any of these courses located where the rest of the family (ages 12-45) all in fair shape with a desire to be outdoors can be entertained?
Yep. There's other stuff to do on the property. There's also Big Cedar Lodge across the street. I don't think you have to be a guest to go to the activity center, which has go carts, bowling and an arcade.

Top of the Rock is also close. It's a total tourist trap, but it's nice. I think they charge to park and shuttle you up there, but it has a restaurant with a great view of Table Rock Lake and they fire a cannon and do a bugle call at sunset. I haven't done the driving cave tour, but I hear it's pretty underwhelming.

There's also Branson Zip Lines pretty close, which is fun. And somewhere near there (it might be the zip line place) has a hill with that fake snow foam stuff. I saw it from the road, but don't know anything else about it.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:47 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 10 Times in 8 Posts

I live in MO...dont go to Branson.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:06 AM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Flyer View Post
I live in MO...dont go to Branson.
I mean, thats not really an option at this point. Family decided to forgo the whole spend several thousand bucks on gifts this year. And instead go to a tourist town and spend several thousand looking at xmas lights. Im fine with it because i need a break.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 347 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
I mean, thats not really an option at this point. Family decided to forgo the whole spend several thousand bucks on gifts this year. And instead go to a tourist town and spend several thousand looking at xmas lights. Im fine with it because i need a break.
Also from STL and Branson gets a bad wrap because of the whole Silver Dollar City and cheesy variety shows, but I love taking my family there and we don't do any of that stuff. Branson is in the beautiful Ozark mountains and if you like the outdoors and are into renting cabins with excellent views it's a great spot. Tons of fun stuff for kids and my wife and I find a kick ass cabin with a hot tub to chill in after the kids are down. VRBO/Air BB is the best way to find isolated cabins with views. I stay away from the big condo/resort style spots, but if that is your thing there is plenty of that. You likely already have this part of your trip secured by now. We also love Putt Putt and Branson has plenty of it.

Big Cedar/Top of the Rock//Wonder of Wildlife Museum & Aquarium are all one spot and right down the road from the Treehouz course. It's open to the public. Top of the Rock has a "lost canyon cave" golf cart tour. We did that one year with the kids and had a blast. Stunning piece of land. It was a bit pricey, but worth if for us. At one point you drive up into a cave that has a waterfall in it and they have a little drive up bar so you can grab a cocktail or beer. There is also and incredible wooden bridge over a valley with a stream below and other waterfalls/water spots along the way. So many amazing photo opps. We did not eat at the restaurant, but drove up to it on the golf cart tour and wow are the views outstanding. It sits next to maybe the most beautiful driving range ever. Google it. Not sure what is seasonal.

Dogwood Canyon Nature Park is again, absolutely beautiful. It's maybe 25 min down the road from Big Cedar but they are related somehow and you can book tours for one/both spots. We went there for some hiking but they also have tours with large Off Road Trucks/Trailers that are popular. It also has a beautiful lodge/restaurant. Waterfalls, mountain lakes, all that stuff. Premier Ozark mountain property and I'm a lifetime hiker/floater of the southern MO Ozark region.

Branson Trails is extreme and Treehouz is awesome, but also long. There is a course called Sunset Park - 9 holes and sits on a flat piece of land and is for sure family friendly. It's nothing special, but a good option if you want to get your fix and are not wanting championship style disc golf. Maybe you can pull off playing Treehouz and sending the family members not interested to Cedar Lodge or Dogwood Canyon. Even with bad weather the Wildlife Museum and Aquarium would be a great idea. Big Cedar is just down the road from Treehouz, while Dogwood Canyon is maybe 20 Min.

Have fun!

Niced: (2)
Old 12-13-2018, 07:59 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 10 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Honestly its probably not as bad as I remember. I was just not a fan. To each his own.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:41 AM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Flyer View Post
Honestly its probably not as bad as I remember. I was just not a fan. To each his own.
I am born and raised in a tourist town. Here on the Texas coast. So trust me I get the whole overpriced tourist town is overrated vibe. If i had my way we would hop in the car and drive until something caught our eye, then we would stop and check it out. And do that everyday for a week. But hey, not everyone is a beaver.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-14-2018, 01:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 207
Niced 232 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
Dogwood Canyon Nature Park is again, absolutely beautiful. It's maybe 25 min down the road from Big Cedar but they are related somehow...
They are related because the owner of Bass Pro Shops owns both properties. He has been buying up and developing a LOT of land around Branson.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 166
Niced 497 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:
As the title states, our family is headed to Branson for X-mas. My father-in-law and I are both new to the sport and would enjoy throwing a round or visiting a disc shop. We are from South Texas. Looking to throw a round or two while we are up there, any recommendations for courses or shops would be awesome!
Branson Trails (Blue) and Branson Cedars (Treehouz) are really good. They're both long, and Trails is a physical beat down in addition to having tough golf. Weather will be a factor as well. I second the suggestion of doing Treehouz, as it's more beginner friendly though will still introduce you to a good course that is representative of the local terrain. There's another course in Branson, or was, called Sunrise or something. I missed it in favor of the better courses. No regrets, but I can't say what you'd like!