Old 07-22-2014, 09:42 PM

Courses Played: 4
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Angry 1 year in and struggling with form

Hi All,

Hoping to get some help from some people who are way better than me. Here is some background. I have been playing for about a year, and really focusing on trying to improve my form this summer. For a couple of weeks I have been throwing with only one step, working on trying to get rid of my strong arm problems and work on weight transfer and timing. Read a lot threads here and over at disc golf review, but still very frustrated and can't figure out this plateau.

This video was from my first time transitioning from the one step to a proper x-step. My results were very mixed. In the video above I threw pretty much every disc in my bag (list below) and pretty much every disc went from 260-290 feet, drivers, mids, and putters included. I was also unable to really get any flip out of any of the understable discs I threw.

I have some ideas on what might have been going wrong, but figured I would ask for some help. I am trying to keep the nose down, but not sure if I am being successful at that (the longer discs seem to still be dying, but not nearly as bad in the past). I am trying not to throw up (note, the camera is at ground level tilted up so a lot of discs look like they are going high, but most are about at the level of that tree in the background). I might still be strong arming it, but struggling to get rid of it (plus I thought that would show more in my putter drives). Finally, is my reach back a bit too far? (my right shoulder is a bit sore performing the reach back action). Also figured it might be grip problems or footwork. (Pretty much anything you could do wrong, I bet I might be doing that).

Any advice would be super appreciated!

Here is the link for the video:

http://youtu.be/sEi0uzL-gvI

Here are the discs in the order that I threw them (all MVP/Axiom):

Fairway Drivers: Amp (neutral), Shock (overstable), Inspire (understable), Switch (understable), Crave (neutral), Resistor (overstable)

Then mids, Tangent (understable), Alias (understable-neutral), Axis (neutral), Vector (neutral-overstable)

Then putters, Anode (neutral-understable), Ion (neutral-overstable), Envy (neutral-overstable)

Then distance drivers (don't normally throw these, but was just throwing everything in my bag, trying to at least get down the motion), Impulse (understable), Inertia (understable).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2014, 09:52 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Embedded for easier access.

Last edited by ngeunit1; 07-22-2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: link problems
Old 07-22-2014, 09:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 185
Niced 660 Times in 495 Posts

You have a hugging and balance problem, need to get your elbow out forward. You over heave the disc(and yourself/balance) back too far in the reachback out of posture and then back forward. Need to keep your spine tilted forward toward the toes in an athletic posture.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...d.php?t=107646

Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 120 Times in 66 Posts

Just give it time, good form takes time.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:38 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You have a hugging and balance problem, need to get your elbow out forward. You over heave the disc(and yourself/balance) back too far in the reachback out of posture and then back forward. Need to keep your spine tilted forward toward the toes in an athletic posture.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...d.php?t=107646

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try and incorporate those suggestions next time I get out to the field.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 118 Times in 71 Posts

I would certainly try to get that left arm under control, looks like you could throw 2 discs at a time with that form. Seriously....let that left arm kind of dangle down and not move while you go through the motions. That extra arm movement has to be taking it's toll on overall torque, energy, control, etc.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 38
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

bend your right elbow.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:09 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

After taking a bit of time off disc golf (getting frustrated on trying to improve form...), I got back into it and am focusing on field work and at home drills as opposed to course time for the time being. I have really tried to focus on those things above (hershyzer drill and closed shoulder drill).

That being said, after a few weeks of struggling with field work, I took some videos today and was hoping for critique. Prior to this session, I focused on doing some closed shoulder drills with a towel and hershyzer drills and tried to incorporate them today. That being said, nothing at all felt right and I am not confident any progress was made.

My current problem is there is so much good content out there and drills to choose from that I am not sure what path through all that information to take to start to incrementally go from doing just about everything wrong to starting to correct things. I would like to get on a schedule of 2-3 days of field work with 3-4 days of at home drills a week and focus on 1 thing at a time for a week or two. I find that if I try to focus on too many things at the same time, everything goes to hell.

Here are some videos from today for examples of my current state. Any help and guidance would be super appreciated and I will plan on bringing the camera out for future sessions (weather permitting) to help track progress. All the discs from this session are either Aviars or Sharks. I will also say that I was trying to throw flat and everything was coming out anhyer (a common problem I have).

Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 185
Niced 660 Times in 495 Posts

Watch first video below about 100 times and do exactly what he does..."from behind you". You are trying to shift way too far and from in front of you instead, so you never make it upright on to your front leg. This change should feel very strange to you.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:34 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback!

Spent a few hours of the course of the past couple nights working on the crush the can concept (didn't have any cans around, but getting the feel of it) as well as the one leg drill. Went out on the field to see how it felt and you were right... incredibly strange.

Took forever to find a place to throw this evening and my other camera broke so the video kinda sucks... But just looking for some general feedback if it looks like I am incorporating some of the crush the can and swing/fall/fall concepts correctly. It is tough to tell since it feels so foreign. I definitely want to continue to focus on this concept for a while longer, but want to make sure I am no going in the wrong direction.

Also one other follow up question. Even on the sidewalk, I was having trouble pivoting my plant foot and this was causing some of the balance loss. I currently wear Merrell Moab GORE-TEX® XCR® and I feel like the sole is super heavy and too grippy. Should I consider a lighter shoe?

Thanks again for the time and effort!