Old 12-06-2021, 11:55 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 291 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
I like his game. Anyone who intentionally skips a disc off of water during a major tournament is okay in my book.
I've played a couple league rounds with him. He is a class act. Watching his rounds on YT is entertaining. "Reid doing Reid things"
Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2021, 04:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,571 Times in 772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
--Hey, it's very nice to meet you.

--Yeah, you too...where ya from?

--Cleveland

--Oh yeah? I got a buddy from Cleveland...hey do you know a guy named Paul Smith?

Lol...this conversation reminds me of the futility of this thread.

Despite my sarcasm, the speculation is fun to read.
Reminds me of this tweet: https://twitter.com/redmondmichael1/...05515953238016

Niced: (2)
Old 12-06-2021, 04:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,571 Times in 772 Posts

Since this has kinda devolved into seeing random great throwers randomly on the course, my best story involves recognizing someone almost immediately, though not by appearance. I was living down near Jacksonville Florida and had no car. My lil sis picked me up and dropped me off at the Ed Austin course while she and my niece went shopping at a nearby mall. It was the only chance I'd have likely for a few months to get onto a disc golf course. I played through the long tees and when I got back to the hole 1 for a round from the short tees some guy was warming up putting with a trio of discs and a cooler full of beer.

I might have completely walked by him and made my way around the course but... his putting style was incredibly distinct.

My exact question when I walked up to him was the awkwardly and sheepishly stated, "Um, are you number 9 9 9 9?"

The answer was yep and I wound up getting to watch Ron Russell chuck a -20 on the 24 short tees at Ed Austin, absolutely blistering it with a Comet and (if I remember correctly) a Magnet and a fairway driver that I'm not sure he even threw. The round culminated in a picture perfect 475' backhand roller into the bullseye on the final hole. Which I think might also have a slight uphill grade.

(he was also super cool, and upon hearing it was my only chance to play DG for months asked if I wanted to crash at his place and then play more the next day and then he'd get me up halfway to meet my sister the next day - truly a great host, talked about all his championships, showed off his disc collection, and watched disc golf DVDs and played putting games until it was time to crash)

Old 12-06-2021, 05:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.7
Courses Played: 262
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7,599 Times in 2,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Since this has kinda devolved into seeing random great throwers randomly on the course, my best story involves recognizing someone almost immediately, though not by appearance. I was living down near Jacksonville Florida and had no car. My lil sis picked me up and dropped me off at the Ed Austin course while she and my niece went shopping at a nearby mall. It was the only chance I'd have likely for a few months to get onto a disc golf course. I played through the long tees and when I got back to the hole 1 for a round from the short tees some guy was warming up putting with a trio of discs and a cooler full of beer.

I might have completely walked by him and made my way around the course but... his putting style was incredibly distinct.

My exact question when I walked up to him was the awkwardly and sheepishly stated, "Um, are you number 9 9 9 9?"

The answer was yep and I wound up getting to watch Ron Russell chuck a -20 on the 24 short tees at Ed Austin, absolutely blistering it with a Comet and (if I remember correctly) a Magnet and a fairway driver that I'm not sure he even threw. The round culminated in a picture perfect 475' backhand roller into the bullseye on the final hole. Which I think might also have a slight uphill grade.

(he was also super cool, and upon hearing it was my only chance to play DG for months asked if I wanted to crash at his place and then play more the next day and then he'd get me up halfway to meet my sister the next day - truly a great host, talked about all his championships, showed off his disc collection, and watched disc golf DVDs and played putting games until it was time to crash)
Awesome! I could watch that spin putt all day.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:49 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 921 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
This reminds me of that "I think I'm in love" innova ad from several years ago. I can't seem to find it on YT anymore, maybe it was taken down after all the metoo stuff?

Two young guys playing a round and a young attractive brunette catches up to them on a tee and asks to play through and then crushes a drive... They both lean into frame and one says, "I think I'm in love, dude"

Was it Madison Walker? Can't remember, it's been awhile but it ran during tourney coverage for one summer back in like 2014-2016...

... or maybe it was a DynamicDiscs ad?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zLvMjerbj3A

Niced: (3)

Old 12-06-2021, 07:04 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 304 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Awesome! I could watch that spin putt all day.
That lock-n-load anny putt was fun to watch.