Old 04-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts
Default DG Shoe Recommendations?

I have a pair of great Saucony running shoes I delegated as my disc golf shoes. Fantastic comfort and excellent grip through the woods on my home course.

I looked down today and found part of the sole coming off in four different places...I assume from where I plant my right foot and pivot around it on my throws.

Can anyone recommend a quality (yet affordable, maybe under $90 or so) pair of disc golf shoes that are extremely comfortable, durable, not too hot for Summer months, and grippy for all types of terrain...from fields to roots to climbing over fallen trees to sand to rocks to teebox to fairways to thorns to everything in between?

Thanks!!!

TripleB
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2018, 02:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 465 Times in 341 Posts

I was wearing Keen, I have switched to merrel Moab, they come in a variety of styles, waterproof, breathable mesh, many colors as well. All between$80-$100

Niced: (1)
Old 04-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 63
Niced 216 Times in 112 Posts

Columbia Redmond

Old 04-02-2018, 04:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 195 Times in 133 Posts

Any decent hiking boot should meet your requirements for price and purpose. REI for high end stuff or Big 5 for pagans like me.

I just picked up a pair of water resistent low tops for $65 last week and took them out for a trial run in a downpour yesterday. Worked like a charm, though I wasn't wading streams and bogs. I keep a pair of fully waterproof boots for the odd times they're needed, but the extra weight keeps them in the trunk unless I'm looking at ankle deep water.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:10 PM
Eagle Member

I'll definitely look into all of these recommendations!!!

Has anyone tried tennis (as in made for the sport tennis) shoes? I tried an old non-comfortable pair today and they worked pretty well. I thought maybe since they are made more for lateral movement they might hold up better than running shoes that are made pretty much for straight movement.

Again, I appreciate the recommendations.

TripleB
Old 04-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 195 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
...Has anyone tried tennis (as in made for the sport tennis) shoes?
TripleB - If I recall correctly, you are an avid tennis player/collector, so tennies may be right in your wheelhouse. That said, they're really not made for the conditions on the DG course. I would rather have a good pair of 'woodland' shoes than a pair designed for a flat field of play.

My 2 Cents...

Old 04-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 465 Times in 341 Posts

Quote:

Has anyone tried tennis (as in made for the sport tennis) shoes? I tried an old non-comfortable pair today and they worked pretty well. I thought maybe since they are made more for lateral movement they might hold up better than running shoes that are made pretty much for straight movement.

TripleB
Here's the thing, disc golf is a pretty specific set of movements. No shoe can really be "made for this" not really anyhow (maybe latitude 64 T links??) But what I find works the best is a low or mid top lighter weight (waterproof, if preferred although some sweaty stinky feet and shoes are not far off) also they're good to handle the terrain we have to deal with. You're going to grind any shoe if you play, just a sacrifice you need to be willing to make. I've never worn a "tennis" shoe the closet thing j see people wearing are probably New Balance, they have a few models that are pretty good from what I've seen aside from that, Keen, Merrell, Solomon, Lat64, Columbia and probably a slew of others make shoes that'll do ya just fine on the course, really it's all about finding the one that works for you. Good luck

Niced: (2)
Old 04-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 210 Times in 127 Posts

if you like your Sacony running shoes, try Asics trail runners. good traction in the rough stuff and decent wear. I'm pretty brutal to mine and wear them whenever it is reasonably dry.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 63
Niced 216 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:

TripleB
Tennis shoes are great on tee pads. Off the tee pads, however, it can be a different story. My home course, Rockland Park, would be considered a “moderate” hike if you simply walked the fairways. If you end up in a sinkhole it gets “strenuous.”

Depending on the courses you play, tennis shoes can work. I stick with trail shoes.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Eagle Member

I appreciate all of the input....right now the ones I like best are:

Columbia Redmond: https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Mens...ond&th=1&psc=1

Merrell Moab 2 Vent: https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-...2B2&th=1&psc=1

TripleB