Old 11-30-2017, 04:35 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 214 Times in 148 Posts

Thank you guys for the great analysis. My right foot and glute are soe from pumping a hammer. I'm focusing on staying balanced (which is really freaking hard apparently) and countering everything with the disc in a smooth manner. Let me know if this looks any better.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 135 Times in 107 Posts

Opening up too early. Let the arm/disc go out and just stay centered. Trust where your hips/shoulders are aiming and let the swing open you up.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,113 Times in 1,378 Posts

Yeah the best I can describe the difference is you are letting things swing through while swinging. Instead you should feel your body squeeze toward the plant, the arm has to launch open, and the left side kind of springs back for an equal/opposite thing. To me it feels like my left elbow and left heel want to go directly toward the target while my plant/one leg is closed, then my arm has to swing from the forward movement, and my left side recoils and gets pulled around after rather than during the swing.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,179 Times in 1,361 Posts

A little better, but still too bent over/squatty and out of natural rhythm, and somehow still spinning your heel around with too much pressure into the toes. You are sore because you aren't upright enough nor swinging effortlessly enough from the hips. Your pre-swing is still very weak, swing all the way to the finish and then into the backswing. Still can't see your rear foot which may not be setup correctly which is allowing you into the too bent over position. I really think you are over-doing it with the rear arm and throwing yourself out of whack - keep it relaxed by by your side and turn your body to move your arm/disc. Try with your rear foot completely off the ground, just perpetually swinging back and forth effortlessly - don't throw, you should feel like you could do that forever. Watch the SC video, how upright and smooth and effortless it is and where he talks about the front leg femur turning - yours is squatting instead of turning back.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-01-2017, 12:20 AM
Par Member

Niced 104 Times in 54 Posts

Looks better but SW gave a pretty accurate analysis, its close but it does not look natural. To me the move feels like I were to do a standstill 360 on a snowboard. If I were to push harder I can get myself off the ground and spin a 360. That force needs to come from the ground up. Since I am not jumping, that force needs to go somewhere, right?

Old 12-01-2017, 12:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,113 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
Looks better but SW gave a pretty accurate analysis, its close but it does not look natural. To me the move feels like I were to do a standstill 360 on a snowboard. If I were to push harder I can get myself off the ground and spin a 360. That force needs to come from the ground up. Since I am not jumping, that force needs to go somewhere, right?
Heh snowboarding has done nothing but hurt me for disc golf. Trying to keep movements looking smooth rather than on balance for the efficiency, beginning momentum with my arms/shoulders, letting momentum escape through my arms, counter rotation to squeeze out extra rotation.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Eagle Member

Another one leg and a standstill for the first time since doing this drill more properly. One leg, I'm still squatting too much into the back swing and opening the shoulder early, but the pump after transition looks timed better and I'm getting much more balanced.

Walking through an x-step and doing standstill's has shown me how far off my understanding of the front leg. I've had such a hard time with getting knotted up in the lower body and spinning everything out, but the one leg drill shows me how the internal rotation of the front hip feels more like a lateral movement than a twisting motion. Ive been trying so hard to load that all I end up doing is twisting the pelvis around with any leverage. Also, my balance looks better here too. It'll be nice when I can get to a field with this.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,179 Times in 1,361 Posts

Standstill you are still planting the front heel with weight still on the rear foot and it spins out. Rear heel up as front heel down - Ride the Bull.

You are only half way to a Full Pre-Swing! Get stacked up on your front hip. Rear foot needs to be about foot to the left.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 12-01-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Eagle Member

I moved that leg in and started with a pre-swing where I'm pointed right at the target (that really does force you on top of the leg.) I can now feel what slowplastic was talking about with the "squeezing" into the plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Instead you should feel your body squeeze toward the plant
This is only anecdotal, but I played a Nova and Buzzz only round after doing a half hour of one leg throws, and I was getting the buzz close to the same distance I would get with an average thrown teebird. It felt very easy to get the disc to penetrate with speed. I also could immediately tell when I fell into old habits because I'd feel myself stuck on the rear side and tipping over the top. Hopefully I'll have some film tomorrow. I feel pretty dumb for not focusing on the one leg drill more even though SW and SP have both told me to work on it about a million times. Now I know why I wasn't getting anything out of it before; I was set up all wrong.

Niced: (2)

Old 12-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Eagle Member

Still working the one leg drill, and I think I'm edging closer to getting it right. Biggest problem I see is there's too much up and down movement in the hips which is stifling balance/leverage and taking away from overall smoothness. If you looked at the height of my hips as a function of time, it would look more like a sine wave (~) instead of a parabola (U).

Here's a quick x-step as well. The one step is really helping me feel loaded into the plant and balanced in the fallow through. It's still ugly through the transition where I delay the swivel/shift. It knees look jerky instead smooth when they swivel.