Old 02-12-2019, 12:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 934 Times in 448 Posts

I have a Shimmer Star Destroyer that molded up great and flies nicely OS.

The plastic feels good in hand, like it's denser than regular star.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2019, 12:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 548 Times in 432 Posts

I've thrown 2 shimmer star discs, a Mystere and a Tern. The Mystere was a little flat and gummy. I also didn't think it glided as well as it could have. The Tern was a domey, perfect bomber and the plastic was stiffer.

I feel like shimmer plastic dings/beats easily. It doesn't seem durable. I guess I've had mixed results with it. I liked the Tern a lot, but not so much the Mystere.

I'd like to try more shimmer discs before I come to a hard conclusion on the plastic.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 548 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
The only disc I have in Shimmer Star is a CFR Mystere, and it svcks. The plastic doesn't feel very good (too close to GStar for my liking), and the disc flew like lukewarm garbage.

Lest you say it's the archer and not the arrow, my regular Star Mysteres fly very well for me.

So yes, it's more HSS than regular Star (all else being equal, such as PLH), and I avoid Shimmer Star plastic. YMMV
Agree. I liked the regular star Mystere a lot more than the shimmer star. More dome, stiffer plastic, and much better glide.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:47 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 90 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I've thrown 2...
I'd like to try more shimmer discs before I come to a hard conclusion on the plastic.
This is a much more reasonable assessment of shimmer star. 1 or 2 discs is way too small a sample size to draw a real conclusion about.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 53
Niced 137 Times in 75 Posts

My turn to get bashed I guess but I have only tried one shimmer star disc and it was enough to not try another unless they make some changes. Honestly my biggest problem is the color selection. It is like old discraft ti where all you can get is earth tones. My home course is half tall weeds and half fallen leaves so I need bright discs and shimmer star, despite the name, doesn't cut it.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-12-2019, 09:53 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 90 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
My turn to get bashed I guess but I have only tried one shimmer star disc and it was enough to not try another unless they make some changes. Honestly my biggest problem is the color selection. It is like old discraft ti where all you can get is earth tones. My home course is half tall weeds and half fallen leaves so I need bright discs and shimmer star, despite the name, doesn't cut it.
There is a huge difference between your post and the one claiming that shimmer star sucks. It’s reasobable to say that you tried it and hated it and don’t want to try it anymore. It’s not reasonable to then claim that every disc ever molded in shimmer star sucks based on a sample size of one.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 48
Niced 694 Times in 484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
The only disc I have in Shimmer Star is a CFR Mystere, and it svcks. The plastic doesn't feel very good (too close to GStar for my liking), and the disc flew like lukewarm garbage.
I agree with the flight part. Worst driver I've ever bought. Disagree on feel. It feels just great.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:02 AM

Niced 29 Times in 11 Posts

I have a shimmer star destroyer. I was throwing it against some 3 lines, flat top bottom stamp from the same time, and some embossed 4x McBs. Flew like the 4Xs in the limited throws I had with it.

I really like the 12x KJ swirlys and wanted to get his tour disc this year, but the colors... ugh. They seem like they would be impossible to find on an errant drive. Flight reports might entice me though.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 184 Times in 84 Posts

I have a 168 pop-top Shimmer Star Destroyer and it is ridiculously OS. Honestly as OS or more than any embossed pop-top 175 4x's I've thrown.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 166 Times in 105 Posts

Some plastics suit certain molds better. Reminds me of how those older Thunderbirds in star plastic were super beefy and glide-less, that everyone opted for the champion version instead because it was more workable.

Seems like KJ likes his Teebirds to start off more stable i'm assuming?