Old 11-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 522 Times in 258 Posts

The zippers are fairly waterproof, but the fabric is water-resistant at best. It will bead & shed water to a point, but eventually get saturated. So really the biggest threat is rain soaking through the fabric, not sneaking through zippers. I'm not really a big fan of zipping it all up, either, just because that encumbers access. Just leaving the putter pocket out but flapping open, and same for the main disc compartment cover, provides a good combination of weather protection vs. access.

Another thing to consider is the umbrella holding side pocket on the Octo. I'm not a big fan of umbrellas, because rain is so often accompanied by wind. However, in calm rainy conditions, the umbrella holder will protect the bag from rainfall. (Although it doesn't cover the bottom of the pack when you set it down in a wet area, which is another benefit of the rain fly.)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-15-2018, 03:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 975 Times in 483 Posts

I play all winter in Oregon drizzle. I MAYBE use my rainfly for 4 rounds.

Octo mostly does fine without it, except in steady heavy rain.

IMODRBETC.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:02 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 25
Niced 140 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
If you don't plan to play in the rain then rainfly is an unnecessary luxury at best. Even in light drizzle, the pocket flaps do a decent job of keeping the discs protected, and a good towel or 2 will help get you through most light weather events.

Here in Montana, the weather can change so fast that I have the rainfly in a side pocket pretty much full time. But, I know it's not like that everywhere.

Just curious, what's your plan for the extra insert? The new Octos come with 1 insert, which I use but it does eat up a lot of storage space in the lower side pocket. I would not want 2 inserts. (But, I also have an insulated tube that holds 2-3 beverage cans, that fits perfectly in the tall side pocket next to a rain jacket. So that kind of takes the place of an extra insert, I suppose.)
That's so funny you say that. Levi called me before he shipped the bag out today to make sure I wanted the second insert and didn't order it by accident.

I got the second one because I like keeping things organized in the bag and the extra insert keeps things separated in those side pockets. I doubt I will be putting discs in there as I rarely bag more than 22 discs (usually in the 18-20 range). Also, I wanted to have more insulation for the multiple chilled beverages I may require during a casual round.

Niced: (3)
Old 11-15-2018, 06:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 975 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeCroisQue View Post
That's so funny you say that. Levi called me before he shipped the bag out today to make sure I wanted the second insert and didn't order it by accident.

I got the second one because I like keeping things organized in the bag and the extra insert keeps things separated in those side pockets. I doubt I will be putting discs in there as I rarely bag more than 22 discs (usually in the 18-20 range). Also, I wanted to have more insulation for the multiple chilled beverages I may require during a casual round.
You're smart.

I have the old Octo, with separate bottle holder/small pocket on one side. And I have an insert in the other.

I don't need more room for discs. I need more spots for other essentials.

Niced: (2)

Old 11-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 25
Niced 140 Times in 82 Posts

Uggh, won't get here until next friday! Did I mention that I also got a toolbox to go with it? Couldnt resist it mainly because I always keep 20 ish discs inside the car besides the ones that are in the bag so it is nice to have something to keep them in. How do you guys like the toolbox?