Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 PM

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

As a person who has played many tournaments large and small my advice would be to not expect to shoot your best, the slower rhythm, new people and tournament atmosphere will probably effect your score (as well as most people's), so just relax and have fun, in my first tournament I finished last in rec and last of the 144 player field but everyone was nice and I picked up a few tips and just kept coming out.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2008, 11:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 241
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

I guess every experience is different. The first tournament I played was also the second time I'd ever thrown real disc golf discs. It was at a new course, walking distance from my house. I saw the notice for the tourney in the homeowners' association newsletter. I was playing from the Rec tees and shot 61 & 54 (par)... and thus I was hooked.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tourn...6#Recreational

It helped that there were a lot of trees, water, and OB on that course, because I think that suited my newbie style of play at the time. While the guys that had been playing a while were x-step'ing and chunking long drives, hitting trees and bouncing all over the place... I wasn't trying to (nor could I) boom any drives. I was just using my catch-and-throw Frisbee form to throw get the first drive straight through the trees, another simple upshot to get close to the basket and then putt in for three on most holes. I had a great time, maybe because I didn't know what I was doing back then.

Don't get all worked up over playing in a tournament. Just play by the rules (you have read them once right?), i.e. mark your lie with a mini, don't flip your disc, etc.. Play your game the same and it shouldn't be that different from your casual rounds.

ERic

P.S. Most of the DNF's in that tourney were from a Boy Scout troup that signed up with the intent to only play the morning round.