Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 AM

Niced 16 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by superberry View Post
Sad to say that you and your experience(s) are one of many. I'd venture to say that thousands of people have experienced the same thing. I (we) did almost every time we were there (8 in total) different day, different weird sh!t going on, same stories of wonder from a wandering John, and still not much getting done or improved on the courses. I can take the ****ty weird gross nonworking conditions of the shelters (yes just shelter, not much of a house). Gotta stay at the Honka!!! Or just camp outside on the grass. Stumble into the back of the truck if it rains at night.

The sad part was that aside from the unecessary work to make alternate tees and turn two amazing courses into hybrids called Blue Ridge and Granite Berry, there was so much ADHD thrown into other get rich quick schemes (more like just keeping your head above the water) that DG essentially became secondary. And to make it all worse those schemes that drained additional sorely needed efforts, were so poorly planned that execution was bound to fail. And they failed so bad that it left a pile of rubble like a warzone everywhere. This piling up just continued to erode away at amazing DG. It hurt a little bit to see it fade. From someone with a dream to own something similar to this, it hurt a lot. Best wishes to you Tom!!!! I'm here to help.

Why has no one mentioned Abby??? Maybe I missed it.
I did forget to mention the part when Abby's dog bit me. And John's story of Abby to us which I now should assume is all BS.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2019, 10:13 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 49.7
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 509 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
A significant portion of the property proper is in the name of Ann Marie Juaire Trust Agreement. This accounts for almost everything north of the Bear/Gold northern areas, 210 acres total, and almost all contiguous.
I believe the Juaires also own just about all common areas not parceled out as residential lots such as the top of the hill area around the clubhouse and other places around some courses. I assume that they must have owned the entire property at one time before the ball course was proposed. And compared the entire property, there really aren't that many residential lots to have to deal with, and not all of those would be a problem.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Can't believe I haven't thought of this...
Will you honor the lifetime membership I bought from John??? Which WI disc golfer could have passed up that $365 lifetime deal for entrance to the Mecca!!!
I think I heard Tom say he would honor those memberships but don't quote me on that. So are you back in Mqt. for good? Any new courses planned?
Old 01-10-2019, 10:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 265
Niced 20 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
I think I heard Tom say he would honor those memberships but don't quote me on that. So are you back in Mqt. for good? Any new courses planned?
Yes, back for good and glad to be back. I also have a Lifetime membership in Charlotte DGC, so hopefully my HHSC membership won't also go to waste.

YES!
Al Quaal will be resurrected and we are planning installation now.
New course development in Forestville.
MiDNR has asked us to resurrect a preliminary layout for Blueberry Ridge.
Still pushing for at least a temp portable course on Gentz's unfinished back 9 bolf course .
Powder Mill has the potential to expand across the river.
And a new Watch it Bend private course is not to far off once I close on some land.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:52 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 188
Niced 51 Times in 6 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to tick

Quote:
Highbridge Hills was originally going to be a ball golf course. ... I believe some ... lots were bought by disc golfers, and some other lots are owned by people affiliated with Highbridge Hills LLC. John... owns ... the four lots on Gold and Blueberry. I don't see the remaining landowners as being a problem or a burden on MMs' plans. ... I don't think they have had a landowners association meeting yet, but I'm hearing positive things from them so far, and I believe they will be receptive to what Tom and his team have planned.
I am working to organize a Lot Owners Association. There are basically 12 lot owners. 4 are disc golfers, Roger, John, and his sons make another 4, and 4 more are from the original ball golf days. It will take several weeks to get the initial organizing done. I don't yet know the attitudes/desire/expectations of most of the owners. Our first task will be to gather that information so that we can form an association to benefit the lot owners and Highbridge Disc Golf. Indeed whatever benefits the course should benefit the lot owners!

Old 01-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick View Post
I am working to organize a Lot Owners Association. There are basically 12 lot owners. 4 are disc golfers, Roger, John, and his sons make another 4, and 4 more are from the original ball golf days. It will take several weeks to get the initial organizing done. I don't yet know the attitudes/desire/expectations of most of the owners. Our first task will be to gather that information so that we can form an association to benefit the lot owners and Highbridge Disc Golf. Indeed whatever benefits the course should benefit the lot owners!
Why? There are already recorded Covenants, Conveyances, and Restrictions (CCRs) on the properties. John is the head of the ARC (architectural review committee) that approves any changes to the CCRs. However, those deeds for your small parcels were passed on from a land division of the Roger Juaire properties, of which all remaining large parcels are (300+ acres) in the Anne Marie Juaire Trust
Old 01-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Yes, back for good and glad to be back. I also have a Lifetime membership in Charlotte DGC, so hopefully my HHSC membership won't also go to waste.

YES!
Al Quaal will be resurrected and we are planning installation now.
New course development in Forestville.
MiDNR has asked us to resurrect a preliminary layout for Blueberry Ridge.
Still pushing for at least a temp portable course on Gentz's unfinished back 9 bolf course .
Powder Mill has the potential to expand across the river.
And a new Watch it Bend private course is not to far off once I close on some land.
Blueberry Ridge would be an epic course and I'm pretty sure Nate is committed to putting a hole across the river at PM. It looks like he's got it laid out with flags already. Can't wait for the Buck Buchanan memorial tourney when he's done with the redesign. Lots of work to do before then.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Blueberry Ridge would be an epic course and I'm pretty sure Nate is committed to putting a hole across the river at PM. It looks like he's got it laid out with flags already. Can't wait for the Buck Buchanan memorial tourney when he's done with the redesign. Lots of work to do before then.
Yeah Nate is planning on more beautification before hosting a memorial event, although we do recognize that 2019 is the 5 year anniversary so we may push ahead.

I'm also still sitting on my 18 portable pro model Discatcher 28 chain baskets from my private course too. If I don't get moving on something of my own, the plan is to use them either at a temp course, or install them at Powder Mill so it will have two sets of permanent pins on every hole!

Niced: (1)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:50 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 188
Niced 51 Times in 6 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to tick

Quote:
Why? There are already recorded Covenants, Conveyances, and Restrictions (CCRs) on the properties. John is the head of the ARC (architectural review committee) that approves any changes to the CCRs. However, those deeds for your small parcels were passed on from a land division of the Roger Juaire properties, of which all remaining large parcels are (300+ acres) in the Anne Marie Juaire Trust
Where can I get the specifics of the ARC and the CCR's?

Old 01-10-2019, 08:57 PM

Niced 19 Times in 5 Posts
Default Farewell Highbridge Hills

Okay i'll take a turn telling a HBH story. Video here or read on..

https://youtu.be/iw3ezHrXnK4

I want to make it clear that I don't take any pleasure in bad mouthing people. Alas, this is another story about broken dreams.

7-8 years ago, a couple friends and I took a road/camping trip in MN to see how many courses we could hit in a long weekend. It was our first disc golf dedicated trip. The next year we added another friend and another and it quickly became an annual tradition. We dubbed it "DGW" (disc golf weekend). Eventually it would get extended to nearly a week long trip. It became something we looked forward to all year. Planning began not long after the most recent trip was finished.

After DGW2 was spent at Mt. Du Lac, we began hunting for our next destination when we discovered HBH. "300 acres of disc golf" they said. We really had no idea what to expect, but through the excitement and hype we began calling it "disceyland". The Magical Kingdom of Disc Golf. This place. This was a place made for us. The purpose of it's existence was to fulfill our dreams. Someone out there in the middle of WI must share these same dreams!

By this time I had moved out of MN and was traveling the west coast, but that didn't mean I was any less dedicated to our DGW trips. When it came to planning DGW3, my job was to book it with Johnny. And what a job it was. I don't need to go into the details as most of you can relate. Let's just say it wasn't like any booking experience I've had before. After a week of daily cat and mouse and a deposit (the main focus), we settled on the bunkhouse after being promised running water. We showed up in the rain and dark. Instead of our host, we found 3 unidentified residents. I gave Johnny a call. Oh, ..we're sharing this bunkhouse. Okay. The next day we learned Mikey was living there as well. Well that's not what we expected but 'hey let's not let it ruin our fun'. And we didn't. Over the next few days we discovered the beauty and magnificence that HBH had to offer. We discovered night golf that year. Johnny brought us firewood and it became all we needed to survive. We lived on Disc Golf. We grilled. We left happy. But we left with a goal. Planning for DGW4 began before we left the grounds. Next year, we're coming back for Honka!

I tried booking Honka all winter. Johnny said he doesn't book that early and didn't remember who I was. I called every month into early spring. Then I called every 2 weeks. Until one day he finally tells me that he booked it with someone else. Ugh! There's literally nothing more I could have done. It was hard to swallow but it looks like DGW4 will be at the bunkhouse again. Hey maybe it actually has running water this year. I booked my flight from Seattle. This year he actually told us upfront that Abby would be staying in the bunkhouse with us (while on the road to the bunkhouse!). We tend to be a pretty open minded and welcoming group. We got along with Mikey and I'm sure we'll get along with Abby. And we did. Abby was actually a pretty good host. She led us on a night round that we wouldn't have experienced otherwise. By the end of the trip, the drama got the best of the group though. It was more than most of the guys bargained for. We were done with the bunkhouse. We contemplated not coming back. But what about the Honka? We never got to stay in the Honka. What if we could finally experience HBH with our own, unshared quarters? So we made a promise to ourselves. If we were unable to book Honka for DGW5, we were not coming back.

That same year, September came and so did the routine shenanigans. I was getting pretty good at it now and I was determined. Johnny finally committed Honka to us and I happily paid my deposit. We celebrated! I booked my flight from Portland. We diligently planned for what would finally be our dream come true. We even made custom T-Shirts with "Honka" on the front. The week before our booking, I called Johnny just to check on things and make sure were all set. He wouldn't answer my calls. Finally I called him on a friends phone and he picked up immediately. He tells me that he booked a music festival on our weekend!

I think by now you get the idea. I won't go on. There is so much more that won't fit in a forum post. If you want to see how the rest played out that year, and what we did INSTEAD of HBH, you can watch this video. One of the guys in our crew makes a hype video for our DGW trip every year.

"Farewell Highbridge Hills"
https://youtu.be/iw3ezHrXnK4

All in all, we were still able to enjoy ourselves, but it was time to say farewell to HBH for DGW.