Old 02-06-2019, 01:27 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

Real quick, when you say right foot here, you mean my actual right foot, or the foot on the right in the video, meaning my left foot?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2019, 01:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,119 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticsnapsauce View Post
Real quick, when you say right foot here, you mean my actual right foot, or the foot on the right in the video, meaning my left foot?
I don't think I messed any feet up with what I was thinking...I caught one mistake in an edit. I am referring to everything for your actual right and left legs, not perspective of the video.

As you keep feeling this balance and control, try to feel how the backswing is the same balance and control on your left leg, as the forward swing has balance and control on the right leg. So in the backswing you are balanced on the left leg and the right foot lifts up naturally, then in the forward swing you land on the right leg, left leg will leave the ground and counter your right arm swinging the disc to/through the target.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,184 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticsnapsauce View Post
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HI...sYF9xWK9GOCJSy

Here is me doing an assortment of one leg, stand still, and x step movements with my trust dumbbell bar. I have understood the idea that I needed to get over my right leg before I try and throw, but to be honest I didn't really understand where or how I supposed to generate power from getting to that position and then throwing. After watching the GIF from the first post in SW's link there I tried moving my rear leg behind me and then it kind of clicked (at least if this video looks to be on the right track then it clicked).

I was trying to push off my rear leg toes at the last second to rotate everything and then use that to throw. Instead, what should be happening is that I get onto my right leg, and then the throw is powered by sheer magic lol. TBH I still don't know entirely what powers the throw but I have been x stepping around my room some more, and after I plant my weight and balance on my right leg, I bring my arm through and it feels like there is a ridiculous amount of force just magically propelling my arm. I know that as I brace the force stops and then has to be redirected somewhere and that I am trying to guide that momentum into my arm ( and rear leg as a counter-balance?) but as far as translating that idea to actual movement, My brain doesn't feel like that will be powerful. But holy damn there is force there, and it feels like straight black magic.

Or I'm completely off the mark again and I need to keep working at this. Let me know what you see
Yes, exactly it only feels like there is no power to be had at first, but Trust the Force Luke! Heavy Momentum, effortless force. Keep your front shoulder closed when you start extending the lower arm, and leverage/extend the swing forward from the rear side swimming back behind you and blocking the body into the brace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyD1ynQrh4&t=3m25s

Niced: (1)
Old 02-06-2019, 12:40 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

Alright so I went out and played a round trying to throw with this new feeling, and I like the results. I still have about the same distance, maybe a bit less, but when I can get the weight shift right it feels like a lot less effort.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ar...9SIDxZxDK8X8R3

Here is me at the end of the round. I am still fighting muscle memory a little bit and I am definitely still exaggerating the back leg counterweight, but so far doing this helps me get off of that leg and so I'm going to slowly reign that in as time goes on.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M0...N2nblyvbCILdQM

Let me know if this is looking better than my throws from before, and as always whatever else you guys see.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,119 Times in 1,383 Posts

Yeah much better feel.

Now focus on getting to the front leg in balance. In the behind view you can see that you are still too far to the right side of the teepad and positioning your body behind the right foot's heel, rather than striding in balance with your legs and feet underneath you so that you can land in balance. This is also why your plant foot's toes lift up and the foot rotates very early into the throw, because your weight is behind its heel.

As well in the side view I can see that you're still thinking that you need to move your torso and upper body forward. Focus on landing closed with your butt/pelvis/hips on the plant leg in balance, and you WILL end up rotating to throw. Just don't push the upper body targetward. This is a hard thing to get rid of the feel and intention of doing, especially since your prior throwing instincts were to push the upper body into rotation from the left leg.

But you are getting off the left leg way sooner and using it to counterweight...just going to be practice and optimization for a little bit, but definitely focus on getting onto the front leg with the spine and body balance.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 191 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Yeah that's the right idea...the spine is balanced on the plant leg. So the right arm is on one side of the spine, and the left leg is on the other. The left leg can counterweight your right arm opening up...so that you can CONTINUALLY swing the arm and disc through the hit point...big acceleration when it matters. Rather than pushing off the left foot as you plant which is well before the disc's release, so you have maxed out your speed well before it counts.

So you're emphasizing the left leg counter of the pendulum a lot, both the right arm and left leg are moving laterally toward the target on opposite sides of your spine/the plant. This is good to feel the balance being maintained and make sure that you can really feel what's going on. In the swing, when you rise on the right leg slightly to clear the hips back that will start to open the torso forward...when the left foot leaves the ground it will move forward toward the plant leg and slightly behind it but not so much behind it like you are doing now. Basically LET the rotation/opening happen of the torso, but don't push or try to force it open...also don't over-counter the left leg to keep everything super sideways. Well some pro's like Dave Wiggins are really really closed and have massive power, but I don't really understand how he does that so perfectly.

Lots of your swings around the 1:40 area, you are keeping weight on the left foot still...no good. Just let yourself land and be 100% in balance on the right leg, you WILL rotate even with the left leg off the ground. Got to stop trying to push off the left leg to swing/accelerate. Notice in your swing from 1:53-1:55 how your left foot's heel lifts up, then the toes leave the ground, then the foot moves slightly behind your body...this is closer to what should happen. This swing isn't in balance right because you're kind of throwing your torso over your right foot, rather than letting your balance land from the butt/spine on the right leg...but I like that you let your left foot leave the ground more naturally rather than really trying to push from it. Comparatively, in pretty much all of these swings look at how your right foot is lifting off the ground in the backswing. You probably aren't thinking about it and just letting it do what it wants to do in natural tempo...apply the same non-thought in the forward swing and just let things move and stay in balance.

I tried this out on the patio and was amazed. I had to try it out on the field before it got dark. This is so cool. Just clear your mind and like SW said Trust the Force. The standstills were just like falling into the plant and the rotation starts and the disc flies. My x-steps went farther than before but I'll need to work on the balance. This really brings things together for me.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-06-2019, 07:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah those are looking better. You are still stepping the left foot in the way of your stride causing balance issues.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 191 Times in 124 Posts

I knew I had felt this sensation before. Following Crush the Can! Part 2.1 I was using a piece of 2x4 placed under my rear foot like here: https://youtu.be/BuvujcEMLxs?t=198. I knew it was powerful, I just didn't know how to bring it into the throw. SW, you sure pack a lot into your videos.

I'm taking that 2x4 out with me to the field next time.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
I knew I had felt this sensation before. Following Crush the Can! Part 2.1 I was using a piece of 2x4 placed under my rear foot like here: https://youtu.be/BuvujcEMLxs?t=198. I knew it was powerful, I just didn't know how to bring it into the throw. SW, you sure pack a lot into your videos.

I'm taking that 2x4 out with me to the field next time.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

No video today. I just wanted to thank both Sidewinder and Slowplastic, as well as all the others for what you guys do. I just went out to my local course and shot -3. I have only ever gotten below par once and that was a -1. After changing my shot around in this new way of really ACTUALLY getting over my right leg, the change is night and day. I still haven't gone out to a field and gone for raw distance, but I can now hit just about any line I want no problem. It was astounding. On my home course there is a hole that has a small tree gap that you have to hit, and this hole has been my nemesis for so long. Now that I have thrown enough for my brain to adjust to the new form, I walked up the teepad and the gap actually looked easy to me. I threw great too, but the feeling of hitting a gap like that no longer being a dice roll is just amazing. I will keep posting videos because I still haven't really pushed out my distance and I can always improve, but I'm definitely getting very used to this new way of throwing.

Thanks again guys.