Old 02-18-2019, 06:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 276 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
Necrobump: I got one of these, unprompted, as a gift. Is there a point to this disc? Crazy flippy but with low glide seems like a weird combination
One of my buddies still throws a DX Wolf as his main driver. He throws the Wolf > 300', way up in the air, starting on a steep hyzer and letting the disc to slowly turn the whole flight.

Crazy to watch. In the woods he's looking for lines way up in the canopy lol.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 07:50 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,546 Times in 1,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Maybe they sold the mold well in the past but they do not realize that the plastic type affects the way a mold sells or flies/feels in that plastic? Or maybe your local Academy Sports want new players to search for ever for the Grove disc that they are trying to replicate its flight? None of the Champion Grove discs fly even close to the same unless a disc was to be made scientifically exact to the 0.000 repeating forever exact Standards to have a mold fly or feel even close to the same as the next one. I should know, I grabbed two of the same Champion Groove mold back in 2014 and one of then had a bigger gap then the other, I checked the discs to see if one with smaller gap was a Monarch with wrong stamp and it was not. They only had two but it was enough in that small selection of discs at a Gas Station to know it was still made bad. That was when I got my first regular Champion Destroyer the more beefy 170 gram normal dome that just hyzers.
IMHO the Innova sales people duped the Big Box stores and PIASs into buying Grooves and other discs that aren't always wanted by the more serious DG players. For example, when the VRoc first came out, the PIAS nearest me had a TON of them. They'd overbought that mold, and they sat on their shelves for months going on years. I felt like they were given bad advice and ordered wayyyy too many.

The Dick's Sporting Goods always had a ton of Grooves, and I suspect Innova unloaded their vast quantities of Grooves onto the unsuspecting and unwitting Dick's Sporting Goods purchasers. Academy Sports is a little better, but try finding a DX Teebird at any of these Big Box stores? A bit harder to get.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 548 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
IMHO the Innova sales people duped the Big Box stores and PIASs into buying Grooves and other discs that aren't always wanted by the more serious DG players. For example, when the VRoc first came out, the PIAS nearest me had a TON of them. They'd overbought that mold, and they sat on their shelves for months going on years. I felt like they were given bad advice and ordered wayyyy too many.

The Dick's Sporting Goods always had a ton of Grooves, and I suspect Innova unloaded their vast quantities of Grooves onto the unsuspecting and unwitting Dick's Sporting Goods purchasers. Academy Sports is a little better, but try finding a DX Teebird at any of these Big Box stores? A bit harder to get.
I agree that Innova seems to sell their castoff discs to Dicks and other similar stores. You can find good discs at these places, but you'll inevitably end up seeing a ton of junk too.

As for the Wolf, its one of the most thoroughly useless discs I've ever seen. Even the gentlest of tosses flips it over violently. I'd rather just throw a Roc3 if I need a disc of that speed.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I agree that Innova seems to sell their castoff discs to Dicks and other similar stores. You can find good discs at these places, but you'll inevitably end up seeing a ton of junk too.

As for the Wolf, its one of the most thoroughly useless discs I've ever seen. Even the gentlest of tosses flips it over violently. I'd rather just throw a Roc3 if I need a disc of that speed.
Academy Sports has started bringing in more Dynamic Discs discs, though they still have a good bit of decent Innova discs.

I'm taking up for the Wolf because it gets no love, but if I need an understable approach or mid I'll use the Patrol, Wombat3, Mako3, or Prodigy M4 or M5...
Old 02-18-2019, 09:41 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 62 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Try finding a DX Teebird at any of these Big Box stores? A bit harder to get.
Walmart has been my consistent supplier of DX ‘birds for years actually.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
Walmart has been my consistent supplier of DX ‘birds for years actually.
Wal-mart's in my area have not been so kind. They have nothing or worse: Franklin discs...

Niced: (1)
Old 02-18-2019, 11:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 548 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Wal-mart's in my area have not been so kind. They have nothing or worse: Franklin discs...
I used to occasionally find those Franklin discs in lakes at a local course. At one point I was pulling a fair number of them out. I see now why so many of them ended up in the lake. They fly like absolute crap.

I wasn't aware the Franklins were even still being produced.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-19-2019, 01:05 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 543 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I used to occasionally find those Franklin discs in lakes at a local course. At one point I was pulling a fair number of them out. I see now why so many of them ended up in the lake. They fly like absolute crap.

I wasn't aware the Franklins were even still being produced.
You can get them on Amazon still with the basket that has improved a bit since they first made it, the original lightweight basket would last maybe a year being used a few times a week at only 1/2 hour at a time. Now the basket can last just you have to put it indoors after every use.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:23 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 543 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
I bet if they sell the toy Wham-O Frisbee's then they will have with 95% of them legal to use the last 5% are the Frisbee's that are too small to use or the mini markers.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 02-19-2019 at 01:26 AM.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:16 AM
Par Member

Niced 41 Times in 26 Posts

I tried the Wolf over and over but my Cobra is way more versatile. I'd like to not write the Wolf off and try it again though. I just find it very limited.