Old 02-08-2019, 08:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,180 Times in 1,362 Posts

Better on those, you can see a difference in your rear foot not spinning back as far. I think you need more forward tilt coming through, so your shoulder should be more over the toes rather than the heel. Try chasing the left shoulder down the line and walk out the finish like Lee Travino, like I do in the first hammer toss of the hammer toss vid. This will probably feel over the top to you, as you are staying braced too far behind.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2019, 01:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,114 Times in 1,379 Posts

That makes me feel like my sternum gets opened up almost over my toes or outer edge of foot, while my rear leg smashes closed behind me. Feels like Wiggins style how his legs end up and his body gets pulled forward but it's certainly not a tip or collapse. The Lizotte plant arc also just happens naturally if I walk through a slow X-step.

I'll play around with it a bit and then get some more feedback. This feels like so much more BH leverage than I've ever felt, and my body is naturally getting into positions that I haven't had but is common in pro video. I think I'm getting close?

Niced: (1)
Old 02-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Par Member

Niced 104 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Oh. I think I feel the active hit point...

Duh...same mechanics as forehand and I know I've been told. Just it's easier for me to get shoulder/elbow in front in FH. Suddenly I feel the disc pull through. I feel like I can have my arm straight out in front of my chest and just pop the disc and it would go 150'+ so easily, just like I can pop my wrist and forearm and get a FH shot out like that.

First two swings are how my shoulder/arm/hit has been. The rest are me experimenting with getting the shoulder in front of the hip and the disc has way more power behind it. Obviously I'm keeping it REALLY reigned in so I don't obliterate something.

https://vimeo.com/316218640^^^^LINK

So twohanded swing the lowpoint is right below your sternum but with a one handed disc golf swing the lowpoint is bit ahead of your front knee? (Shoulder over front hip).
Old 02-09-2019, 11:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
So twohanded swing the lowpoint is right below your sternum but with a one handed disc golf swing the lowpoint is bit ahead of your front knee? (Shoulder over front hip).
Like when I start feeling the forward motion/leverage/outward arc happening? I think that feels about right.

Two handed baseball swing feels like the arc starts just inside of the knee. With the long lever and considering the goal is ball contact, contact is still made near or past the front foot.

With this one handed/disc golf swing the outward arc feels like it begins outside the front knee. Another case of my reference point being baseball and golf, and one handed swing being surprisingly more forward.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Par Member

Niced 104 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Like when I start feeling the forward motion/leverage/outward arc happening? I think that feels about right.

Two handed baseball swing feels like the arc starts just inside of the knee. With the long lever and considering the goal is ball contact, contact is still made near or past the front foot.

With this one handed/disc golf swing the outward arc feels like it begins outside the front knee. Another case of my reference point being baseball and golf, and one handed swing being surprisingly more forward.
I mean if you were to downswing like in golf, like where the club bottoms out.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:58 PM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
If you are talking about the lowest point of the clubhead, it varies some depending on club and other stuff, but generally under the front shoulder. With irons you hit the ball before the low-point because you want a descending angle of attack, with driver you want to be more level. But the hands and the front shoulder should be moving up and around while the clubhead is going down and out before impact.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Yeah I think that’s the same thing from what it feels like for me. The beginning of the outward arc feel would also be when the bottom of a golf club arc happens. Does that sound right to you?

While with a baseball bat contact is often in front of the front leg....the ball is also often pulled like 30 degrees whereas in golf the ball is contacted near to but inside the front foot and hit straight. But the swings feel pretty similar.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Closer. I think I'm still not far enough forward before I plant. Looking at these swings I can see I end up in the follow through getting pulled forward a little bit more compared to where I start vs. being perfectly on the same balance.

When I try to be like 2" farther forward with my torso I feel like my right ribcage is pinned. I think that sounds right?

Is my back foot motion ok leaving the ground? I realize I'm in socks.

This is the best form and feel I've had though, I'm excited what this way farther forward disc ejection will do for me. I can just try different swim moves, which is the 2nd half of this video. First 2 side and 2 behind swings, then back arm mimicking Lizotte beside thigh, Jenkins swimming behind, classic forward of rear thigh, and Swedish Gurthie style although mine is more of a windmill than a chop. Made me feel like Oakley haha. Any feedback on what is good/bad and if it's useful to learn from these different feels. It's never been so natural to try to incorporate them before though.

https://vimeo.com/316473719^^^^^LINK
Old 02-11-2019, 01:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,180 Times in 1,362 Posts

Yeah, you are getting closer to being forward balanced on the front leg. Socks on carpet - eh, socks on hardwood - no bueno. You seem to restrict your backswing, let your head turn back and arm/disc really extend out away from you more relaxed. Your plane looks a lot better than it used to. Your rear arm is going behind your body/back and dragging, instead of the rear arm helping the throw or being out of the way.

Watch how my shoulder swings over the front foot before releasing the lower arm. Practice just standing naturally relaxed on the front leg addressed to the target holding your whole arm extended out with thumb pointed at target for like a minute, if your arm gets tired let your whole body/arm swing taut back and forth right back pointed at target.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 02-11-2019 at 01:26 AM.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:16 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 424 Times in 165 Posts

I agree that socks on wood is going to make it impossible to wait long enough, as your foot should be sliding forward.

https://youtu.be/qZnkKpsyRzM?t=35

As it's ski season, I have been skiing a ton backwards to keep an eye on my kids and that's where it clicked so hard that skiing backwards into a hockey stop is a perfect likeness for the pressure and back leg shift... BUT I alpine ski (where the heels are locked down), and if I had to telemark ski (where the heels are free) - then it would be an even better correlation.

Thinking about it like that, you can see why it's important to be connected to the floor in a way that has real friction, otherwise you can't resist enough to get your back leg to end up here in that posture of being forward enough:

The resistance and lagged momentum on my plant foot feels like I'm having the ball of my foot want to rip out the right side of my shoe.

As for the off arm, maybe I am crazy, but I swear to you - I'm using my off arm only to reinforce the angle of my upper body - by keeping hand on the thigh (jarvis style) and trying to wait... wait... wait... to get the trailing knee under by hip with the disc at center chest. I DO NOT WANT MY SHOULDERS OPEN AT THAT POINT! So any off arm action or head looking at the target action is counter to what I am trying to build. I'd much rather have my head lagging the shoulders than vice versus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture3.jpg (12.1 KB, 58 views)