Old 04-04-2018, 10:09 PM

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Merrell Moab Vent VS. Terrex

Hi,

I currently wear the Merrell moab Vent for playing and was wondering if anyone has switched from them to any of the Adidas Terrex.

Did you find any big difference?

Did the Adidas have good traction?

How do the sizes compare?

Quality of the shoe?

And any other insights you might have.

Thank You in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2018, 07:51 AM

Courses Played: 11
Niced 17 Times in 14 Posts

I've been using the Moab for quite a while but recently got a pair of Terrex since I found them on sale. Its a bit hard for me to see any huge differences as I consider them both a great pair of shoes.

The Terrex have great traction on the teepad, and while I've yet to wear them in nasty weather, the sole seems to give good grip walking around and I've been finding myself wearing them more when not playing. The Addidas definitely run a bit narrower in the front of the foot so if you have extra wide feet that might be something to consider.

The Moab is an awesome shoe and I consider it more of a beefy workhorse than the Terrex. I've noticed a tiny bit of wear in the toes of the Addidas already while my Moabs are rock solid after a couple years. They still live in my car for days were the weather isnt the best or I'm going to be hitting some super gnarly terrain.

If its time for some new shoes and you want to try something new than try to grab a pair of Terrex on sale. If you're in love with the Moab and are hoping to find something even better, you probably wont be blown away

Niced: (1)
Old 04-05-2018, 09:40 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 4
Niced 116 Times in 86 Posts

Are these the most agile and durable options? I'm wearing out Salomon Gtx shoes as if they where designed for city use...
Old 04-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 111
Niced 188 Times in 100 Posts

PureAngus summed it pretty well. My experiences with both, switched from Moabs to Terrex.

The Moabs are generally a little heavier and thicker, might be a smidge better for the colder weather. The Terrex are lighter weight and thinner material (like the GTX versions) and are more comfortable for warmer weather. I find the Moabs to have better cushion support as they feel a tad more comfortable as the Terrex have a little thinner padding inside. Moabs are more like lightweight hiking shoes while Terrex are more like trailrunning sneaker shoes.

Give the Terrex the edge on waterproofing as they are Goretex (GTX version) while Moabs with Goretex might be harder to find nowadays. If both are Goretex then its a wash, but if you can't find Moabs with Goretex than definitely edge to Terrex. I had Moabs where out quicker for me than any of my Terrex shoes so durability for me is advtange Terrex.

Really can't go wrong with either one, but if temps are 30 deg and above I would go with the Adidas.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 198
Niced 144 Times in 88 Posts

I have gone through many different shoe brands ranging from cheap $50 shoes to expensive $250 boots. My experience (with the amount that I play) is that even if the shoe is of good quality the concrete pads will eat up the soles in about a year. I find the Merrell to be the best compromise between durability and price, so that's the shoe I always have at least one pair of.

I avoided the Adidas bandwagon initially because I already have 3 pairs of shoes for disc golfing and didn't really need another pair. When the 60% off coupon came up last year the price was too good to pass up so I ordered a pair of the Terrex Swift R GTX as a backup pair of waterproof shoes. I've seen lots of pictures of them failing around the toe area from others so I tried to be more careful about not bending too much at the toe with these shoes. Either way, about 5 months into ownership I had to make a warranty claim for them tearing at the toe just like all the other pictures I've seen. This did not impress me at all considering these were my backup shoes and did not see as much use. Their durability is on par with the the Salmon X Ultra if not worse, which is not great. They are however a comfortable shoe and have fantastic traction. If you have an extra pair of shoes to wear while you send these in for warranty I think they're a good buy when on sale. Definitely not worth the full price if your primary use is disc golf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180310_161710.jpg (147.5 KB, 29 views)

Old 04-05-2018, 05:52 PM

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
PureAngus summed it pretty well. My experiences with both, switched from Moabs to Terrex.

The Moabs are generally a little heavier and thicker, might be a smidge better for the colder weather. The Terrex are lighter weight and thinner material (like the GTX versions) and are more comfortable for warmer weather. I find the Moabs to have better cushion support as they feel a tad more comfortable as the Terrex have a little thinner padding inside. Moabs are more like lightweight hiking shoes while Terrex are more like trailrunning sneaker shoes.

Give the Terrex the edge on waterproofing as they are Goretex (GTX version) while Moabs with Goretex might be harder to find nowadays. If both are Goretex then its a wash, but if you can't find Moabs with Goretex than definitely edge to Terrex. I had Moabs where out quicker for me than any of my Terrex shoes so durability for me is advtange Terrex.

Really can't go wrong with either one, but if temps are 30 deg and above I would go with the Adidas.

Did you find the sizing to be similar?