#151  
Old 10-11-2018, 02:30 PM
Bradley Walker Bradley Walker is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 384
Niced 359 Times in 138 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Had some fun with this today at the field. I don't know am I doing this right, but it atleast feels like the thing I've been missing from my throw from the day I started throwing plastic. In ball golf I always had a feeling that when I hit the ball really hard, the energy I put into the hit transfers to ball with relatively good %. In disc golf 90% of that energy just seems to disappear up untill this session.

Took a stack of putters, decided to forget everything I think I know about throwing and only focus on keeping my shoulder closed and arc infront of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__PDauojchY

It felt like I suddenly started to hit my "opponent" (disc) with a baseball bat instead of a feather duster and those putters went 260ft with no follow through, no xstep, no nothing... Is this the right feeling, excecution? All advice welcome.
YES!!!!!

Money!!!

Stretch it out BIGGG!!! LOOKK!!! Look at your front pivot leg!! Just perfect. The arc creates a perfect plant leg rotation, not the other way around.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 10-11-2018, 03:04 PM
Lumberjack504's Avatar
Lumberjack504 Lumberjack504 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 347
Niced 118 Times in 82 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Had some fun with this today at the field. I don't know am I doing this right, but it atleast feels like the thing I've been missing from my throw from the day I started throwing plastic. In ball golf I always had a feeling that when I hit the ball really hard, the energy I put into the hit transfers to ball with relatively good %. In disc golf 90% of that energy just seems to disappear up untill this session.

Took a stack of putters, decided to forget everything I think I know about throwing and only focus on keeping my shoulder closed and arc infront of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__PDauojchY

It felt like I suddenly started to hit my "opponent" (disc) with a baseball bat instead of a feather duster and those putters went 260ft with no follow through, no xstep, no nothing... Is this the right feeling, excecution? All advice welcome.
Very nice! There was like zero wobble on that disc... clean!

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 10-12-2018, 05:03 AM
Discusted Discusted is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 135
Niced 20 Times in 11 Posts
Default

What exactly is the method to creating this big arc. I thought I had it, but really I was just doing a wide rail into my normal arc. I understand what we are trying to achieve as well but I don't know if my execution is on. What's the best way to just doing it? So we need to keep lower arm pointed left of target. So does this mean from reachback, we pull the elbow joint to 10:30. The line between reachback and 10:30 seems like it'd hit your left pec unless you stagger your back foot back a bit. Is that how it's supposed to feel? That'd you pull into and collide with the left side of your left arm if you weren't standing staggered? So combine this with a wide rail type reachback, you reach away from your body, now you rotate the body which rotates the locked shoulder, which rotates your elbow joint. Now your lower arm starts to bend from reachback onwards. And it bends to put the Disc near your left arm and somewhat inside your body? Then you crush the can, and continue rotating, back foot coming off the ground, you now consciously think? Elbow left of target and try to point that way?
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 10-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Bradley Walker Bradley Walker is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 384
Niced 359 Times in 138 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusted View Post
What exactly is the method to creating this big arc. I thought I had it, but really I was just doing a wide rail into my normal arc. I understand what we are trying to achieve as well but I don't know if my execution is on. What's the best way to just doing it? So we need to keep lower arm pointed left of target. So does this mean from reachback, we pull the elbow joint to 10:30. The line between reachback and 10:30 seems like it'd hit your left pec unless you stagger your back foot back a bit. Is that how it's supposed to feel? That'd you pull into and collide with the left side of your left arm if you weren't standing staggered? So combine this with a wide rail type reachback, you reach away from your body, now you rotate the body which rotates the locked shoulder, which rotates your elbow joint. Now your lower arm starts to bend from reachback onwards. And it bends to put the Disc near your left arm and somewhat inside your body? Then you crush the can, and continue rotating, back foot coming off the ground, you now consciously think? Elbow left of target and try to point that way?
You are trying to learn something new while applying seven other concepts. I suggest you put the disc down. And swing both arms over your right hip. Just stand on your lead leg, and swing wide as you can swing them, to start. Slow back and forth in a wide arc, then make the swing in faster with your lead arm... Faster, faster, release the angle through the 10 o'clock. You will see your elbow collapse from lag as you rotate quickly forward.


That is all the reach back is really, is a setup to swing in a wide arc around your lead hip joint that starts with a lag force that bends the elbow.


That is all it has ever been... All this time.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 10-13-2018, 04:32 PM
Peder Peder is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 7
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Had some fun with this today at the field. I don't know am I doing this right, but it atleast feels like the thing I've been missing from my throw from the day I started throwing plastic. In ball golf I always had a feeling that when I hit the ball really hard, the energy I put into the hit transfers to ball with relatively good %. In disc golf 90% of that energy just seems to disappear up untill this session.

Took a stack of putters, decided to forget everything I think I know about throwing and only focus on keeping my shoulder closed and arc infront of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__PDauojchY

It felt like I suddenly started to hit my "opponent" (disc) with a baseball bat instead of a feather duster and those putters went 260ft with no follow through, no xstep, no nothing... Is this the right feeling, excecution? All advice welcome.
How u generate lower body power looks good to me; legs first, then hips, then bonfire (called that?), then shoulders..... Looks like you gather the energy together in the final release. Seems like bat feeling is the right one. I have the same feeling and have improved tremendously; I don't give a **** about back reach (look at fin Seppo Paju, top 5 in length) but get the arc and a lot more disc rotation, and consistancy in direction. And length, due to glide and keeping it airborne. One thing u can improve I think is keeping the arm/disc lower to be in a stronger more powerful acceleration position and hence get even greater length. What do you think (after trying)...?
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 10-14-2018, 03:38 AM
Discusted Discusted is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 135
Niced 20 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
You are trying to learn something new while applying seven other concepts. I suggest you put the disc down. And swing both arms over your right hip. Just stand on your lead leg, and swing wide as you can swing them, to start. Slow back and forth in a wide arc, then make the swing in faster with your lead arm... Faster, faster, release the angle through the 10 o'clock. You will see your elbow collapse from lag as you rotate quickly forward.


That is all the reach back is really, is a setup to swing in a wide arc around your lead hip joint that starts with a lag force that bends the elbow.


That is all it has ever been... All this time.
Been practicing what you suggested there. It's similar to dingle arm drills that I've tried before to get that whip arm feeling. But now with the focus on the swinging (hip rotation) and what it does to the elbow bend. In that it wants to bend on its own and come narrow on its own. Then continuing hip rotation you can choose when to unload/uncock your elbow joint to create the arc. An arc that starts near the left pec/left arm is what I feel mostly, but I think you want it starting near center chest from what I see in videos. Anyways, when your elbow reaches 10:30, at that point you start unloading/uncocking the elbow and starting the arc? Or is it at 10:30 you elbow is already extended and your arm is straight, which means the elbow extension happens before 10:30 at some point?
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:29 PM
bozojim bozojim is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
You are trying to learn something new while applying seven other concepts. I suggest you put the disc down. And swing both arms over your right hip. Just stand on your lead leg, and swing wide as you can swing them, to start. Slow back and forth in a wide arc, then make the swing in faster with your lead arm... Faster, faster, release the angle through the 10 o'clock. You will see your elbow collapse from lag as you rotate quickly forward.


That is all the reach back is really, is a setup to swing in a wide arc around your lead hip joint that starts with a lag force that bends the elbow.


That is all it has ever been... All this time.
Can you please show me what exactly you’re talking about here? A while ago I tried implementing what you talk about in the original video for this thread, and it really ruined my timing. Maybe if I started from this beginning point? It just feels like you are completely nullifying the momentum from your reach back.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:51 PM
ThrowaEnvy's Avatar
ThrowaEnvy ThrowaEnvy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pender Is. B.C.
Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 1,427
Niced 372 Times in 263 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozojim View Post
Can you please show me what exactly you’re talking about here? A while ago I tried implementing what you talk about in the original video for this thread, and it really ruined my timing. Maybe if I started from this beginning point? It just feels like you are completely nullifying the momentum from your reach back.
Hey man it worked pretty good for me... it is a bit goofy timing wise depending on what you learned to start with but it did feel like an extra motion to me and the timing took a little effort. I have to use a four count instead of a three count in my head.

Check page 6 here and posts #53 on to like the end of the page lots of good slo mo clips so you can really watch.. There was also extra stuff in the "where did the Bradley Walker thread go" I can't remember who but they posted overhead photos in each stage of Mike C throwing beside a diagram.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 02-14-2019, 11:21 PM
bozojim bozojim is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Hey man it worked pretty good for me... it is a bit goofy timing wise depending on what you learned to start with but it did feel like an extra motion to me and the timing took a little effort. I have to use a four count instead of a three count in my head.

Check page 6 here and posts #53 on to like the end of the page lots of good slo mo clips so you can really watch.. There was also extra stuff in the "where did the Bradley Walker thread go" I can't remember who but they posted overhead photos in each stage of Mike C throwing beside a diagram.
Did you see any positive results? These guys make these videos but we don’t really know their bonafides, for all we know he can only throw 150 feet nose up. I’ll check out those clips that you suggested, but after countless hours of clip watching and playing over the past year and a half I’m not seeing much improvement.
Reply With Quote
 

  #160  
Old 02-14-2019, 11:25 PM
bozojim bozojim is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Hey man it worked pretty good for me... it is a bit goofy timing wise depending on what you learned to start with but it did feel like an extra motion to me and the timing took a little effort. I have to use a four count instead of a three count in my head.

Check page 6 here and posts #53 on to like the end of the page lots of good slo mo clips so you can really watch.. There was also extra stuff in the "where did the Bradley Walker thread go" I can't remember who but they posted overhead photos in each stage of Mike C throwing beside a diagram.
Just checked those clips, and although he claims they show what he is teaching, I’m not seeing it. Especially not to the 45 degree off target he is claiming.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Quick Thought on The Power Pocket Bradley Walker Technique & Strategy 224 09-25-2018 03:11 AM
Wrist injury in the Power Pocket DiscJunkie Technique & Strategy 15 04-19-2016 06:44 AM
Bracing and power pocket Check...or is it? Snaques Technique & Strategy 26 11-04-2015 02:50 PM
Power Pocket bfowler Technique & Strategy 2 06-20-2014 04:59 PM
Video & Pics: Form/Technique/Power Critique (warning: pretty comprehensive/long post) SirRaph Technique & Strategy 10 08-29-2011 05:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.