Old 02-04-2019, 10:08 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 64
Niced 117 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
A pond that is filling with water looks like it is shifting if you only look at one shoreline.

If both 1998 and 2018 represent samples taken from the same underlying distribution with a mean of 910 and a standard deviation of 37,

the maximum rating among the 1,140 Open men in the 1998 sample would be expected to be 1032 and

the maximum rating among the 9,102 Open men in the 2018 sample would be expected to be 1051.

There may be ratings inflation, but not nearly as much as it would appear without taking into account the larger sample size in later years.
Isn't that pretty much what inflation is and why printing more money(giving out more ratings) only worsens it.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 256 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlybakerbest View Post
Isn't that pretty much what inflation is and why printing more money(giving out more ratings) only worsens it.
No. The two things are really not at all similar. Adding more players to the pool does not devalue the rest of the players.

With a much larger sample size, we have more outliers (probably at both ends of the curve-- see, Lloyd Weema, e.g.).
Old 02-04-2019, 10:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 503 Times in 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
No chance.

There won't be enough 1100 rated rounds to balance out the 1020s
Means he has 1020 rated rounds to replace. Lots of room for improvement. It's the reason his rating skyrocketed at the beginning of the 2018 season.

The effect of the grind is Eagle's biggest issue. He seems to get it a little more figured out with each passing year. 2018 was a giant improvement on his 2017. If he takes a similar sized step again this year he absolutely will be the top rated player ever up to this point.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:21 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

nice thread
Old 02-04-2019, 11:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,096 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post

The effect of the grind is Eagle's biggest issue.
...or the fact that the style of courses changes as the year progresses...

Niced: (1)
Old 02-04-2019, 01:59 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
...or the fact that the style of courses changes as the year progresses...
Certainly doesn’t help. The style of courses compounds the issue. I’d wager that if the schedule was in reverse order that Eagle would not have played the same open courses nearly as well. His hypothetical reverse schedule second half 2018 wouldn’t be nearly as good as is first half 2018 was in reality. Dude came into the season absolutely dialed in.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:26 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 162 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Certainly doesn’t help. The style of courses compounds the issue. I’d wager that if the schedule was in reverse order that Eagle would not have played the same open courses nearly as well. His hypothetical reverse schedule second half 2018 wouldn’t be nearly as good as is first half 2018 was in reality. Dude came into the season absolutely dialed in.
Dude was also dialed in on long, open courses, and struggled in the woods. His game is perfect for those types of courses. It just happens to be that most of the early tournaments are not heavily wooded.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,513 Times in 1,056 Posts

Quote:
I'd have to ask why the "grind" affected Eagle more than, say, Paul McBeth? Eagle played 23 total events in 2018, McBeth played 25. Yet Paul was winning tournaments in the middle and late parts of the year (DGLO, Idlewild, Delaware, USDGC, HOFC, etc). Is it down to being more experienced in touring and dealing with the "grind"? What's the magic number of years of experience needed to master the "grind"?

I guess what I'm really saying is what happened to the training he and Simon were doing over in Europe last winter? It certainly got them off on the right foot early but did it not maintain? Or did it maintain just fine and the courses were the primary reason Eagle stopped winning? Granted, he stopped winning but he didn't stop finishing top 10 (Worlds was his only finish outside the top 10 all year).
Old 02-05-2019, 12:16 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I'd have to ask why the "grind" affected Eagle more than, say, Paul McBeth? Eagle played 23 total events in 2018, McBeth played 25. Yet Paul was winning tournaments in the middle and late parts of the year (DGLO, Idlewild, Delaware, USDGC, HOFC, etc). Is it down to being more experienced in touring and dealing with the "grind"? What's the magic number of years of experience needed to master the "grind"?

I guess what I'm really saying is what happened to the training he and Simon were doing over in Europe last winter? It certainly got them off on the right foot early but did it not maintain? Or did it maintain just fine and the courses were the primary reason Eagle stopped winning? Granted, he stopped winning but he didn't stop finishing top 10 (Worlds was his only finish outside the top 10 all year).
Eagle has in the past gotten to the end of the season and been mentally done, and has said so in interviews. In 2017 he skipped the Pro Tour Finale and the Hall of Fame Classic because he wanted his touring season to end.

Even with skipping those two large events at the end of 2017, he played fewer events in 2018 (23) than in 2017 (26). This was by design. Notably, Eagle would go home to CO between tournaments if possible during 2018, and skipped out on several Pro Tour events intentionally to preserve himself for the duration of the season. Most players of his caliber aren't playing a random C tier in their home state in April, which is exactly what Eagle did between Jonesboro and GBO (which he then proceeded to win). He also played no tournaments for a month and a half after Konopiste. Again, by design.

On the open course narrative: Eagle won Beaver State Fling this year. That is no open bomber's paradise. Just saying.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 91
Niced 486 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I'm sure experience, mental fortitude, desire to be great, and killer instincts all helped Paul excel later in the year, but I believe Paul flying to and from events last year helped keep him fresh as well.

What I find interesting is that this year, he's going to be driving on tour again, whereas Sexton is going to be the one flying to and from events. We'll see if perhaps Sexton is sees a bump in success later in the year and Paul gets worn down.

Niced: (1)