Old 02-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 320 Times in 173 Posts

Although maybe it is a good thing that tourney/elite pro is gone, I lick my fingers a lot and that chalky crap was probably pretty bad for me.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 02-13-2019, 08:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 33.8
Courses Played: 245
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 63 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
OK, so...7X was the first year of the KC Pro series. Not all of the discs were run i.e. there was no 7X Roc, no 7X or 8X Aviar, etc. Gazelles, Vipers, Ravens, maybe Cheetahs? I forget which discs were run that first year. I started seeing them in early '97. The year before there was a Special Edition Gazelle that had a plastic that felt kinda-sorta like what became KC Pro Roc/Aviar plastic, but the 7X Gazelle was what we now call Pro plastic. They were beefier out of the box than a DX Gazelle. I threw DX Gazelles but when the KC Pro drivers came out I switched to KC Pro Cheetahs; the Gazelles were a bit too overstable for me.

Like every other disc made in the 90's, any actual value it had was wiped out by CE.
If I remember the Gazelles correctly...

First generation Gazelles became the Cheetah,
The second generation Gazelles were Cheetahs but with a bead (making them more stable then Cheetahs)

The third generation Gazelles, a very different wing then previous molds (current mold I am guessing, have not looked at a new one in many, many, many, many years) are much more stable then the second.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:39 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 149
Niced 1,328 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Although maybe it is a good thing that tourney/elite pro is gone, I lick my fingers a lot and that chalky crap was probably pretty bad for me.
We called it "Cyclone dust." It didn't matter what Tourney Pro disc it was on, we always just called it Cyclone dust. We also called Tournament Pro plastic "Cyclone plastic." When I started selling discs I had many a conversation with a confused Discraft employee trying to decipher what the Hell it was that I was talking about.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:11 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova63 View Post
If I remember the Gazelles correctly...

First generation Gazelles became the Cheetah,
The second generation Gazelles were Cheetahs but with a bead (making them more stable then Cheetahs)

The third generation Gazelles, a very different wing then previous molds (current mold I am guessing, have not looked at a new one in many, many, many, many years) are much more stable then the second.
I've been around a long time and heard many a rumor about a lot of things, but that's the first time I've ever heard anything about the Cheetah being the first gen Gazelle.

The Cheetah also was retooled about the time the KC Pro discs came out. I have both types. I can't tell what they changed.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Actually thinking about this made me remember an off topic story. I had a blue throwback USDGC Roc that I really liked as a thrower. I think that was 2006? At any rate whenever I licked my fingers after holding that disc it tasted just terrible, like the chemicals were leaching out of the disc.

One day I was playing and it happened to taste particularly horrible. I couldn’t believe how bad it was. Then I remembered I had played Basset Creek the day before, which has fields and fields of goose poop. Apparently I now know exactly what goose poop tastes like.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:21 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 543 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
It's too bad about the Cyclone mold. I love that driver in Tournament Pro. Something about X plastic killed off some distance out of it. In Pro D it's a flippy little bugger. In Z it flew like a Viper. The ESP discs were better but still the fade is wonky and they are not as long as the Tournament Pro's. It just never was the same disc when they got rid of Tournament Pro plastic, but when they made them in that plastic they were money.

Well Old stiff Pro D of the early 2000's prior to mid 2005 had almost the same flight from what I could see, remembering what I saw an uncles Tournament Pro throw like. It was the newer Pro D that the disc became truly flippy and had a flex on the dome that was not really in the other plastics at the time. In Elite X the Disc was not bad though it had a tad more end flight OS that stopped the flight of the disc. I never saw how the Elite Z Cyclone flew as it was discontinued early on. ESP was odd Especially with the garbage ESP of mid to late 2007 that was a mistake the led to ESP FLX for it short duration. The ESP that was flexible had its flaw of the disc wobbling even with a clean release as if the disc was warped and that seemed to cut down on distance potential. Most discs with a few expectations in the Flexible ESP or ESP FLX had a wobble to the flight a bit more noticeable in the bad flexible ESP.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:29 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 543 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
I've been around a long time and heard many a rumor about a lot of things, but that's the first time I've ever heard anything about the Cheetah being the first gen Gazelle.

The Cheetah also was retooled about the time the KC Pro discs came out. I have both types. I can't tell what they changed.
And one of the Leopard molds X or L was modified to be the new Cheetah mold that later got a X or L version as well. It was never re tooled just a modification on a new mold.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:11 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
And one of the Leopard molds X or L was modified to be the new Cheetah mold that later got a X or L version as well. It was never re tooled just a modification on a new mold.
The Cheetah retool I was talking about is actually on the approved disc list and has an '98 date. Leopard came out in '99 and had nothing to do with it.

If I sit and stare at a '95 Cheetah, then run my fingers over it, then go back to staring at an 8X KC Pro Cheetah, then run my fingers over it, then go back to staring at the '95 Cheetah some more, lather, rinse, repeat, after about 45 minutes I can convince myself that they took some of the concave out of the wing.

There was also a SE Cheetah that I have been told was the Cheetah X mold. I have one. I didn't have 45 more minutes to ponder what the difference is, 'cause I could never tell that either.

The SE Cheetah also predates the Leopard, BTW.

Remember when X and L mold terminology first showed up and there was a huge % of disc golfers who swore the "L" stood for "Leopard" wing; like how Innova came up with a less stable version of anything was just to willy-nilly slap the Leopard wing on the mold? Good times.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:

Remember when X and L mold terminology first showed up and there was a huge % of disc golfers who swore the "L" stood for "Leopard" wing; like how Innova came up with a less stable version of anything was just to willy-nilly slap the Leopard wing on the mold? Good times.
Hahaha, yes that was me. I thought the TL has a teebird top and leopard bottom. Pretty hilarious.

Of course the Innova line about the L being “long” was equally ridiculous, as most power throwers could flex an X mold further than an L mold any day.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:35 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,544 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Hahaha, yes that was me. I thought the TL has a teebird top and leopard bottom. Pretty hilarious.

Of course the Innova line about the L being “long” was equally ridiculous, as most power throwers could flex an X mold further than an L mold any day.
Innova called the L "long" like Discraft uses "SS" (super straight) for understable versions of popular names. As Shakespeare wrote: "What's in a name?"...