Old 10-26-2017, 07:20 PM

Niced 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default Just venting

I've only been playing for about 6 months. I have putters, neutral mids, and understable fairway drivers. I try to play 2-3 rounds per week and do field practice 2-3 times per week. I've been maxing out my drivers about 240 but not consistently. Mids and putters a little less, respectively. Accuracy is hit and miss.

I had only been throwing from standstill until a few days ago. I have been annoyed because I couldn't get any discs to flip or turn over at all. Obviously I haven't developed any real snap yet. I've read all the threads and watched tons of video and still nothing.

Well, a few days ago I decided to incorporate a slow run up during my field practice and was thinking about the different aspects of good form that I've learned and voila! All of a sudden I was Able to turn my discs over! It was awesome! I was hyzer flipping all my fairway drivers and getting them to fly beautifully and land consistently around 270 and usually really straight. It was so cool!

The next day I was excited to hit the course and try out my new distance. Well, you guessed it. Nothing! Back to my old ways. No accuracy, no turn over at all, crappy distance. Bummed out I went home. Now after 2 more trips to the field, I still can't do it! The magic was there and then so quickly has vanished.

I'm certainly not giving up, I still love playing and practicing, but it's so weird. Once I had it working I never thought I would lose it right a away.

Anyway, long post. Had to tell someone because I don't know anyone else who would listen or care.

Love the forum!

Mike
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 42.6
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 142 Times in 85 Posts

I've been trying to figure it out for over forty years. If I do, I'll let you know. But seriously, some people have "it" and some don't. I don't, and I'm ok with that. As long as you are having fun and enjoying the activity, you win. It will be possible to get better, and you likely will if you stick with it.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 125 Times in 79 Posts

Keep on keeping on man. Field work can be weird. I have had those moments where I "figured something out" all to have it disappear the next time I throw.

It WILL click and it will be magnificent. I miss the milestones you hit being a new player. Its crazy what a few hours in the field can do.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 141
Niced 163 Times in 88 Posts

Get yourself some Comets and hit the field again. They should help you with your form. Try to keep at it until you develop habits that carry over to when you hit the course again.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 30
Niced 32 Times in 24 Posts
Talking

I feel your pain Mike McQuinn. I've been playing for almost 7 years now and my max distance is 320 (or maybe even less )

After much reflection, I blame my crappiness on not playing throwing sports as a kid. I have a tendency to strong arm throws even if it's something like a baseball. It's not natural for me to use my legs, hips, core and shoulders as part of the system that develops power.

The throw starts from the ground up, and your joints are a series of levers, that, if you are able to coordinate can work beautifully together. I spent years trying to throw hard instead of working on being smooth. It's more natural for some than others, I know that first hand.

Just watch some World Series baseball. When those batters crush homeruns, you can really appreciate how they derive power from their legs and hips, everything else follows.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:12 PM

Niced 6 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

Btw, I currently have
Z buzzz
Big z comet
Gstar mako3
Dx roc

Proton inspire
Star leopard3
Dx archangel
Gstar valkyrie

Several putters
Old 10-26-2017, 08:12 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 95 Times in 57 Posts

320 I can only wish.....enjoy the game and it'll come.sort of.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:16 PM

Niced 6 Times in 3 Posts

I really look forward to improving and I know I will. I keep rereading the common plateaus thread and find it fascinating!

Niced: (1)
Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 665 Times in 463 Posts

Yep, the more times you change the form the more you can repeat the changes next time though. But I just expected to lose "it" next practice session for the first while of learning. Until you've had that throw on 2-3 separate days, near consecutively, it can be a crapshoot for if "it" will work next time. Good news though, you will learn your personal cues for what is off over time and identify it faster. But it's super frustrating and happens to everyone.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:21 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 108 Times in 86 Posts

The best thing I can tell you for practice: practice from a standstill and keep it CLEAN. I was the worst at leaning over, strong arming, rounding, collapsing my brace, etc... the past few days I got sick of it and decided to stand still and keep my back straight and pull the disc straight through on a straight line. Today I threw a driver from a standstill further than I normally could with a runup, and it was exactly where I wanted it to go and stayed 10-15 feet above the ground the whole time. Use your putters and just pull straight through without tying to force it with any other muscles except basically your triceps. Pull that bad boy straight through straight across your chest and don't try and muscle it up. It'll come, trust me.

Niced: (2)