Old 03-02-2018, 06:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 239 Times in 150 Posts

My thoughts exactly Brutus. I mean, on a forehand approach shot, how much "run up" do you really need, you should be able to land your front foot right where you need it to (as opposed to a full x-step backhand for example). And taking that step forward to retrieve the mini, that would be all the evidence you need.

But hey thats how the game is played. Call, no second, move on. Sigh.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2018, 06:25 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 736 Times in 397 Posts

Nikko catching flak for the call, and the group not backing him up, are far worse than the actual fault.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:52 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 265 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneva View Post
About the foot fault call, did Wysocki gain any advantage by putting his foot too far behind his mini ?

I know that's not mentionned in the rule book, but I think that's the way everyone should be thinking. I'd be seriously pissed to be called on a foot fault on a drive if I didn't gain any advantage on it.
If it's on a falling putt or a bad jump putt, I'd understand it. By the way, Nikko's straddle putt isn't always perpendicular to the basket...

Just some usual Nikko. At that time, he wasn't playing great and started to check everyone's stance
Your attitude is why it's so hard to make calls on your fellow card mates in this game. If you break the rules and someone calls you on it you'd be "seriously pissed", and that's exactly why nobody makes calls. You try and do the right thing and then people get pissed even though THEY are the ones at fault and then the rest of the round sucks and is uncomfortable.

Nikko was right to make the call and Ricky may very well have been taking more space to get a better angle to the pin. Either way players get an advantage by not having to pay attention to their stance and being able to focus solely on the target.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,773 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneva View Post
About the foot fault call, did Wysocki gain any advantage by putting his foot too far behind his mini ?

I know that's not mentionned in the rule book, but I think that's the way everyone should be thinking. I'd be seriously pissed to be called on a foot fault on a drive if I didn't gain any advantage on it.
If it's on a falling putt or a bad jump putt, I'd understand it. By the way, Nikko's straddle putt isn't always perpendicular to the basket...

Just some usual Nikko. At that time, he wasn't playing great and started to check everyone's stance
I hate this argument. "He didn't 'gain an advantage' so who cares?" You gain an advantage, intentional or not, every time you break a rule.

Simply by not concentrating on his footwork, Ricky is taking an advantage over players who do concentrate on proper footwork/placement. If you think otherwise, I challenge you to go out and throw 10-15 shots without thought of hitting a mark, then repeat it while focusing on hitting a mark and tell me there's no difference in how those throws are executed.

As to your comment about Nikko's straddle stance...you understand that he doesn't have to be "perpendicular" to the basket to be legal, right? There is no mention of "perpendicular" in the stance rules. The rule only states that no supporting point can be closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker...that defines an arc, not a perpendicular line.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 146
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 95 Times in 72 Posts

I guess that McBeth guy must still have it.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-02-2018, 08:42 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 25 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Paul McBeth once said that he would never call Nikko for a time violation, because the more time Nikko takes on a putt, the more likely he is to miss the shot.
This is so savage... if you were Nikko and heard this, how would you not think about it when you were putting?

It reminds me of a joke a couple of us have. When we want to mess with someone, we casually ask what they do with their off-hand when they putt. It is something I never think about, but once you hear it, it is all you can think about when you are lining up a putt. Hilarity ensues.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-02-2018, 08:49 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 70 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosenmatrix View Post
When we want to mess with someone, we casually ask what they do with their off-hand when they putt. It is something I never think about, but once you hear it, it is all you can think about when you are lining up a putt. Hilarity ensues.
and this is exactly why I putt with something (usually a second putter) in my off hand
Old 03-02-2018, 09:02 AM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,149 Times in 917 Posts

One other point about Ricky's foot fault: remember last year that he and Paul McBeth had a spirited "philosophical discussion" about Rickly's (and aoother player's) unmarked disc. If memory serves me correctly, the gist of the debate, per people at the scene, was that Paul thought Ricky should've self-called a penalty, though it would just have been a warning with no actual penalty, and Ricky was basically telling Paul to mind his own business. There have been other rules squabbles between Paul and Ricky, though I can't remember the actual examples right now (getting old svcks).

Point being: Nikko called the foot fault... but Ricky did not self-confirm. IMHO Paul McBeth would have self-confirmed; he's a stickler for the rules and has self-called penalties upon himself before. But Ricky did not, and so sorry to say, I am not surprised by that.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 239 Times in 150 Posts

I find it interesting that post-round penalties can be added even way after handing in the score card (remember the time that Paul self-confessed that he had plaid a hole incorrectly and took the penalty) but FF calls must be made immediately and seconded or in essence they never happened.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:17 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 265 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
One other point about Ricky's foot fault: remember last year that he and Paul McBeth had a spirited "philosophical discussion" about Rickly's (and aoother player's) unmarked disc. If memory serves me correctly, the gist of the debate, per people at the scene, was that Paul thought Ricky should've self-called a penalty, though it would just have been a warning with no actual penalty, and Ricky was basically telling Paul to mind his own business. There have been other rules squabbles between Paul and Ricky, though I can't remember the actual examples right now (getting old svcks).

Point being: Nikko called the foot fault... but Ricky did not self-confirm. IMHO Paul McBeth would have self-confirmed; he's a stickler for the rules and has self-called penalties upon himself before. But Ricky did not, and so sorry to say, I am not surprised by that.
I don't disagree with anything in the spirit of your post, I just want to make mention of the fact that last year you could not call a penalty on yourself.