Old 01-21-2019, 06:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,151 Times in 1,399 Posts

On your BH I think your hips/pelvis is turning back entirely on the way to putting your weight on the left foot. Like the step is what is turning your pelvis back to the target. Rather than landing and turning back more in leverage/balance on the left foot and continuing this later into the plant. It does look to me like you have good efficiency/leverage on the disc.

In the FH, try some throws around 70% power with a more upright spine. I have found when I get that huge butt lead to that extent with the spine angled back, then spine really angled targetward, I do get power but I'm way more likely to throw the disc in the ground. When I think of more "upright efficient rotation" it feels like it won't be as powerful but I still get the same velocity and more consistency. Still use the lower body to anchor the shot the same way. I found it was easier for me to feel this at lower power and then increase it throw by throw, than to try to throw hard immediately without really tipping the spine.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 190 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
On your BH I think your hips/pelvis is turning back entirely on the way to putting your weight on the left foot. Like the step is what is turning your pelvis back to the target. Rather than landing and turning back more in leverage/balance on the left foot and continuing this later into the plant. It does look to me like you have good efficiency/leverage on the disc.

In the FH, try some throws around 70% power with a more upright spine. I have found when I get that huge butt lead to that extent with the spine angled back, then spine really angled targetward, I do get power but I'm way more likely to throw the disc in the ground. When I think of more "upright efficient rotation" it feels like it won't be as powerful but I still get the same velocity and more consistency. Still use the lower body to anchor the shot the same way. I found it was easier for me to feel this at lower power and then increase it throw by throw, than to try to throw hard immediately without really tipping the spine.
It's interesting, without the step "back" I was getting no hip rotation in that motion, and with it back I'm getting it all pre plant. So maybe next is somewhere in between. As I said I need some more work with the idea, and those three throws weren't particularly good.

For FH I actually have a tendency to nose up/sky them more than anything, but you're right in that for shorter things like touch upshots I stay way more upright so I could try paying attention to that. Sometimes when I stay too upright I get a little too much anny on it however.

I was just going out and throwing hard because it's too cold to throw a lot and get in a rhythm.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,190 Times in 1,372 Posts

Your butt/hips ain't leading your stride or leveraged forward. Your posture collapses/sinks on your rear leg behind your rear foot as you tip or lean back away, instead of loading back while leveraging forward balanced. You do the same thing FH leaning back behind the rear foot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 6.28.54 PM.jpg (22.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 07:28 PM
Eagle Member

The knee thing is once again the issue of turn back hip without turning back foot. But I'm still working through how to lead with the donk...
arg
Old 01-21-2019, 07:33 PM
Eagle Member

Oh I see, Lizotte already has his hips leading and slightly turned away as early as his first plant while his foot is still facing forward. I'm not sure I'm flexible enough for that. I'll have to do some slow walkthroughs of this and see if I can even copy it.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:21 AM
Eagle Member

Hey SW22, if I leverage forward correctly should it feel like I'm falling? I've been contorting my body in weird shapes to try and get that butt lead but it's hard to do it without falling forward or hanging on to something.

Also it seems like a lot of pros kind of "pivot" around that right take off step. Here's a bunch of slow mo gifs of people who aren't Simon the Disc Liberator.

Gibson does the most noticeable "pivot" also I love his off arm action. I mess up every time I try and copy it

Old 01-22-2019, 02:48 PM
Par Member

Niced 105 Times in 55 Posts

Falling is one word for it, I belive more accurate word would be gliding.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:48 PM
Eagle Member

So I went out and tried leaning forward in the beginning of the run up. It seems a little better? But I gotta iron it out before it's worth uploading here.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,190 Times in 1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Hey SW22, if I leverage forward correctly should it feel like I'm falling? I've been contorting my body in weird shapes to try and get that butt lead but it's hard to do it without falling forward or hanging on to something.

Also it seems like a lot of pros kind of "pivot" around that right take off step. Here's a bunch of slow mo gifs of people who aren't Simon the Disc Liberator.

Gibson does the most noticeable "pivot" also I love his off arm action. I mess up every time I try and copy it
Feels like falling targetward leveraged butt first, like RandyC said gliding down forward.

SC - toss, fall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSHqnYNijw&t=116s
CC2 - raised rear foot fall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvujcEMLxs&t=3m18s
DFD3 - dropping into plant/arm slot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agKwNo_5K5c

No linear momentum = free fall:

I'm not sure what you referring to with the "pivot" around the right take off step? I am doing it?

Last edited by sidewinder22; 01-22-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:18 PM
Eagle Member

the "pivot" I'm trying to describe is where the right foot is planted, as the left foot moves forward the hip starts its turn back, and the center of rotation for that turn back appears as the right leg I guess?
You definitely do it, when I try I get caught on my back leg worse than normal.

I got more work to do before I want to post up a new video but here's a quick screenshot of a video not worth posting.

OLD