Old 02-07-2019, 09:45 PM
Par Member

Niced 95 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I was fired by Steve live on the air and I will be still watching. hahah
You guys handled that a million times better than I could have. Doing that live on your show was a total dick move imo. The fact that you're not holding a grudge is amazing but I'm still going to hold one on your behalf.
Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2019, 09:48 PM
Par Member

Niced 95 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan44 View Post
But Dodge is taking a HUGE risk with this direction.
I think people aren't talking about the tournament directors enough here. These aren't Dodge's tournaments. If the coverage is sub standard and the turn out of pros is sub standard there is nothing stopping the TDs from withdrawing from the DGPT and asking Jomez/CCDG to come film their A tier.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 443 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
You guys handled that a million times better than I could have. Doing that live on your show was a total dick move imo. The fact that you're not holding a grudge is amazing but I'm still going to hold one on your behalf.
I've always wondered how that actually played out.

Here is how I think it went down... Steve delivered the news to JV and Terry the weekend before the broadcast. He asked them to keep quiet because DGPT wasn't ready to release their full media plans. JV and Terry declined and said they would talk about it on Smashboxx the following Tueday. Steve then asked if he could come on as a guest and make the announcement and explain his reasoning behind the decision. Everything blew up after that.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-07-2019, 11:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.3
Courses Played: 1
Niced 78 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
I think people aren't talking about the tournament directors enough here. These aren't Dodge's tournaments. If the coverage is sub standard and the turn out of pros is sub standard there is nothing stopping the TDs from withdrawing from the DGPT and asking Jomez/CCDG to come film their A tier.
Exactly. Who knows what kind of contract and commitment length Steve Dodge had the various tournament directors sign up for, but I’m all for TDs telling Steve to piss off and find a loop hole and get their tournament off of the DGPT schedule.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 136 Times in 68 Posts

People who are comparing the DGPT media change to a sport simply moving from one channel to another are referencing an outdated model and one that’s never applied to DG.. Seeing as people were donating to Jomez’s success through Paetron contributions and merch purchases, it makes sense that these people may have a preference for their coverage if not also an investment in their continued success.

A large degree of Jomez’s success is surely due to access to top-level cards/tournaments, but both CCDG and Jomez facilitate a sense of community that goes beyond a traditional provider-consumer relationship. Both are now banking on their own content creations (Champs v Chumps, Final 9s, etc.) to contribute more to their bottom line. It’s likely that DGPT will do fine with its new media model and the big players (Jomez, CCDG) in disc golf media will succeed with their own original content and their “alternative” tournament coverage. That they will be able to do so speaks to the value of their “brand” unattached to DGPT access.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-08-2019, 02:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,185 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
About turning off the commentary... Hell I've suffered through numerous Avery videos so my bar isnt all that high lol
Steve Dodge voice/commentary is the worst bar none, I have to mute that.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:17 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 93 Times in 53 Posts

There are other excellent commentators out there besides BigSexy. I can't remember if it was a Ccdg or Jomez production but I was really impressed by Matt Dollar and his color commentary from the tourney he did last season. I'm sure someone on here remembers which event it was. He was thoughtful, smooth and informative in his coverage. BigSexy is a great team but I am willing to give some other guys a shot on the upcoming DGPT coverage especially if they get a few guys like Dollar.

Niced: (3)
Old 02-08-2019, 07:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,098 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
Steve Dodge is the Maple Hill/Vibram Open guy, right? Does anyone know who did the DVDs in years past before YouTube took over dg coverage in general?

I haven’t watched my DVDs in a while, but at the time, they were the best coverage available, imo. So if they were done in house, then there’s already some experience there.

Thoughts?
IIRC they were done in house for the most part. Prior to moving back to Maple Hill Dodge was in the DVD reproduction business (with our own dear banned Vegan Ray). I believe for those DVD's they were primarily relying on novice camera people and just trying to generate a lot of footage to edit from.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:21 AM

Niced 57 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
This is why I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet. Let's see how it plays out and if the coverage is good or bad, people will respond accordingly. Too soon to tell whether it was a good or bad decision.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Big Country

Years Playing: 27.8
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 184 Times in 104 Posts

Any way you slice it, I don't think we are looking at some monumental sea change in the disc golf environment. There are very few of us who follow the sport seriously enough to get on these boards and comment. Hell, I rarely even followed the pro tour last season because I was too busy on my own real world stuff and just getting out to the course and having fun. Diversifying media, especially in this modern age, can easily bring more people watching, but I just feel the same as I did five years ago in that, for the most part, it will still be disc golfers watching disc golf. if Jomez and/or Central Coast were bringing in any real number of casual viewers, Dodge would have kept them on board.