Old 02-18-2019, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.5
Courses Played: 359
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 69 Times in 41 Posts

Many were the times on bicycle tours in the New England area we would bed down in the as-yet-unused back sections of cemeteries.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 01:49 PM
Par Member

Niced 80 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
Given a course a 5 rating that is not the Best of the Best, is doing a disservice to those courses that are truly transcendent.
Another line-of-thought would be that any score from 4.75 to 5 is scored as a 5, so a "5" covers the top 5% courses (0.25/5).

Another line-of-thought would be that a "5" is the top score available out of 11 possible scores (0, 0.5, 1.0, ....., 4.5, 5.0), so a "5" represents the top 9% of courses.

And of course those are just %'s assuming an even distribution. If you play really good courses, maybe yours are skewed toward a "5". Maybe 25% of the courses you've played are in the top 9% of all courses, so they all got a "5" from you.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 345
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 555 Times in 224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorPutter View Post
Another line-of-thought would be that any score from 4.75 to 5 is scored as a 5, so a "5" covers the top 5% courses (0.25/5).

Another line-of-thought would be that a "5" is the top score available out of 11 possible scores (0, 0.5, 1.0, ....., 4.5, 5.0), so a "5" represents the top 9% of courses.

And of course those are just %'s assuming an even distribution. If you play really good courses, maybe yours are skewed toward a "5". Maybe 25% of the courses you've played are in the top 9% of all courses, so they all got a "5" from you.
I could see the argument of only playing the top courses in world, as his course numbers fall outside the presented percentages. The reviewer has indeed played a lot of top courses. I just find it hard to believe that someone whos played 62 courses could claim 5 or 6 courses as a 5. Is it possible? Sure. But as a traveler who reads a lot of reviews, I need to see more justification of why I should play this course over the nearby Selahs. Blake was the most recent reviewer to review all 4 of those courses (the Treys and Selahs) and have concluded by his analysis (and others) that my destination should be Harmony Bends instead.

I guess, I just wanted to give some positive constructive feedback by and encourage him by thumbing it up. I don't understand the several thumb downs on the review already. Hes played some amazing courses that I have wish-listed and want to hit. I think he could offer some great insight. Hopefully the thumb-downs wont discourage him, which I feel can drive people away from continuing to review courses.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 233
Niced 1,170 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
I could see the argument of only playing the top courses in world, as his course numbers fall outside the presented percentages. The reviewer has indeed played a lot of top courses. I just find it hard to believe that someone whos played 62 courses could claim 5 or 6 courses as a 5. Is it possible? Sure. But as a traveler who reads a lot of reviews, I need to see more justification of why I should play this course over the nearby Selahs. Blake was the most recent reviewer to review all 4 of those courses (the Treys and Selahs) and have concluded by his analysis (and others) that my destination should be Harmony Bends instead.

I guess, I just wanted to give some positive constructive feedback by and encourage him by thumbing it up. I don't understand the several thumb downs on the review already. Hes played some amazing courses that I have wish-listed and want to hit. I think he could offer some great insight. Hopefully the thumb-downs wont discourage him, which I feel can drive people away from continuing to review courses.
I think it is a pretty tough sell trying to tell anyone here how to review. What a five is to one persons, may be a different thing to another. I am not convinced anyone gets to claim their process is correct. I think we should encourage everyone to review as they wish and readers have the job of interpretation.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:57 PM
Birdie Member

I agree with those sentiments. I now wish i would have re-worded some of those thoughts differently. I do not claim that my process is better than anyone else's. the main purpose of the post was to offer encouragement. I think you would agree that thumbing down a review is not encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I think it is a pretty tough sell trying to tell anyone here how to review. What a five is to one persons, may be a different thing to another. I am not convinced anyone gets to claim their process is correct. I think we should encourage everyone to review as they wish and readers have the job of interpretation.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-18-2019, 08:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 233
Niced 1,170 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
I agree with those sentiments. I now wish i would have re-worded some of those thoughts differently. I do not claim that my process is better than anyone else's. the main purpose of the post was to offer encouragement. I think you would agree that thumbing down a review is not encouragement.
You have always purported yourself here as a positive, well spoken member. (and an excellent reviewer) I had no doubt your intentions were good. Many here see reviews as needing to fit into a nice, defined box. I am just not one of those people. Any review written without an agenda has value, to me. The prescribe amount of value is for me to decide. Much like reviews, though this opinion has no more value than others...lol.

I am not a fan of thumbs down, though I will use them for reviews of agenda (retaliation, vendetta, homerism....)

Niced: (2)
Old 02-19-2019, 08:08 AM
Par Member

Niced 80 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Blake was the most recent reviewer to review all 4 of those courses (the Treys and Selahs) and have concluded by his analysis (and others) that my destination should be Harmony Bends instead.
Yikes. I have played both Selah (many many times), Trey Something (once in cold weather), and Trey Swampy (3 holes), and I have NOT played Harmony Bends.

But even with that apparent bias, I can say with confidence that you should do Selah instead of Harmony. But that's just my opinion.

As for the reviewing, it's all good. The "different ways to rate" discussion has been had many times on these boards. Your points weren't bad or anything like that.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,098 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorPutter View Post
Yikes. I have played both Selah (many many times), Trey Something (once in cold weather), and Trey Swampy (3 holes), and I have NOT played Harmony Bends.

But even with that apparent bias, I can say with confidence that you should do Selah instead of Harmony. But that's just my opinion.
I haven't played either of them but Harmony looks about a thousand times more interesting than Selah to me...YMMV.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 58
Niced 168 Times in 103 Posts

Not trying to provoke or flame either of you, but looking at pictures of a course isn't the same as playing it. So when it comes to splitting hairs aka comparing two courses in the top 10, one should probably play both multiple times because of the assumed minimal difference in the mathematical rating. Either seem to be worth a road trip for a DGCR addict with a top 10 bucket list or something similar. There are some of us (Vkid) that have a bottom 10 bucket list. Badoomp tish

Last edited by NDABRUSH; 02-19-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDABRUSH View Post
Not trying to provoke or flame either of you, but looking at pictures of a course isn't the same as playing it. So when it comes to splitting hairs aka comparing two courses in the top 10, one should probably play both multiple times because of the assumed minimal difference in the mathematical rating. Either seem to be worth a road trip for a DGCR addict with a top 10 bucket list or something similar. There are some of us (Vkid) that have a bottom 10 bucket list. Badoomp tish
I recently played a bottom 10 bucket list course "The Path". It was so bad, it was good. Memories for lifetime. Easiest review I've ever written.

back to the Harmony and Saleh comparison. I am 100 percent certain that if i played all 3 courses, i'd score then all into my top 10. Probably two of them into my top 5. However, if presented with opportunity to only play one of them in the next five years. I'm heading to Missouri.

My top 5 bucket list courses, in no order.
Hamonry Bends
Flip City
Maple Hill
Bucksnort
Idlewild