#51  
Old 12-13-2018, 10:39 AM
BuiltTooLong's Avatar
BuiltTooLong BuiltTooLong is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 509
Niced 485 Times in 235 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
I don't care how much he won, Hammock is not a nice person.
Guy is a straight up goon too, but he's won too many titles to leave off this list. I didn't like including him since I didn't really come up watching him, but after some auxiliary research I had to.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-13-2018, 10:42 AM
ShopTom.com's Avatar
ShopTom.com ShopTom.com is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 398
Niced 18 Times in 9 Posts
Default Highest Rated Years

1 P. McBeth 1053 2015
P. McBeth 1052 2017
P. McBeth 1051 2016
P. McBeth 1050 2018
2 R. Wysocki 1050 2017
R. Wysocki 1049 2016
R. Wysocki 1047 2013
3 E. McMahon 1046 2018
P. McBeth 1046 2013
P. McBeth 1046 2014
R. Wysocki 1045 2018
4 N. Locastro 1044 2011
5 W. Schusterick1044 2012
6 K. Climo 1044 2002
W. Schusterick1043 2013
R. Wysocki 1043 2015
7 J. Anthon 1043 2014
8 N. Doss 1042 2011
9 D. Feldberg 1042 2010
R. Wysocki 1042 2014

https://www.pdga.com/players/stats?Y...ting&sort=desc
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-13-2018, 11:02 AM
Brockness Monster's Avatar
Brockness Monster Brockness Monster is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Near Monterey, CA
Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 657
Niced 201 Times in 129 Posts
Default

I'm not sure ratings mean anything unless they are playing on the exact same courses at the exact same time. Courses and disc technology was different in Climo's day then they are now

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-13-2018, 12:31 PM
IHearChains IHearChains is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 161
Posts: 586
Niced 99 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscNinja33 View Post
Exactly. He came onto the scene hot, kept it up for a minute and then slowly faded away
Three USDGC titles in four years is a helluva lot more than "kept it up for a minute" IMO. That is the biggest stage and toughest competitive field the sport has to offer. But I will agree, he didn't stay on top as long as some others listed in the thread.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-13-2018, 12:53 PM
VictorB's Avatar
VictorB VictorB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,392
Niced 697 Times in 362 Posts
Default

The only guys that have won multiple World/US titles stand out above the rest to me. This is the order I weigh them in:

McBeth
Climo
Schultz
Doss
Schusterick
Feldberg
Wysocki
Duval
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-13-2018, 01:00 PM
DiscNinja33's Avatar
DiscNinja33 DiscNinja33 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Michigan
Courses Played: 41
Posts: 135
Niced 217 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHearChains View Post
Three USDGC titles in four years is a helluva lot more than "kept it up for a minute" IMO. That is the biggest stage and toughest competitive field the sport has to offer. But I will agree, he didn't stay on top as long as some others listed in the thread.


I agree the 3/4 is amazingly impressive and I understated his skill/accolades early on. Your last sentence hit on what I should have focused more on. GOAT status would require a longer stay on top, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-13-2018, 01:39 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,030
Niced 2,502 Times in 1,053 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscNinja33 View Post
I agree the 3/4 is amazingly impressive and I understated his skill/accolades early on. Your last sentence hit on what I should have focused more on. GOAT status would require a longer stay on top, IMO.
In that case, I'd argue that Wysocki doesn't really belong in the discussion either. Schusterick got his three USDGC titles in a span of five years (2010, 2012, 2014). Wysocki really only broke through for a Worlds title in 2016. He was battling at the top for a couple years before that (his playoff with McBeth in 2014), so his "peak" has lasted about as long as Schusterick's, at least so far. And of course, neither guy is done.

That's what makes it tricky to have these GOAT discussions about players still in the midst of their careers. We only include guys like McBeth and Wysocki and Schusterick in this discussion because our history is so short, there just aren't enough players to really fill a top 10 all time greats without including still active players like them. Unlike say, MLB, where it would be folly to discuss top 10 lists and include guys like Mike Trout or Clayton Kershaw. Sure, they're on track to be among the best ever, but they can't be compared yet to the full careers of Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron or Ken Griffey Jr.

Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-13-2018, 03:18 PM
IHearChains IHearChains is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 161
Posts: 586
Niced 99 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
ISchusterick got his three USDGC titles in a span of five years (2010, 2012, 2014).
Thanks for the correction. I thought it was 3 in 4 years but the list I was looking at had 2011 unlisted because of the different format.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-13-2018, 04:05 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 233
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,623
Niced 1,169 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHearChains View Post
Thanks for the correction. I thought it was 3 in 4 years but the list I was looking at had 2011 unlisted because of the different format.
When doing my list, I did not put much stock into USDGC titles. They are held on the same course, which lends itself to a particular skill set. Not that it is a bad thing, but it is pretty much the same test year after year. It allows for someone to dominate that tournament...potentially. Kind of like the Masters in golf.

World Championships have traditionally been more rounds on different courses and different sets of venues each year.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #60  
Old 12-13-2018, 04:08 PM
DiscNinja33's Avatar
DiscNinja33 DiscNinja33 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Michigan
Courses Played: 41
Posts: 135
Niced 217 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
In that case, I'd argue that Wysocki doesn't really belong in the discussion either. Schusterick got his three USDGC titles in a span of five years (2010, 2012, 2014). Wysocki really only broke through for a Worlds title in 2016. He was battling at the top for a couple years before that (his playoff with McBeth in 2014), so his "peak" has lasted about as long as Schusterick's, at least so far. And of course, neither guy is done.



That's what makes it tricky to have these GOAT discussions about players still in the midst of their careers. We only include guys like McBeth and Wysocki and Schusterick in this discussion because our history is so short, there just aren't enough players to really fill a top 10 all time greats without including still active players like them. Unlike say, MLB, where it would be folly to discuss top 10 lists and include guys like Mike Trout or Clayton Kershaw. Sure, they're on track to be among the best ever, but they can't be compared yet to the full careers of Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron or Ken Griffey Jr.


I can get on board with that. The only reason I’d say he belongs there is because Wysocki has consistently been a top ten pro, and played like it, since he’s gotten to the level (or close) that he’s at now. He might not always be winning, but he’s near/on the podium. This is really just as a comparison to Will though, because you see Will finishing outside the top 50 at times, and often out of the top 20 at big events.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top 10 rated course list runninlikebarry20 General Disc Golf Chat 30 08-14-2012 02:01 PM
Do you have a top 10 course list? top 20 . . . top 50? harr0140 Disc Golf Courses 130 02-23-2010 08:51 PM
Pro's top 10 list DiscGolfCraig Disc Golf Courses 48 02-19-2010 07:45 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.