Old 11-18-2017, 02:56 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 86 Times in 61 Posts
Default Wrist Pronation and Thumb Push

Confused about how to pronate wrist (or roll forearm under) and thumb push.

How do you orient the disc in the backswing so that pronation of the wrist and thumb push don't cause you to release on "extreme" hyzer angle? Do you hold opposite edge/wing more up so that as you pronate disc is only on slight hyzer angle? Or does the pronation of wrist/rolling under of forearm happen more during the follow through (when thumb points to ground/palm of hand away from target)?

Clearly confused. Tried DFP thumb grip in the field after a round for only a few throws and had some somewhat exciting results in that I felt like I could hold onto the disc later and get a better last pendulum with hand. Discs were getting out there fast but was throwing nose up without thumb in my normal position and with confusion on the above.

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2017, 12:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 187
Niced 661 Times in 496 Posts

My disc doesn't change orientation, but my arm supinates in the backswing so the hand is more underneath the disc with front shoulder rotated back lower and further than opposite shoulder in Tilted Spiral/Reciprocating Dingle Arm, unless I'm throwing anhyzer.

I only use DFP for nose up hyzers which isn't very often:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5zH_jQYjQ&t=2m19s

DFP is a whole separate animal from Thumb Push/Pronation - which TPP should feel exactly like flinging a quarter on table and it's pushing flat/nose down as you extend your leverage on the quarter targetward and pronate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7kXP36hfv8#t=7m55s

Niced: (1)
Old 11-19-2017, 02:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 664 Times in 463 Posts

Does pretty much everything else in your throw have to be right in order to feel the thumb push? Like if I'm not able to get leverage/counterweight through the hit point, is it not going to happen in a meaningful way? Most of us are just getting our arms moving real fast at the hit rather than actually countering the throw and pulling the disc through...
Old 11-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 86 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
My disc doesn't change orientation, but my arm supinates in the backswing so the hand is more underneath the disc with front shoulder rotated back lower and further than opposite shoulder in Tilted Spiral/Reciprocating Dingle Arm, unless I'm throwing anhyzer.

I only use DFP for nose up hyzers which isn't very often:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5zH_jQYjQ&t=2m19s

DFP is a whole separate animal from Thumb Push/Pronation - which TPP should feel exactly like flinging a quarter on table and it's pushing flat/nose down as you extend your leverage on the quarter targetward and pronate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7kXP36hfv8#t=7m55s
That makes sense, I wasn't taking into account arm supination as I was thinking through it. Thank you. I'll have to practice thumb push pronation accordingly with my normal grip. Wondering if I need to grip harder. I'll experiment.

I might play around more with variances of DFP grip to see if I can maybe cheat the thumb in a little more yet still get that leverage and keep nose down... we shall see.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 187
Niced 661 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Does pretty much everything else in your throw have to be right in order to feel the thumb push? Like if I'm not able to get leverage/counterweight through the hit point, is it not going to happen in a meaningful way? Most of us are just getting our arms moving real fast at the hit rather than actually countering the throw and pulling the disc through...
Thumb push from closed shoulder.