Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 07-26-2017, 12:11 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

My guess has always been because they have a glide of 1. Meanwhile, you have Gators and such which have a slightly better glide (or a Pig which I've always found as more stable than a Rhyno) that can be powered down to do everything a Rhyno can do. Can't really power up a Rhyno too well and expect much more. I find them very comfortable putters for forehand and backhand, short utility discs until they beat in, then they're straight. I currently bag a G* San Marino Rhyno and a San Marino Star Aviar for my throwing putters and find they compliment each other beautifully.

Wonderful discs, they really are. Toss them and they sit where they fall, unless they fall on landscaping glass which seems to give them a good 30' skip.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2017, 12:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 252
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 573 Times in 343 Posts

Quote:
Rhyno: Why don't more pros use them?
Probably because they don't want to.
Not knocking the Rhyno at all, but if there aren't many pros using it, apparently, most pros feel that their needs are better served by some other combination of discs.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 562 Times in 451 Posts

My guess is that most Innova pros start out putting with Aviars or its variants (to include the Discmania P2), and stick with that when they get the plastic they like. And so their throwing putter is similar to the Aviar or P2 family, and they don't go to the different feeling Rhyno.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-26-2017, 01:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 64 Times in 31 Posts

Are we talking putting putter or as an approach disc? Putting putter is most about feel, but I'm sure some of it has to do with a pro's circle of confidence. If you're running a rhyno from 50 feet out you're not aiming straight at the basket. An aviar can run a straighter line to the bucket from farther away.

As far as an up shot disc, most of your top pros are getting to the green. The lowly am that I am will lay up from a much closer distance whereas your pros can comfortably run the basket because they know they can make a 30 foot come back putt. They're just better off the tee and have a larger putting radius so I don't think there is a huge need.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 146
Niced 475 Times in 269 Posts

A lot of people don't know this but most pros are real sticklers for proper spelling. You don't want to line up for that tourney clinching death putt and look down at the last second and go "WTF, why is there a 'Y' in Rhino?"

Old 07-26-2017, 01:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 34
Niced 168 Times in 108 Posts

Maybe because they're banging putts from such great distances. Maybe missing putts the discs more chance of being up on edge vs. flat like a neutral Putter miss?
Old 07-26-2017, 02:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 302 Times in 163 Posts

Schusterick was going to have a champ rhyno as his sig disc when he was with Innova.

I don't think it would have been a full signature line, maybe for his USDGC wins?

Other than that there have been a few Innova pros that used a Rhyno over the years.

As others mentioned; MJ, Dollar, Wiggins and I think Feldberg, probably others.

With Lat. 64 releasing their version of the Rhyno, I wouldn't be surprised to see them (Rhynos) getting some more attention.

Innova should run some flat and stiff Champ Rhynos again, that are actually OS, that would help.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 72 Times in 47 Posts

95% of all Nashville open players bag rhynos. mentioned before Logan Bowers and Will Schuerstrick (before prodigy) are notable ones.

people here use it for everything: step out sidearm anny esacape approach escape shots, off the tee backhand short drives, rollers, etc.

hell there's a a guy who crushes rhynos (and pigs) sidearm on 350-400ft holes! a sight to behold the rhyno ends up looking like a high speed driver in flight the whole way.

when i moved to Nashville from CT it was cool to see how the rhyno seem to be nashville's signature disc.

i ended up finally learning how to sidearm my putters (i used my P2 instead) up to 200+ft on different lines because i saw what was possible with what the locals do with their rhynos.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 130
Niced 120 Times in 66 Posts

I used the old Champ Ontarios back in the day but eventually it came out because it wasnt overstable enough and I wasnt the biggest fan of how it felt in the hand. I fell like most pros dont carry one or any overstable driving putter because its not needed as much. Most pros will just power down an overstable mid for short overstable drives as opposed to powering up a putter.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 22
Niced 109 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
Local Pro Matt Dollar used to throw and putt with Rhynos when he was with Innova. Now he is with Latitude, and I am pretty sure he uses the Caltrop now.

And although the Factory Store Rhynos are not KC plastic, but they are stiffish and flat. I like Rpro, but the factory ones are awesome as well. I personally carry a Star Ontario that is flat and gummy and either a Factory Stiff or production Rpro.
Never thrown a Rhyno but if it's anything like the Caltrop, it's awesome. Caltrop rocks for short upshots. Laughs at wind and always sticks the landing. It's been taking some shots away from my Harp.