Old 10-05-2017, 11:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,442 Times in 1,556 Posts

Wait on the Comet arriving and see where you're at, I think you'll like it. It should be familiar to throw compared with your Shark, and have a ton of glide. Should be very straight. As you gain more power and sort out consistent form I think you'll get to see some good shots out of the Buzzz SS still, so take it out every once in a while.

If you love the Pure then as others have said a Pure in Opto can be a good idea as a throwing putter that won't gouge/ding up quickly.

Your DX Leo/Teebird combo is the best there is for the straight fairway shots. As you throw harder the Leo will turn more and the Teebird will be straighter. Eventually as it beats in and you throw harder still, the Teebird will turn too much to be considered dead straight. This will likely be at 350' or more though. There really aren't better options in that speed 6/7 range for most players, unless these get too beat up and/or you want to move to premium plastic...then you may have to look at a different mold to balance out the stability influence of premium plastic.

I feel like you need to be throwing fairways a minimum of 250', likely 280' or more to be able to get a true dead straight shot out of them. Just going to that rim shape/width means they will fade to an extent at shorter ranges.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-05-2017, 11:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 83
Niced 319 Times in 216 Posts

TripleB, I think what you want is an ESP Buzzz at about 172g. That will be your driver for a while. It will be longer than your Pure and it will fade more until it beats in some and you start throwing harder. It will be board flat like your Zero medium Pure and provide a great grip.

I would seriously stick to that for now. Glad to hear you're making some good progress with the Pure! A 150 foot dead straight shot with a Pure is a thing of beauty. Opto Pures are really nice too. Don't worry about your medium getting beat up a bit. Just work it back into shape with your hands. It's not gonna get super flippy on you anytime soon. Just keeping working on that straight shot! It's the hardest shot in disc golf.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:18 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 23 Times in 20 Posts

I use the Westside Warship for the longer-than-putter straight shot; Flies fairway driver far with putter power. Mid 170's VIP for some fade and high 160's TP for lasers...
Old 10-06-2017, 02:09 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 343 Times in 162 Posts

Stick with the Pure. If you are getting 175' feet with it, there is a lot of room for growth (around 75' or more.) That 247' downhill hole that you got within 15' with the Pure? You should set a goal to be able to duplicate that on a 247' flat ground hole. Keep on playing rounds with only putters. Take your time and really find out all that can be done with a putter. If you like the Pure, invest in an Opto Pure. It will be a great straight flyer that should last a long time.

See what you can do with the Comet when you get it. As with the Pure, take your time and really learn the disc.

Give the Discraft Mantis a try.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:50 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Niced 172 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
See what you can do with the Comet when you get it. As with the Pure, take your time and really learn the disc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
If it were me today talking to me learning BH I'd say to save my money and keep working with the Pure.
Getting more discs won't help you as much as using the ones you have more. Actually, more discs will slow down getting to know the discs you have. You already experienced the effect of using one discs a whole lot for a variety of shots. (The Pure, to a large part, works for you well because you know it well.) The more different discs you have, the less you will know each of them.

You've probably read the ``It's the archer, not the arrow!'' saying. Work on the archer! The arrows you have are already fine. You have good ones for your stage of development. There's no need to add more ... motivated by a wish for some magic. You won't find magic in these new discs, but you'll find improvement when practicing more with what you have.

(I know that getting new discs is fun ... and we all like to have fun, and that's fine ... but for getting better you don't need further discs within the next months.)

Old 10-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 435 Times in 242 Posts

Star leopard for drives. Mako 3 for mid range duties. I would try to find 165-170s. As you gain distance add a champ Teebird and another slightly over stable mid.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:08 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 32 Times in 18 Posts

An X Comet would be perfect for a mid.

If the DX Leopard is fading out too much to use for straight shots, that means you won't find a fairway driver that fades less. It's as understable as fairway drivers get. Stick with the Leopard or mids/putters until you can throw the Leopard straight.

If the problem is that the Leopard is turning too much, either learn to hyzerflip it or there are a bunch of options for something slightly less understable. Based on what I've thrown in the past, a Pro Leopard or GStar FD are good options.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic cannon View Post
At your distance, maybe look into something like a Mako3 at like mid 170's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
Get another pure. You're going to beat that one in quickly. Maybe get one in opto plastic so it lasts. I just bagged an opto pure myself, and it's awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
Mako3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Get an Opto Pure for throwing. It will last longer. I also like how it feels in the hand, but that's just me.
Definitely going to get another Pure in the Opto plastic...since the 174g is flying so well for me in the Zero Medium I'm going to stick with that weight in the Opto!!!

As far as the Mako3: what plastic (Champion/G-Star/Star) do you recommend and in what weight? Lighter than my putters?

As far as a fairway driver many are recommending the Leo3, but since I've lost confidence some in my Leopard I'm thinking of giving the River (in Opto or Gold Line) a shot.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 10-06-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 83
Niced 319 Times in 216 Posts

One think about the River is that it is notoriously nose angle sensitive. If you don't keep the nose of that disc down.... She's gone!

They are seriously great fliers though but they take some power and a good crisp nose down throw to fly to the numbers.

Pro Leopard would be a more forgiving disc. But as many others have already said, you would do well to stick with the drivers you have for now and focus on learning to throw line drives with your Dx Leopard or a Pro Leopard. Until you can do that, no driver is going to fly the way you want it to. The Fuse is a decent suggestion but honestly, I find the grip to be odd. I like the feeling of the grip of a flat ESP Buzzz, it just feels more intuitive in my hand and inspires more confidence to get the throw out of it that I want.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 664 Times in 387 Posts

So the trick is that while there are definitely discs in every category that can fly dead straight lines, you need to throw them fast enough in each category to make that happen. I can make a worked in Roc or a fresh Fuse go dead straight, but that takes throwing them 300+ feet. Similarly, I can make a Star TL go dead straight but I have to throw it 350+. I rarely make any distance driver fly dead straight unless I throw it too low for the fade to kick in, and I can throw a bit over 400 feet. It takes more power than I've got to make most wider rimmed drivers go straight. You don't see those shots even from a lot of pros; distance driver shots nearly always get some fade. The fastest drivers I see a lot of pros throwing really straight are speed 9's like the Thunderbird.

Anyway, my point is that you aren't necessarily going to find any disc faster than a slow mid that you can throw dead straight at your current power level. "Faster" discs do not necessarily fly further (or fly their intended lines) unless you throw them harder. That doesn't mean you shouldn't also experiment with a few faster, understable discs like a Leopard or River or FD. They will probably get you a little more distance, and they will teach you to shape some lines and use the fade to your advantage. Just don't expect those discs to fly by the numbers for you at your current power. As your arm speed gets faster (and the discs beat in), you will see them fly truer and truer to spec.

Niced: (1)