Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 11-29-2018, 10:34 AM

Years Playing: 2.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 11 Times in 4 Posts

This is great, the flapping vs lats video really illuminated to me how I was still partially strong arming my throws and not fully making use of my arm as like a pendulum. Focusing on this yesterday helped immensely with throwing putters and mids smoother and farther.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 191 Times in 124 Posts

Now I see what you are talking about with using the lats. I first had to get to where I could feel the muscle activate. About two weeks ago I started to include rowing into my stretch band workouts. Now I can at least put my hand on the muscle and flex it whereas before I couldn't. When throwing today if I had good timing I could feel the lat involved and get the little extra leverage. Like you said, one more part of the kinetic chain.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:42 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 214 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
Some more visuals what I am doing and the caution part afterwards is how I imagine many are trying to swing.
https://youtu.be/OcFCHdQHjVU?t=279
I've been thinking a lot of the shoulder blades and loading to a hallow body and extending to a reverse image (like Proctor below). Fully engaging the core through the entire swing. This kind of came about from doing Arch Hangs, similar to what he's explaining here.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 191 Times in 124 Posts

So does it go without saying that for forehand you should engage or focus on your pecs to bring the upper arm forward and not the shoulders/delts?
Old 12-05-2018, 01:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,184 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
So does it go without saying that for forehand you should engage or focus on your pecs to bring the upper arm forward and not the shoulders/delts?
Maybe at the very end. My upper arm barely moves until release, before that it's locked and loaded with the shoulders. I would say it is mostly weightshift and obliques that bring the torso/arm/disc unit forward together.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-05-2018, 02:34 AM
Par Member

Niced 104 Times in 54 Posts

I belive you can get a pretty good feel for it if you go into a pool and swing underwater. I am not 100% that it works but if it does, cannot wait for SWs speedo sidearm tutorial in the water.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,184 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
I belive you can get a pretty good feel for it if you go into a pool and swing underwater. I am not 100% that it works but if it does, cannot wait for SWs speedo sidearm tutorial in the water.
Yep, done many FH and BH swings in a speedo in the pool, but I've spared the rest of humanity from seeing it on video. Now that I think about it, FH is actually very similar to backstroke(windmill drill backwards/submarine pitch/tennis). Some really old footage of my backstroke in a speedo jammer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqk0q4iYZK0

Most of these concepts carry over and I bet I could teach her an effortless 350' FH real quick:

Niced: (1)
Old 12-05-2018, 05:39 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 37 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
I've been thinking a lot of the shoulder blades and loading to a hallow body ...
I like to extend my right shoulder. It acts as a reminder to keep the connection from upper arm to body. I also think that during the throw this overstretches the back muscles, making them act like a spring. It might also increase the effective length of the upper arm, increasing leverage.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:53 AM
Par Member

Niced 104 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Yep, done many FH and BH swings in a speedo in the pool, but I've spared the rest of humanity from seeing it on video. Now that I think about it, FH is actually very similar to backstroke(windmill drill backwards/submarine pitch/tennis). Some really old footage of my backstroke in a speedo jammer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqk0q4iYZK0

Most of these concepts carry over and I bet I could teach her an effortless 350' FH real quick:
All the swimmers I know throw a country mile. Its not a surprise that many athletes hone their skills in the water. Guess the little bit of resistance you get from the water helps to create a better kinetic chain.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:49 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 271 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for not embedding that, lol.

Quote:

Quote:
All the swimmers I know throw a country mile. Its not a surprise that many athletes hone their skills in the water. Guess the little bit of resistance you get from the water helps to create a better kinetic chain.
Good stuff guys.

Swimmers presumably have better core strength and stability too. Most of us who sit for long periods of day have extremely weak lower abs. Tucking hip under like Chloe does/lower abs engaged during all those drills is no walk in the park for the average Joe.

I'm going to swim tomorrow.