Old 09-15-2018, 11:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,098 Times in 1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Re FH: Yeah, I've sort of just feel lost with regard to what do I do for footwork and body positioning for FH. Looks like SW's post solidifies that. I'll think through this anchor and tilt and process again another day when I'm more fresh on how to apply. How is your positioning in relation to SC in his video?
Re FH Distance: Not far. I would guess that these two throws went about 280-maybe 300 with mid and 320 with the driver. I can only expect maybe 20 more feet consistently on a good day. The positive is that it does feel effortless and I never get sore from it.
Yeah that makes sense. When I was shifting "in front" forehand it's all a forward spin/turn/push basically that just gives you some forward speed instead of continual leverage, and I was in that 325ish range with drivers. Having to snap them real hard.

So I did that exact body positioning from the Clement video, stand up and do it while the video is playing. Have something in your hand like a hammer that has weight. Make sure you angle your hips and tilt your spine so you are 50/50 distributed like he says, but oriented differently than just standing "normal". You'll notice your butt is facing targetward a bit, you are closed. When you leverage like this, if you let gravity do some work and anchor with your hips, you should feel that you can keep pulling through that downward arch because your hip position continually gives you more leverage, like the back end of a trebuchet.

Once you've felt that, you can just adjust things up until the plane is closer and closer to flat, although this may be hard to do with something heavy in your hand at indoor safe swing speed...but once you've felt it it makes sense.

As for the footwork, I don't like "walking" forward with right foot left foot steps because that opens my hips forward. I like a sideways crow hop or shuffle step, so that I can always have my hips closed and my butt kind of ahead of me, in balance of course. This gives me some momentum toward the plant but never opens me up from that position.

It's about setting yourself up so you have this leverage/counterweight, and you can continually swing through. You'll probably feel like the beginning of your swing from the backswing feels slower or you're not trying hard yet, but through the hit point you'll notice the disc rockets out more easily because you can keep pulling it through the snap.

For grip I do the parallel stacked grip, just because my fingers are then supporting each other so I don't strain them as bad. Plus I feel in that grip the disc HAS to be aligned flush with the forearm. I don't think that vs. the both fingertips on the inner rim matter for power, just make sure the disc is parallel to forearm when you pinch it. As for thumb I make sure I pinch it hard beginning of the hit/sling. That's how you keep the nose down, it is absolutely crucial to commit to that pinch and sling.

Also, any shot over 300'ish feet I don't feel like I use any more arm, I just have a more committed weight shift.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 01-20-2019, 04:23 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 271 Times in 191 Posts

FH update: Long ways to go but the shuffle has helped. Still working on turning back more without tipping backwards in the backswing / staying leveraged forward but it's borderline useful again, which is nice. So thank you.

Bh: I'm coming to the realization that I need to do the drills that you prescribe if I really want to improve. So, here's a go at kick the can.

In "take 1" I noticed I was rotating open some in an effort to kick towards the right. So I did it again and tried to fix in "take 2" but do you think I'm going outside in enough? I figure probably best to stop there and see what else I'm doing wrong. I realize the left leg kick is terrible. Going through the swing without a ball and thinking about kicking with rear foot seems to really help though for whatever reason. Maybe it takes my mind off of turning back until that leg is settled...

Take 1: https://youtu.be/zDcIeHi3WsI

Take 2: https://youtu.be/txSKKTr_6M0

Thank you much
Old 01-20-2019, 06:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,178 Times in 1,360 Posts

Frame 1 - note my rear foot is turned back and my butt is leading my head with forward spine tilt of shoulders toward knees. Your rear foot is perpendicular and head leading butt over top.

Frame 2 - note how I've exploded off the rear foot so both toes on the ground with heels way up riding the bull. Your heels are flat barely off the ground.

Frame 3 - note the angle of my rear lower leg and foot propping the body upright like a kickstand on front leg for upward trajectory.

Frame 1 - note my right foot is swung back outside/left the rear/left foot, so I have clear access to swing the right foot back forward through without the left foot in the way. You can see your left foot is in the path between your right foot and ball. Note we both have the rear foot perpendicular, however I'm aiming to the right slightly.

Frame 2 - note the difference in the feet and knees. Your heels almost on the ground and knees extended, my knees are flexed and heels are way up so I'm on tippy toes like Michael Jackson.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-20-2019, 09:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,098 Times in 1,372 Posts

I also don't like how your right shoulder is opening just after landing...looks like you're wanting to open the right shoulder rather than landing in balance and letting the catching and clearing of your weight start your rotation.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:08 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Frame 1 - note my rear foot is turned back and my butt is leading my head with forward spine tilt of shoulders toward knees. Your rear foot is perpendicular and head leading butt over top.

Frame 2 - note how I've exploded off the rear foot so both toes on the ground with heels way up riding the bull. Your heels are flat barely off the ground.

Frame 3 - note the angle of my rear lower leg and foot propping the body upright like a kickstand on front leg for upward trajectory.

Frame 1 - note my right foot is swung back outside/left the rear/left foot, so I have clear access to swing the right foot back forward through without the left foot in the way. You can see your left foot is in the path between your right foot and ball. Note we both have the rear foot perpendicular, however I'm aiming to the right slightly.

Frame 2 - note the difference in the feet and knees. Your heels almost on the ground and knees extended, my knees are flexed and heels are way up so I'm on tippy toes like Michael Jackson.

OK, really helpful thank you. I can see and think I can fix swinging right foot more outside and lean over more / spine tilt over knees. Think I can also get on my toes more, which, yes, that makes sense for loading and leveraging forward.

Not sure if I fully get the kick stand leg, flexed legs yet.

I'm sure there's more wrong here. I'm likely leaning too far forward at times now (?) and should I still crush the can? Or just work on trying to flex on toes for this drill?

I wish it were easier to overlay some MJ on this:
https://youtu.be/mGMP8l2uR4c
Old 01-21-2019, 01:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,178 Times in 1,360 Posts

Crush both ways, you want your rear heel down in the backswing/kick to stabilize everything through a solid ankle braced to the ground to transition forward with rear heel going up/forward. Mirrored forward into the plant with front heel down to stabilize everything through your ankle. So your feet should be trading positions of athleticism and stabilizing - pushing the heel/weight up/forward from the toes and dropping the heel/weight forward into the ground on the opposite foot for stabilizing the post of the swing.

Riding the Bull:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0&t=74s

Watch my feet in Slow Motion Drill - heels trading up/down in slow motion using plantar flexion in both feet to shift everything lagged forward out of the transition ground up.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:05 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Crush both ways, you want your rear heel down in the backswing/kick to stabilize everything through a solid ankle braced to the ground to transition forward with rear heel going up/forward. Mirrored forward into the plant with front heel down to stabilize everything through your ankle. So your feet should be trading positions of athleticism and stabilizing - pushing the heel/weight up/forward from the toes and dropping the heel/weight forward into the ground on the opposite foot for stabilizing the post of the swing.

Riding the Bull:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0&t=74s

Watch my feet in Slow Motion Drill - heels trading up/down in slow motion using plantar flexion in both feet to shift everything lagged forward out of the transition ground up.
I gotcha, I gotcha. Good stuff. Riding the bull like that might have to be added to the workout regimen. I can feel the burn after doing that a bit.