Old 01-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 413 Times in 328 Posts

Some days simply suck throwing discs. Be it on the course or in the field. It can be weather related (cold, rain, wind), or your body simply isn't feeling it. I'll have days where I know after 10 throws it simply isn't going to happen. Bad grip, no wrist snap, the run up doesn't work, whatever. If any one aspect of your throw is off it can ruin the entire effort.

The best thing to do is tough it out, let your body recover physically and mentally, and then go do it again as soon as possible.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Twmccoy; 01-07-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 121
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts

We all have those rounds where you play that hole and hit a tree on every. single. damn. throw. When it happens as it so often does, I just continue to throw and think about my next throw. It's just disc golf.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:55 PM

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 16 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Probably the time I lost 3 discs during one round... that was special.
I recently lost two discs off one hole. Hole one in fact. They were my first two throws of the day. One landed on the roof of a house that was way right of the fairway. Seriously out of bounds. My next throw landed in a canal/moat that was to the left. Way left. I thought about giving it up after that experience. But what would you be if you didn't try. You have to try, right?
Old 01-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 93
Niced 94 Times in 55 Posts

10/23/16. ECO Tour Championship R1. Already nursing a sore shoulder, I strong armed a drive on the back 9, felt like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket. Pushed on like a dummy because I was trying to hold onto my Top 3 position in the points (trophy, bonus, etc.) R2 my arm was like a wet noodle, managed a mediocre round, but fell out of the Top 3, first no-cash of the year and a winter hiatus. First event back in 2017 I tear a meniscus and here I am recovering from a knee scope. Hoping 2018 is an injury free year.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 155
Niced 362 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahChristopher View Post
We all have those rounds where you play that hole and hit a tree on every. single. damn. throw. When it happens as it so often does, I just continue to throw and think about my next throw. It's just disc golf.
I had that round at Leigh Farm Park in Durham, NC a few years back. It was hole 4, a 637' par 5 that starts with an elevated tee shot down into a tunnel in the woods. I hit trees with my first 7 shots until I was reduced to cursing and just picked up the disc and moved on.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 287
Niced 1,636 Times in 845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahChristopher View Post
The trick is recognizing early on that the only lines you're hitting are headed straight for trees. Then you you can focus on seasoning your new, OS stuff, rather than throwing your go to discs that are already perfectly seasoned to that sweet spot.

There are no bad rounds... only opportunity.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-08-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 64
Niced 96 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
I had that round at Leigh Farm Park in Durham, NC a few years back. It was hole 4, a 637' par 5 that starts with an elevated tee shot down into a tunnel in the woods. I hit trees with my first 7 shots until I was reduced to cursing and just picked up the disc and moved on.
That hole is stupid, the only thing making it justifiable as a par 5 is the utter lack of a real line to shape. I remember playing it and thinking it could be a par 6 and still be tough to par.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 155
Niced 362 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlybakerbest View Post
That hole is stupid, the only thing making it justifiable as a par 5 is the utter lack of a real line to shape. I remember playing it and thinking it could be a par 6 and still be tough to par.
Funny you mention Par 6, the tee sign used to say it was a par 6. You are right about there not being a good line.

That property has some potential but mediocre design. then losing a bunch of land for the apartments , and complete lack of maintenance make it my least favorite course in the area. I don't even go there anymore.

We used to give it a chance a couple times a year thinking "maybe someone finally cut the grass". Since no one ever did, we just quit going.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:04 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 64
Niced 96 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
Funny you mention Par 6, the tee sign used to say it was a par 6. You are right about there not being a good line.

That property has some potential but mediocre design. then losing a bunch of land for the apartments , and complete lack of maintenance make it my least favorite course in the area. I don't even go there anymore.

We used to give it a chance a couple times a year thinking "maybe someone finally cut the grass". Since no one ever did, we just quit going.
So I was right about that (couldn't remember if it was a par six or I thought it should be), I remembered something about a par six, which I had never seen before. I couldn't see why the designers justified the lack of a playable line by assigning a par 6 to a 600 some odd foot hole. Is there any other par 6 in disc or ball golf? This was the only time I had seen it ever.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 137
Niced 256 Times in 116 Posts

- There was that day that I thought I could play above my capability
- There was that day I went out and expected to shoot ___ strokes below par
- There was that day that I went out and expected to play better than yesterday

Turns out all these "bad" days of disc golf were really due to lofty expectations, not bad golf. Go figure...

I did have 1 very negative experience on the course, but that was due to the people I was playing with, not the course, the discs, or my game. It was all mental...